Just got Hopper Plus and Joey 4.0

PugPower

Original poster
Oct 14, 2022
San Diego, CA
I just recently got a Hopper Plus and a Joey 4.0 upgrade to my existing equipment. My price-lock agreement with Dish expired so when I called to negotiate a new price they offered me the Hopper plus and Joey 4.0 at no cost. Previously I had the Hopper 3 and a Joey 3.0. I have been a Dish subscriber for over 7 years. My initial impressions include some pros and cons.
  • The video quality on both units is much improved with the new equipment. Everything is broadcast in HDR. I have one TV that supports HDR and one doesn't, both are 1080P. There is a noticeable video quality improvement on both TV's. It would be nice if you could turn the HDR off for certain channels.
  • The Joey 4.0 is very fast on the guides, menus, etc. Faster than the 3.0.
  • The Hopper 3 is slower now when navigating the menus, guide, etc. compared to w/o the Hopper Plus
  • You can now access the google store and d/l new apps and games
  • Some apps game work great: HBO, Netflix, Disney+, Prime. Prime and Netflix work better than w/o the Plus.
  • Some apps are hit or miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't: Hulu and Peacock
  • When you turn the TV's on they sometimes act strange and you have to hit addl. buttons to get a picture or menu.
Overall I think the upgrade is worth it, if not just for the improved video quality. I hope over time Dish fixes some of the bugs because this new equipment shows a lot of potential.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just recently got a Hopper Plus and a Joey 4.0 upgrade to my existing equipment. My price-lock agreement with Dish expired so when I called to negotiate a new price they offered me the Hopper plus and Joey 4.0 at no cost. Previously I had the Hopper 3 and a Joey 3.0. I have been a Dish subscriber for over 7 years. My initial impressions include some pros and cons.
  • The video quality on both units is much improved with the new equipment. Everything is broadcast in HDR. I have one TV that supports HDR and one doesn't, both are 1080P. There is a noticeable video quality improvement on both TV's. It would be nice if you could turn the HDR off for certain channels.
  • The Hopper 3 is slower now when navigating the menus, guide, etc. compared to w/o the Hopper Plus
  • Some apps game work great: HBO, Netflix, Disney+, Prime. Prime and Netflix work better than w/o the Plus.
  • Some apps are hit or miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't: Hulu and Peacock
  • When you turn the TV's on they sometimes act strange and you have to hit addl. buttons to get a picture or menu.
Overall I think the upgrade is worth it, if not just for the improved video quality. I hope over time Dish fixes some of the bugs because this new equipment shows a lot of potential.
Do you have picture on picture on the Joey 4?

Was there a charge for the "upgrade"? My two years is up in a few months.

I had to make some adjustments to the picture on one of my TV's. The TV without HDR looks great and no adjustments were neccessary. Since attaching the Hopper+ the picture on this TV has a noticeably higher contrast and sharpness compared to before. The HDR TV with the new Joey 4.0 needed reductions in the sharpnesss, contrast, and black levels. After attaching the Hopper+ and Joey 4.0 this TV's contrast was through the roof and the picture was harsh on some channels with no details in the blacks. After adjustments it looks great.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Most of the apps that I had problems with initially have sorted themselves out and work fine now with the exception of Hulu. According to forum posts this is a problem with the Andorid TV Hulu app not Dish hardware or software. The Hulu app works but tends to act strange and is not ideal.

Last edited: