Just got Fios TV .. Questions ...

Zerkon

Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Are there any hidden menus to access additional settings?
A) - All HD channels seem to be comming thru from the box as "720p".
B) all regular channels are stretched to fit the screen.
Are there any menus to access "Pass thru mode" or Auto HDMI, & aspect/screen settings??
Plasma hooked up thru an HDMI cable to Multi room DVR box.

For HD, just power on the box. With the remote hit power then ok. There should be a setting in there for 1080i.

As for SD, set it to 480i (no over-ride) and it will send them thru as 480i, for your TV to do with what it will. You can also set it to 1080i and it will pillar box SD content.

-John

For HD, just power on the box. With the remote hit power then ok. There should be a setting in there for 1080i.......
-John

This doesn't seem to work for me if I understand correctly ...
I tried to follow your above a few ways:

A) - If I power on the STB, then with the remote hit "power" it shuts off the box, & then hitting "OK" does nothing.

B) - IF I leave the box off, then hit "Power, then "OK", the hitting of "OK" just brings up the channel bar info, no HD settings.

C) I tried hitting both at the same time, but that did not work either....

IT's a QIP-6416-2 Box.

This doesn't seem to work for me if I understand correctly ...
I tried to follow your above a few ways:

A) - If I power on the STB, then with the remote hit "power" it shuts off the box, & then hitting "OK" does nothing.

B) - IF I leave the box off, then hit "Power, then "OK", the hitting of "OK" just brings up the channel bar info, no HD settings.

C) I tried hitting both at the same time, but that did not work either....

IT's a QIP-6416-2 Box.

Zerkon-
When you follow "A", hit MENU (on your remote) instead of OK. This is where the mixup is.

Hitting MENU will bring up the HD settings.

Thanks .. I'm at work, I'll try that when I get home tonite ...
BTW .. What sort of HD display choices/options could I expect to see? ..

** Also, I tried using the Multiroom DVR box last night , I set it to record both "Old Christine" CBS 8:30-9PM, & "Heroes" NBC, 9-10PM ...
What i noticed was that at 8:59 a message appeared on the TV asking me if it was "ok" to switch to NBC (my wife was watching ABC at the time), ..... eventually I selected OK since I needed Heroes , which caused her to miss part of the ABC program .. Once switched over to NBC , & I tried to change channels back to ABC (At 9:00 & 9:01), , & it kept saying that I would have to discontinue recording NBC in order to switch the channel..
So I had to watch the beginning of Heroes until 9:02 , when it allowed the switch due to the CBS recording stopped, ...
By selecting "old Christine" from the guide, It seemed to want to auto record that CBS show from 8:29-9:02..??
& due to having just 2 tuners, I then can't be watching a 3rd show during the "overlap" couple of mins ...
That seemed messed up, does it "add" mins to the shows, & cause these conflict messages... I thought if I set it to record just 1 show per time slot ( 8:30-9, 9-10, 10-11 ect..), I could "seamlessly be watching another channel with no interruptions.. (Like my VCR did :) )... Any thoughts ...??

Thanks .. I'm at work, I'll try that when I get home tonite ...
BTW .. What sort of HD display choices/options could I expect to see? ..

** Also, I tried using the Multiroom DVR box last night , I set it to record both "Old Christine" CBS 8:30-9PM, & "Heroes" NBC, 9-10PM ...
What i noticed was that at 8:59 a message appeared on the TV asking me if it was "ok" to switch to NBC (my wife was watching ABC at the time), ..... eventually I selected OK since I needed Heroes , which caused her to miss part of the ABC program .. Once switched over to NBC , & I tried to change channels back to ABC (At 9:00 & 9:01), , & it kept saying that I would have to discontinue recording NBC in order to switch the channel..
So I had to watch the beginning of Heroes until 9:02 , when it allowed the switch due to the CBS recording stopped, ...
By selecting "old Christine" from the guide, It seemed to want to auto record that CBS show from 8:29-9:02..??
& due to having just 2 tuners, I then can't be watching a 3rd show during the "overlap" couple of mins ...
That seemed messed up, does it "add" mins to the shows, & cause these conflict messages... I thought if I set it to record just 1 show per time slot ( 8:30-9, 9-10, 10-11 ect..), I could "seamlessly be watching another channel with no interruptions.. (Like my VCR did :) )... Any thoughts ...??

Ahhh, you have run into the timeslot jigsaw puzzle. To fix this, you will need to go into the recording options and tell it explicitly when you want to start and stop recording. When VZ pushed out the last update they extended the record times because the affiliates were starting their shows before the hour. They do this because so many of us are recording that the sponsers ads are getting missed.:mad: This means that is you 'fix' it you will end up missing the first part of the show. (Notice how the first 2 minutes are usually extremely entertaining now)

Add this to the list of things that piss you off but you are helpless to fix. Until someone finds a way to sell TV signals without advertisers I am afreaid that we are stuck with the affaliates trying to come up with ingenious ways to insure their sponsers appropriate viewership.

You will also notice that some prime time shows start and end 5 minutes befire the hour now. Damn those sponsers.

Ahhh, you have run into the timeslot jigsaw puzzle. To fix this, you will need to go into the recording options and tell it explicitly when you want to start and stop recording. When VZ pushed out the last update they extended the record times because the affiliates were starting their shows before the hour. They do this because so many of us are recording that the sponsers ads are getting missed.:mad: This means that is you 'fix' it you will end up missing the first part of the show. (Notice how the first 2 minutes are usually extremely entertaining now)

Add this to the list of things that piss you off but you are helpless to fix. Until someone finds a way to sell TV signals without advertisers I am afreaid that we are stuck with the affaliates trying to come up with ingenious ways to insure their sponsers appropriate viewership.

You will also notice that some prime time shows start and end 5 minutes befire the hour now. Damn those sponsers.

I can't stand this either. We came from D* with Tivo, and the Tivo seemed smart enough to know to change the channel when the show was scheduled to start. Apparently this DVR is not that smart.

Also, I HATE not having 2 live tuners to switch back and forth to.

So , to clarify, EVERY "normal" start-time show you select to record will actually start a minute or 2 before, & end a minute or 2 after, causing conflicts if you happen to be watching TV (a 3rd channel), at that time?

I can't stand this either. We came from D* with Tivo, and the Tivo seemed smart enough to know to change the channel when the show was scheduled to start. Apparently this DVR is not that smart.

Also, I HATE not having 2 live tuners to switch back and forth to.
I serioulsy hope VZ will respond to not having 2 live tuners - I also switched from DTV and absolutely loved the 2 live tuners during football season!

I serioulsy hope VZ will respond to not having 2 live tuners - I also switched from DTV and absolutely loved the 2 live tuners during football season!

Noone ever stated that you dont have 2 live tuners. This is not a Verizon problem. The network affiliates have figured out a way to force you to syat tuned whie they spout their sponsers propeganda by starting the shows before the hour then inserting the commercials after the hour. This way those of us that choose to record our favorite shows will either HAVE to watch the commercials or miss the leading portion of the show. Again, this is not Verizon doing this. They do have dual tuners in their PVR devices.

I suspect that as soon as someone figures a way to 'fix' this little problem the affiliates will come up with another way to 'break' us. It's all about the mighty dollar or more accurate who can take more of your dollars.

Noone ever stated that you dont have 2 live tuners. This is not a Verizon problem. ....
If you mean the same problem I was also referring to as well, it IS a Verizon specific problem.
The Verizon DVR is programmed so that it starts Every Single show 1 min before guide start, & ends 2 mins after Guide end & you can't "de-select this .
Every single recorded show, every single channel.
So if you are recording 3 shows tonite, 9:00-9:30, 9:30-10 & 10-10:30, (say, TRAV , USA & PBS) while watching NBC 9-11PM on the other tuner,
you will be Forced thru a pop up alert at 9:29 to switch your view tuner to USA, where it must stay until 9:32 or "lose" that recording.
After missing 3 mins of your favorite show,
Again at 9:59 you will have an alert to switch the view tuner to PBS & must keep it there until 10:02..
Keep in mind you have not scheduled more than 1 show at a time, & none to be recording in any same time slot, nor does the guide list any of these shows times as ending at X:02 or Starting at X:59, & they in fact start & end as normal, Yet you can't simply watch TV with your dual tuner DVD at these overlap times!
This is a Verison Fios specific update issue that even other cable companies using the same box don't have.

Last edited:
Noone ever stated that you dont have 2 live tuners. This is not a Verizon problem. The network affiliates have figured out a way to force you to syat tuned whie they spout their sponsers propeganda by starting the shows before the hour then inserting the commercials after the hour. This way those of us that choose to record our favorite shows will either HAVE to watch the commercials or miss the leading portion of the show. Again, this is not Verizon doing this. They do have dual tuners in their PVR devices.

I suspect that as soon as someone figures a way to 'fix' this little problem the affiliates will come up with another way to 'break' us. It's all about the mighty dollar or more accurate who can take more of your dollars.

Assumming you are correct :eek: about the 2 live tuners; how does one put one live show on hold and switch to another while keeping your place in the first? I suspect that 2 tuners are NOT available for live viewing, but rather only for DVR service and we are restricted to 1 tuner for live viewing:mad:

Assumming you are correct :eek: about the 2 live tuners; how does one put one live show on hold and switch to another while keeping your place in the first? I suspect that 2 tuners are NOT available for live viewing, but rather only for DVR service and we are restricted to 1 tuner for live viewing:mad:

I stand corrected Pete. You are in fact spot on.

Assumming you are correct :eek: about the 2 live tuners; how does one put one live show on hold and switch to another while keeping your place in the first? .......:mad:

A work around that allows you to do what you ask is You can hit the "record" button on the live show you are about to switch away from, & then when you want to "switch back" simply select it from the DVR recordings screen .. likewise you can hit record on the 2nd live show, & then you can immediatley be switching between the 2 within the DVR select screen with no buffer loss .. they will continue to record / buffer while you are watching or switching between them with no loss on either show.

A work around that allows you to do what you ask is You can hit the "record" button on the live show you are about to switch away from, & then when you want to "switch back" simply select it from the DVR recordings screen .. likewise you can hit record on the 2nd live show, & then you can immediatley be switching between the 2 within the DVR select screen with no buffer loss .. they will continue to record / buffer while you are watching or switching between them with no loss on either show.

Thanks Zerkon, I had that figured out. :) Hopefully this work around certainly is not the 'final solution' When using D* all we had to do was hit pause and then live TV -----much more elegant than switching between recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts