Just got a call from Dish

It is better to tell them that you are not interested and hang up. After all, these folks are just trying to make a living, also.

I agree with you, until they get rude, and then the gloves are off in my opinion. I try to give them a no, instead of hanging up in there ear. That is sometimes long enough for them to say something inappropiate.

I think it's odd that they start calling you right after you make the switch. Do they really think that days after you have switched, that they can convince you to come back? I mean, people left for a reason and more than likely that reason is still valid after a few days.

I think it's odd that they start calling you right after you make the switch. Do they really think that days after you have switched, that they can convince you to come back? I mean, people left for a reason and more than likely that reason is still valid after a few days.

And likely they are now have a commitment with the new service provider.. if it is Direct, anyway.

I really think telemarketing is an invasion of your privacy. I always tell them if they have a bonifide offer, send it to me in the mail and I would evaluate it carefully. We tell them we do not deal with telemarketers. My girlfriend's best line to the telemarketer was when they denied being a telemarketer: "I don't care what you tell your friends, you are a telemarketer".

This is a "prank call" is a telemarketer from Littleton, Colorado selling a satellite system. Wonder who it is? :) Good stuff.

or better yet, get on the Do-Not-Call list

That won't stop these particular calls. There is an exemption where there is an established business relationship. The OP did that by becoming a DISH subscriber. Even though he cancelled, the relationship is still intact.

I always tell the telemarketers to hang on, my baby is crying and I'll be right back. Then I just leave the phone off hook and go back to whatever I was doing. Usually around 15 minutes they hang up.

We used to have a running tally on how long we could keep them waiting. This meant coming back around 10 minutes later and getting them to hold yet again, and repeating the process. We kept one guy for an hour this way.

I always tell the telemarketers to hang on, my baby is crying and I'll be right back. Then I just leave the phone off hook and go back to whatever I was doing. Usually around 15 minutes they hang up.

Yup - this is how I used to do it too ... "hang on .. ok ... ? " then just place the receiver on the table next to me ... generally only took them a few mins to hang up.

I now use Viatalk however and they have a "custom call routing" service ... so if a certain number calls - you can forward it to another number .. or send it directly to voicemail or answer with a message that you no longer want to get calls from them ...

I like to forward the sales number of companies right back to the sales number of the company that is calling.

So .. if Sirius calls trying to sell me a subscription - and the call is automatically forwarded to the Sirius sales number .... the salesman ends up taking up time from another salesman ... and my phone never rings ... perfect :)

We used to have a running tally on how long we could keep them waiting. This meant coming back around 10 minutes later and getting them to hold yet again, and repeating the process. We kept one guy for an hour this way.

LMAO! Vegas man that is cruel but also too funny! I cant believe someone would stay on for an hour. :eek:

I hate them as much as anyone else, but, they are really just trying to make a living and support their families, people...If you dont want what they are selling, then just say "not interested", and hang up..if you have caller ID, then dont bother answering it..
Its amazing how so many people think its ok to be rude to others...these people arent trying to ruin your life, they are just trying to feed their families...

think about that next time you are tempted to get into it with a telemarketer...

I hate them as much as anyone else, but, they are really just trying to make a living and support their families, people...If you dont want what they are selling, then just say "not interested", and hang up..if you have caller ID, then dont bother answering it..
Its amazing how so many people think its ok to be rude to others...these people arent trying to ruin your life, they are just trying to feed their families...

think about that next time you are tempted to get into it with a telemarketer...

No sweat off my back. Far as I'm concerned, you call my house on my time, then you're gonna play by my rules. It's not like they can't make a living doing a real job.

to some unfortunate souls, this IS the only REAL job they qualify for...picking on one of them sometimes is like picking on a child, especially since many of them stuck in those jobs have intelligence similiar to a child..
I don't support telemarketers, no have I ever worked as one, I just feel sorry for anyone stuck doing that miserable job..

Last edited:
I don't support telemarketers, no have I ever worked as one, I just feel sorry for anyone stuck doing that miserable job..

That I have to agree with. Also I am sure those that dont take 'no' for an answer are told to do that by the bosses and hate it. Still, dealing with them is much more preferable than door to door solicitors.

You should report the call to the FTC and your state attorney general. Technically, they are engaging in (possibly interstate) fraud.

Ted

to some unfortunate souls, this IS the only REAL job they qualify for...picking on one of them sometimes is like picking on a child, especially since many of them stuck in those jobs have intelligence similiar to a child..

If what you say is true they should be able to get jobs as entry level Dish CSRs. Funny thing though is it would probually still be better than overseas support.

If what you say is true they should be able to get jobs as entry level Dish CSRs. Funny thing though is it would probually still be better than overseas support.

Now think about this for a minute. Dish is nickeling and diming us subs for every little thing now, and you think they are gonna pay relocation expenses for these telemarketers to become foreign csr??? And then on top of it, they would have to send these csr's to school to learn their best east indian accent!!!

No way!! Spend that money on bringing me some more SD Jewelry and Knife Channels!!!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)