Just Got HR20 for $99

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Been bouncing it back and forth whether to trade in the HR10 now or wait, since I use my plasma for OTA I decided to call retention to see if they would offer anything other than $299. First call yielded an HR20 installed tomorrow(pretty quick) for the grand total of $126.

People can say what they want about D*, but I feel their cust service is great. Only a month ago I called retention and got the HR10 for free along with HD free for 4 mo's and Showtime free for 6 mo's. I did this because I was skeptical about the HR20 being available soon.

Keep up the good work D*.

He was alos very open about the OTA tuners, said they would not be functional till late in the year.

On another note, what does D* do with boxes like the HR10 when they become obsolete, seems like there is a lot of wasted equipment when you change services.

Does the OTA not work at all at this time, or just the dual function? BTW after $150 MIR,I recieved for signing up with D*, plus the $100 instant rebate, I will have only paid $72 for my HR20 by the time it's all said and done!:up I don't why everyone's always talking crap. I am excited about my new install and the price I got it at!

The OTA does not work at all, it is disabled.

My HR10 ota is tuner is sketchy due to my lower signal strength and has breakups alot so I watch ota hd programs when Im home on my tv and record it in sd on the hr10 when I'm gone, so I started figuring I would not be missing much.

Hopefully the HR20 tuners will be better and hold the signal like my tv does when they are activated.

This is like getting a brand new Dell computer for $99 instead of paying 700-800 dollars. Can you imagine that with any other company? DTV has the gest customer service so far that I have seen in any industry. Of course giving away free programming doesnt cost them a dime but giving away new hi tech equipment that just hit the market and isnt available to everybody is very generous. And I've seen a lot of rich people who just got an expensive TV set and those people would call and bitch and get their way with Directv that is so eager to please that it gives away free equipment after spending hours on the phone with those whiners.
Sometimes customers complaints are justified but oftentimes I see a lot of "smart" folks who just blackmail retention department knowing DTV's 100% customer satisfaction policy. I installed for a guy who paid less than 50 bucks per months for 4 receivers, no mirror fee for life, free HD package, free movie channels and now he made them give him away (!) actually to own a leased equipment brand new HD receiver free of charge simply because he knows retention dept number and knows how to get his way. So keep up the good work in retaining customers good and bad. Even at a loss!

Years here, and I mean years.....happy, yes, if they ever can fix up the HD PQ issues, which are not really that big of a deal to me because of the OTA, and somehow get Comcrap to let them have the Philly Sports station I would be estatic!!!!! Sorry naysayers, but I like my D*.

FlyingJ said:
Years here, and I mean years.....happy, yes, if they ever can fix up the HD PQ issues, which are not really that big of a deal to me because of the OTA, and somehow get Comcrap to let them have the Philly Sports station I would be estatic!!!!! Sorry naysayers, but I like my D*.
Q. How do you plan to get Philly Sports station from Columbus Ohio ?
I can't get FSN Detroit HD and I am only 50 miles from them...

Jimbo

FlyingJ said:

Going on 9 years and have never had a problem with an order, equipment or an install, including my last which was a free HR20-700. I have always been treated well by CSR's and retention. There's a 1st time for everything, but a bad experience has not happened in over 8 years. Then again it will be a while before I have another install or upgrade. Am satisfied with what I get for my money and the future looks good:) .

Last edited:
Well, guy came out and the tuner 1 was bad. He's heading back to the warehouse to get another, kinda feel bad for the guy since its the worst time for traffic now.

I just called and got it for shipping and handling! I didn't have to haggle at all. I've had D* on and off for 10 years now, this account for about 2. I've never had any real problems.

Yeah, I got my HR20 for S/H too a month back, now I am just pissed off that FOX and ABC are not HD in the Seattle area on D*

I just called today and got my HR20 for 99 plus tax (105.93) and also received a 99.00 credit on my bill. Basically paid the tax of 6.93!

Will be brought out in about 1 week. I also get to keep all other equipment!

John

johnjroy said:
I just called today and got my HR20 for 99 plus tax (105.93) and also received a 99.00 credit on my bill. Basically paid the tax of 6.93!

Will be brought out in about 1 week. I also get to keep all other equipment!

John

How can you get one of these without having an installer come out. My dish is located in Canada but I use a US address for the "residence". Can I get them to ship to the residential address?

I got the 'HR20 for $99' deal too.

Given the other discounts that they gave me as well, I will end up paying nothing for this receiver (actually less than nothing)!

My main gripes about D* are:

1 - Technical assistance (at least at Level 1) that doesn't know what is going on (and sometimes pretending that they do, which really annoys me).

2 - Not announcing new channels or other system changes in advance of when they happen.

3 - HD-Lite/a lack of HD programming.

But other than that, I have to say that the service is pretty good, and any time I have had cause for complaint or have had to speak to Customer Retention, I have always come out ahead on the deal!

Yes I do moan about things on these forums, but nothing is so drastically bad that would make me want to change to another satellite/cable provider.

Maybe I have got it wrong and I should be more dissatisfied, but I'm not.

Thanks.

Jammy -

I am in DFW as well, what is the wait for your install of the new HR20?

Installation of HR20?

After I called D* Installation and told them I wanted a new HR20, it took about 3 weeks for the actual install. It was installed on October 2nd.

I got them to install it in the Master Bedroom, which we only use to watch TV before going to sleep. Then I can get an idea of how it operates and what problems (if any) there are before daring to get one for the Family Room.

So far, I still have not got the hang of recording, To Do Lists etc. It seems so awkward compared to the HR10 with TiVo, but we shall see.

Hope this info helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)