Just got Hopper Plus and Joey 4.0

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PugPower

Original poster
Oct 14, 2022
San Diego, CA
I just recently got a Hopper Plus and a Joey 4.0 upgrade to my existing equipment. My price-lock agreement with Dish expired so when I called to negotiate a new price they offered me the Hopper plus and Joey 4.0 at no cost. Previously I had the Hopper 3 and a Joey 3.0. I have been a Dish subscriber for over 7 years. My initial impressions include some pros and cons.
  • The video quality on both units is much improved with the new equipment. Everything is broadcast in HDR. I have one TV that supports HDR and one doesn't, both are 1080P. There is a noticeable video quality improvement on both TV's. It would be nice if you could turn the HDR off for certain channels.
  • The Joey 4.0 is very fast on the guides, menus, etc. Faster than the 3.0.
  • The Hopper 3 is slower now when navigating the menus, guide, etc. compared to w/o the Hopper Plus
  • You can now access the google store and d/l new apps and games
  • Some apps game work great: HBO, Netflix, Disney+, Prime. Prime and Netflix work better than w/o the Plus.
  • Some apps are hit or miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't: Hulu and Peacock
  • When you turn the TV's on they sometimes act strange and you have to hit addl. buttons to get a picture or menu.
Overall I think the upgrade is worth it, if not just for the improved video quality. I hope over time Dish fixes some of the bugs because this new equipment shows a lot of potential.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just recently got a Hopper Plus and a Joey 4.0 upgrade to my existing equipment. My price-lock agreement with Dish expired so when I called to negotiate a new price they offered me the Hopper plus and Joey 4.0 at no cost. Previously I had the Hopper 3 and a Joey 3.0. I have been a Dish subscriber for over 7 years. My initial impressions include some pros and cons.
  • The video quality on both units is much improved with the new equipment. Everything is broadcast in HDR. I have one TV that supports HDR and one doesn't, both are 1080P. There is a noticeable video quality improvement on both TV's. It would be nice if you could turn the HDR off for certain channels.
  • The Hopper 3 is slower now when navigating the menus, guide, etc. compared to w/o the Hopper Plus
  • Some apps game work great: HBO, Netflix, Disney+, Prime. Prime and Netflix work better than w/o the Plus.
  • Some apps are hit or miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't: Hulu and Peacock
  • When you turn the TV's on they sometimes act strange and you have to hit addl. buttons to get a picture or menu.
Overall I think the upgrade is worth it, if not just for the improved video quality. I hope over time Dish fixes some of the bugs because this new equipment shows a lot of potential.
Do you have picture on picture on the Joey 4?

Was there a charge for the "upgrade"? My two years is up in a few months.

I had to make some adjustments to the picture on one of my TV's. The TV without HDR looks great and no adjustments were neccessary. Since attaching the Hopper+ the picture on this TV has a noticeably higher contrast and sharpness compared to before. The HDR TV with the new Joey 4.0 needed reductions in the sharpnesss, contrast, and black levels. After attaching the Hopper+ and Joey 4.0 this TV's contrast was through the roof and the picture was harsh on some channels with no details in the blacks. After adjustments it looks great.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Most of the apps that I had problems with initially have sorted themselves out and work fine now with the exception of Hulu. According to forum posts this is a problem with the Andorid TV Hulu app not Dish hardware or software. The Hulu app works but tends to act strange and is not ideal.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts