Just got hooked up to dish

lynn williams

Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
center junction,iowa
last week we got hooked up to dish, the locals channels look fine but when we watch something off of on demand or a movie the picture looks dull not a sharp bright picture like we had with direct tv , we have a 70 in sharp tv

last week we got hooked up to dish, the locals channels look fine but when we watch something off of on demand or a movie the picture looks dull not a sharp bright picture like we had with direct tv , we have a 70 in sharp tv

Hi Lynn,

Have you recalibrated your TV for Dish? Each source will generate a different picture (DVD, DVR, Blu-Ray, Roku, etc.) Also, I find that Dish's local channels look better than many of their cable channels or On Demand on my 70" Sony. The general consensus is DirecTV has a somewhat better picture quality than Dish due to using more bandwidth to deliver the signal. Calibrating the TV should help, but it will only do so much on some channels in my experience.

Are you recording the HD version and what are your internet speeds? Slower internet can do that, even if you let it fully download first.

OnDemand is generally delivered over the internet so satellite bandwidth shouldn't be involved in that equation.

Yeah, but I haven't found On Demand content to be better, on average, than the content delivered via satellite.