Just Got Directv and love it.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree that in MOST cases, the PQ difference is small (In the favor of D* in my opinion only). However making comparisons at two different places, on two different TVs, that may be calibrated differently is not an accurate way to judge (I admit, most people can not do it any other way)
PQ is not why I switched at all; I needed more HD and was tired of waiting a year after D* for everything. I hope D* keeps the HD leader crown although I could care less if they ever add Lifetime or other such channels. Anyways I had both a 622 and a HR22 hooked up to my onkyo 606 via hdmi all the way around then to my 1080p Sammy. I kept switching back and forth to compare because the D* looked better but I struggled to define how just sharper or more real if that makes sense. That said I don't think the PQ argument should even be considered in switching as it is basically a wash and the other reasons carry a lot more weight.

After my first day with Directv I think I can say something about picture quality :

-SD looks pretty bad. As bad as 3 years ago wen I cancelled my service due to their HD-Lite policy.

-HD MPEG4 looks decent, not as good as my cable but 3 times more channels. Much better than the old MPEG2, though.

-My pleasant surprise was the HD DVR (HR22). MUCH better than I was expecting, coming from a TiVo S3 which I love. It's actually very similar feature-wise and so far no complains beside the speed but my TiVo is not much better.

- I got a MDU system (MFH2) in my condo. Signal is VERY strong and we have access to all satellites. Our package was a real good deal and my bill was cut by half compared to my old cable, with much more HD channels. Overall, I'm a happy camper!

Get your eyes checked and then buy a good HDTV and come back with your findings.

Sharp Aquos tv's are actually quite good for the most part.

Pretty much any lcd tv from the "three S's" (Samsung/Sony/Sharp) is going to be a good quality tv... I've got a Samsung myself. Those three companies are said by many to make the best lcd sets.

Much like the two P's (Panasonic/Pioneer) are deemed by most to make the best plasma sets.... although Pioneer is soon to stop television production.

Furthermore while I do think DirecTv has a better overall picture, I don't think it's the huge difference that many people are making it out to be.

Around the time I got my Samsung LCD as a Christmas gift to myself, I along with my brother and sister also purchased a hdtv for my father who has Dish Network (he mainly has it for the same reason I had it for a long time.. locals aren't available via DirecTV) His TV isn't the same calibur as my Samsung.. it's a 40 inch Toshiba that was only around 700 bucks.

While his standard definition leaves a lot to be desired... likely not due to Dish Network's service so much, as due to the inexpensive price tag... his hd channels still look very good for the most part. Not as good as mine look via DirecTV, but still quite good all the same.. and with an inferior television to boot.

I have had DirecTV and Dish Network both installed on my TV. I can barely tell the difference in PQ, but Dish's DVR is better. That said, if DirecTV ever gets a 3-hour guide, MRV and speeds it up a bit, I'll be happy. It's already as stable as my 722 was on E*.

My main problem is that DirecTV sells itself as the HD leader, but is no longer acting like it.

My main problem is that DirecTV sells itself as the HD leader, but is no longer acting like it.
Who is the HD leader?
D* can always add more HD for my taste, but right now they have more than anyone and even April 1st when E* adds the ones D* has had for a year, D* will still hold the crown of HD leader.
E* does have Fishing, Lifetime and Lifetime Movies in HD which I will completely bypass if they ever get added to D*.
I guess I am a little confused as to your statement; please elaborate.

You actually believe the Aquos is not a good TV?
I think they are good, but I think they were better (when compared to the competition a couple of years ago). They have still improved, I just think the gap has been closed, or eliminated in some cases. I would still say they are a top tier LCD

Last edited:
As a customer of Netflix, I think D* HD movie channels are enough. My only wish is the Travel Channel HD .

As a customer of Netflix, I think D* HD movie channels are enough. My only wish is the Travel Channel HD .
As a customer of Netflix NONE of the movies on the premium channels interest me. I like some original content but having more HD movie channels that show OLD movies is not something I would ever pay for. Instead I would love to see ALL national HD feeds added of course and if D* would add Netflix streaming to the HR2x I would be set. :up

I just got my HD DVR hooked up to the Internet. So far I am liking the On Demand Choices what other benefits do I get by having my receiver plugged into the internet?

I just got my HD DVR hooked up to the Internet. So far I am liking the On Demand Choices what other benefits do I get by having my receiver plugged into the internet?

Check out HR2x Networking 101 - DBSTalk.Com for some of the other things you can do. Like use Windows Media Player to allow you to view MPEG's, listen to MP3's and view some video files from your network attached PC. You can also get a program called PlayOn that allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, CNN and others content via your HR2X. You can also get the beta Direct2PC program from the DirecTV web site DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC that allows a PC to view recorded (not live) content from the HR2X (only local connections, not via the internet). They're also working on Multi Room Viewing which will allow you to view recorded content via the network connection on a H21/23 receiver also connected to the network.

Check out PlayOn from PlayOn Digital Media Server & ActiveTV | MediaMall Technologies to stream Netflix via the HR2X's.
Come on rad. Surely I don't come across as some one that would settle for SD Netflix streaming being re-encoded again before it even gets to my eyes. :p

I use my 360 now for Netflix and to be honest my 7yr old watches it more than me but l have only put HD toons in their for her so when it is on the TV it looks very nice.

Come on rad. Surely I don't come across as some one that would settle for SD Netflix streaming being re-encoded again before it even gets to my eyes. :p

I use my 360 now for Netflix and to be honest my 7yr old watches it more than me but l have only put HD toons in their for her so when it is on the TV it looks very nice.

Picky, picky, picky. I don't use it for movies but it comes in handy when the wife wants to watch the early season of TV shows that she missed when they first aired. I've used it for some old stuff like the BBC's version of Hitchhikers Guide. Yea, it's not HD but it's not that bad for limited applications IMHO.

How does the netflix feature compare to what you find in the xbox marketplace? We use that, and the playstation store, quite a bit to download movies and shows. Decent quality.

How does the netflix feature compare to what you find in the xbox marketplace? We use that, and the playstation store, quite a bit to download movies and shows. Decent quality.

Well of course the biggest reason to use the Neflix streaming is the all you can eat model. The reason to use the xbox is because it supports the HD content they offer. Other netflix sources such as playon only support SD. Quality is good (great for toons) with my RR internet; sux the big one with my mom's DSL (she has the lowest internet package) as it gets pretty pixelated.
Now the bad: all the netflix content is not available to stream and even less is in HD. So streaming the new release of a DVD that just hit shelves is not possible. Great for TV series and great for keeping the DVR less full of kid content.
And more bad: you have to subscribe to xbox live Gold to use the netflix streaming for now. Hopefully that will change for those that don't need the gold pack.

I recently change from comcast to directv and was happy with everything but the HD PQ. Definitely a little watered down on my home theater screen. My answer was to by the $49 AM-21 w/ a $25 antenna in the attic. It makes a difference on shows like 24. So I figure for $75, I fixed the problem with HD lite and I get all the other benefits of Directv (like media share).

Who is the HD leader?
D* can always add more HD for my taste, but right now they have more than anyone and even April 1st when E* adds the ones D* has had for a year, D* will still hold the crown of HD leader.
E* does have Fishing, Lifetime and Lifetime Movies in HD which I will completely bypass if they ever get added to D*.
I guess I am a little confused as to your statement; please elaborate.

A quick scan of this forum shows you the big-time HD channels that DirecTV does not have that many here want. These include:

• ESPNU HD
  • Travel Channel HD
  • AMC HD
  • Premiums in HD (especially many of the HBO channels)
  • Lifetime HD, Lifetime Movies HD (as you mentioned)
  • WFN HD (you mentioned)

I don't care about most of those channels. Travel and ESPNU are the only ones I'd ever watch. That said, there are a lot of people who subscribe to D* and it takes all different types to make the world go 'round (figuratively speaking, of course). :)

D* has the capacity to add these and hasn't.

I'm still glad I switched to D*, and I like it better than E*. I just think they should stop calling themselves the HD leader when Dish is just a few channels away. They aren't the clear HD leader anymore. For many people, Dish Network has more HD channels that they would watch. My parents are a perfect example; they watch:

1. FNC HD
  2. OTA locals in HD
  3. Travel Channel HD

Me? I like having HD Sports, Speed HD, Nick HD, Smithsonian HD (it's STUPID that Dish pulled that channel) and my locals in HD on satellite. I also like the huge On-Demand service and use Media Share. For me, D* is a better choice. At one time, D* was the best choice for EVERYONE who wanted HD. That's just not true anymore. That's what I meant when I wrote that. :)

DISH does not have ESPNU HD or AMC HD either so probably it's not fair to list them unless you want to list every HD channel D* doesn't have and complain if D* doesn't add everyone the first day it is available. That is just not realistic. I understand the dismay of D* not having Travel-HD and maybe for the chick flick lovers the LIFETIMEs. Premiums are an extra cost so we might as well count who has the most PPVs too. I more or less switched for SPIKE-HD myself and count on D* and E* pushing each other to add more; for the last year E* has done little pushing. Hopefully that will change soon.
D* has the capacity to add these and hasn't.
It takes more than capacity to add channels. E* chose the ones they were willing to hold off on and D* has too. Obviously D* has the sub growth as proof they are making better decisions as to which to add and which to spend more time negotiating.
I just think they should stop calling themselves the HD leader when Dish is just a few channels away. They aren't the clear HD leader anymore. For many people, Dish Network has more HD channels that they would watch.
Ok maybe the Pitsburgh Stealers shouldn't call themselves the Superbowl Champs because they only had a few more points than the Arizona Carninals. For many people the points the Cardinals scored were more enjoyable. :rolleyes:
Sorry, but whoever has more HD has the right to claim that title I thought that when E* was claiming it they would do everything they could to be able to keep claiming it as I hope D* will do the same. E* floundered the lead like you said, lets see if D* does the same.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)