just got 942, can i return?

katellite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I just purchased a plan for the dish dvr 942, and then I stumbled onto this forum. I haven't actually received the 942 yet, but I fear it has been shipped. Is there any way I can like return, or switch this for the 622 when it is released? Since I just ordered is there some like grace cancellation period, so I could cancel and wait for the 622? Any ideas?

katellite

As long as you don't activate the receiver, you can call Dish to cancel the 942. They will send you a pre-paid shipping box from UPS so you can send it back.

In fact, I think that you can cancel up to 30 days after you activate (buyers remorse or something).

no you have only 3 days to cancel contract. if you sign one or two year commitment

Last edited:
volkodav, is that three days from when I activated the receiver? Because I think the installer came and activated when I wasn't there..:(

Is there a good chance it will be released on Feb 1, or could it be delayed further?

I just bought a new hdtv, so you think it's worth it to wait for the 622? I hear there is some new hdtv content only for mpeg-4 capable receivers and that the price of the 622 would be the same as the 942...

anyway, thank-you for the info..

My suggestion if this equipment was sent as a result of a new lease/programming plan...

Send the equipment back to Dish, and suggest/recommend/demand the new equipment (622/211). You may need to be prepared for a wait on this equipment being available however.

If it were me, I would not even start with a 942 at this time. If Dish can not furnish new equipment, I would not start a lease/contract with them until they can provide the 622/211.

G

bloomingtong, in retrospect I agree, I wasn't too aware of the issues, unfortunately..

rdinkel, the installer opened, installed, and activated my system yesterday :(

katellite said:
Because I think the installer came and activated when I wasn't there..:(

If you weren't there to sign the paperwork, you may still be able to return it. I thought that the installer needed a signature to complete the job. Any installers here that can offer some advice?

The person (brother) who was at my house at the time, the one whose name the account was under, signed the paperwork

katellite said:
bloomingtong, in retrospect I agree, I wasn't too aware of the issues, unfortunately..

rdinkel, the installer opened, installed, and activated my system yesterday :(
Regardless... as a new subscriber that just received the leased equipment, call Dish and let them know you will not accept equipment that is end of life (as far as Dish is concerned). Let them know that you are aware of the new equipment (622/211), and politely make them know that you will not accept what they have given you as your leased equipment. Who knows... if you really push you may be able to use the existing equipment until the new replacement models are available, and then they will then swap out the units at their cost. I know it can be done... When I subscribed, the 811 and 522 were just being released. Dish originally provided me with older model equipment. Thanks to advice from members of this website, I was able to get the end of life equipment switched out with the new models. Give it a try... it won't hurt.

You have 3 days from the time it was installed. Call Dish Network now and tell them you want the VIP622 since the 942 is being phased out in 2 weeks. If you settle for the 942 now you are only your wasting money.

Since the account is in your brother's name, and the system has already been activated. You have until Wednesday (which would be day 3 from your install) to make any changes to the equipment on your account.

As of now, Dish is saying February 1st for the launch of the new receivers. However, this is subject to change, they have been known in the past to delay due to software and other issues. Also, when a new product comes out there is usually still some bugs needing to be worked out. You are better off waiting a few months for any bugs to be worked out. The 942 took several months before it worked the way it was supposed to. But it's your choice whether you want to wait or not. But as far as keeping the 942 or not, you have until Wednesday or you will more than likely need to pay for changes, if are eligible at all, after that.

But again, since your brother is the one who is on the account, he has to be the one to make any changes. People not listed on the account cannot change anything!!!!

I will try that bloomingtong..

Volkodav, you summed up my dilemma well in your previous post. I would wait for the 622 receiver on the condition that it is released in two weeks , but since that may not happen for possibly even months ( I don't mind bugs), i'm not sure...I think today, 17th maybe my last day since the receiver was activated on the 15th.

What are the advantages of the 622 over the 942? As I understand there is ESPN2 and some additional HD broadcasts/ channels (?), because those are marked for mpeg-4-only receivers. This is somewhat important for me because I just purchased a Sony 60" SXRD 1080p TV which I want to use to its full capacity. However if I wait and stick with my old non-hd dish equipment I won't have any HD programming save for my local OTA stations. Also, I read on another thread that the price is the same as the 942 but the hard drive has 70GB more space.. Any other compelling reasons?

I can get my hands on an old dish 6000 receiver with HD capability, but no DVR..I'm also not quite sure how to integrate this with my current setup. The last time I tried it I only got the dish preview channel (101 I think), I think it may have something to do with my switch setup, or maybe since it is a very old receiver something else needs to be done. If I do eliminate the 942 from my setup and use some old receivers, will I be eligible for the same promotion (price) for the 622 (like I got for the 942) that I would have gotten had I signed up when the 622 was already available? I will ask these things of Dish Network also..

Most likely I will sign up again after a year, so I want this stuff to last until then.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Last edited:
Dishpointer said:
You have 3 days from the time it was installed. Call Dish Network now and tell them you want the VIP622 since the 942 is being phased out in 2 weeks. If you settle for the 942 now you are only your wasting money.

The 942 is not being phased out in 2 weeks. Any current HD Paks will still receive their HD programming. It is only if you want the new ESPN2HD and UHD (plus the handful of new VOOM channels) that you need to upgrade.

The 942 will probably be useful for at least a year or more. I really don't see the total conversion to MPEG-4 being all that quick.

Weezknight said:
The 942 is not being phased out in 2 weeks. Any current HD Paks will still receive their HD programming. It is only if you want the new ESPN2HD and UHD (plus the handful of new VOOM channels) that you need to upgrade.
The 942 will probably be useful for at least a year or more. I really don't see the total conversion to MPEG-4 being all that quick.

You must have just purchased a 942 and you don't want to accept the facts. You have not kept up with the news if you don't think the 942 is being phased out. Yes it is still usefull and probably will be for the next 1-2 years but after Feb 1, Dish won't activate any more MPEG 2 HD receivers. If they won't activate them after Feb 1, then the resale value is $0.00. What does that mean to you? If you want to purchase a receiver that is being replaced then go ahead. A wise person would wait 2 weeks and be ready for what the future holds. I for one would atleast like the option to watch the new channels even if I decided I didn't want them.

Dishpointer said:
You must have just purchased a 942 and you don't want to accept the facts. You have not kept up with the news if you don't think the 942 is being phased out. Yes it is still usefull and probably will be for the next 1-2 years but after Feb 1, Dish won't activate any more MPEG 2 HD receivers. If they won't activate them after Feb 1, then the resale value is $0.00. What does that mean to you? If you want to purchase a receiver that is being replaced then go ahead. A wise person would wait 2 weeks and be ready for what the future holds. I for one would atleast like the option to watch the new channels even if I decided I didn't want them.

So quick to judge around these parts. Actually I have an 811 that I lease, so my upgrade path is going to be a piece of cake. I was merely pointing out that the current HD Paks aren't disappearing anytime soon, in terms of those already subscribed.

we had 622 training today, it looks good on paper. people who will get 622 right away on 2/1 have to pay $299. but if thy wait till 4/1 they will be credited $200 in certain amount of time. and if you want ESPN2 in HD then you have to go with MPEG-4 but if you happy with what you have you can stay with 942

volkodav said:
we had 622 training today, it looks good on paper. people who will get 622 right away on 2/1 have to pay $299. but if thy wait till 4/1 they will be credited $200 in certain amount of time. and if you want ESPN2 in HD then you have to go with MPEG-4 but if you happy with what you have you can stay with 942

What about people who own the 942? Do I have to turn in a owned 942 and still pay $299?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts