Just got it installed! Some questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nitemare

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
oh
Just got DirecTV installed yesterday. Tech installed SLIM dish on side of house. He said he did SWM install (1 HDDVR and 2 Standard). The free HDDVR I got was HR22 model. Tech used existing RG6 cable so no wiring needed.

Now some questions/issues:

1) HR22 - It is slower to respond than the standard receivers. I hit guide, takes few seconds, then pops up. Whats really bothersome is Ill hit channel 295 (kids) and it will take me to the Game channel. Sometimes it just stays at this Game station. It seems to get confused and slow. I already adjusted settings in the menu (turned off scrolling/banner delay set to 2 sec, etc), but still same.
Any solutions? Or is this normal?

2) Satellite signal is 95% - Im guessing thats good.

3) Favorite channels - How do I make a channel a favorite while I am currently on that channel? The manual says I have to go to menu>favorites> and add favorites there. Well, most of the time I dont know what channel I like until im watching it. Time warner just let you hit a favorite button while on any channel and it stored it.

4) My account online says I owe $95! That cant be as I signed up during promo and got the Choice Plus package at $34.99. My total bill was $49.99 with all the boxes

5) I declined the insurance @ $5.99. Tech said I would have to pay for remotes and everything else if it got damaged. I did not think it was worth it.

Overall I love it. So many more channels! Thanks in advanced.

Just got DirecTV installed yesterday. Tech installed SLIM dish on side of house. He said he did SWM install (1 HDDVR and 2 Standard). The free HDDVR I got was HR22 model. Tech used existing RG6 cable so no wiring needed.

Now some questions/issues:

1) HR22 - It is slower to respond than the standard receivers. I hit guide, takes few seconds, then pops up. Whats really bothersome is Ill hit channel 295 (kids) and it will take me to the Game channel. Sometimes it just stays at this Game station. It seems to get confused and slow. I already adjusted settings in the menu (turned off scrolling/banner delay set to 2 sec, etc), but still same.

2) Satellite signal is 95% - Im guessing thats good.

3) Favorite channels - How do I make a channel a favorite while I am currently on that channel? The manual says I have to go to menu>favorites> and add favorites there. Well, most of the time I dont know what channel I like until im watching it. Time warner just let you hit a favorite button while on any channel and it stored it.

4) My account online says I owe $95! That cant be as I signed up during promo and got the Choice Plus package at $34.99. My total bill was $49.99 with all the boxes

5) I declined the insurance @ $5.99. Tech said I would have to pay for remotes and everything else if it got damaged. I did not think it was worth it.

Overall I love it. So many more channels! Thanks in advanced.

1) The Dvrs are a little slower because of all the functions on it. This is especially the case when first installed. When the receiver is first installed it's steadily downloading information in the background. After about 24 hours the receiver has caught up with info and slowly updates with new info as it dumps the old. It should respond better after this intial downloading phase.

2)Sounds good! You should only lose service w/ an aproaching storm, and heavy downpours. This signal loss(also called rain fade) should only last a few minutes. And should only happen every now and then. If it happens frequently(everytime it rains) then you would need to have dish realigned.

3)I recommend using a paper channel list to help set this up. You may also want to flip through them all when making a list to get it how you want it. I agree with you about it being tricky to set up. But, it does save alot of time and is worth it the long run.

4)Did you sign up online before you were activated? If not your rebate may not show up until after you sumbit forms(2nd,3rd bill). At the D*com site after signing in look for the rebate tab near the bottom of the screen..here you can check your rebate status.

5) Insurance is a personal preference. It's my luck if I take it I never need it. If I don't something goes wrong as soon as warranty runs out. You have a 90 day warranty on your installation. Think about what's right for you. You got 3 months to add it without losing coverage

Tip- when skipping commercials on your DVR>use 30 sec adv. button(about 6 times)>>not far enough? hit again>>>too far? hit replay button till program is back. This is a much better way then using fastfwd or rewindd buttons which can easily zoom way to far ahead into show.

Glad to hear your happy with it!

Last edited:
1 - After googling HR22 slow - many complaints going back to 2008 about this. Apparantely this has been an issue forever. Looks like Ill have to just deal with it. Seems by disabling scrolling and hitting reset button fixes it sometimes

4 - I signed up everything online. The only rebate was for $199 for the HR22 - but it was instant. There were no rebates where I had to wait for. It looks like Im going to have to call them to see why my bill is $90+. I also had to enroll in 'paperless' in order to just view my bill which is ridiculous. So I have to wait until they allow me to 'view' my bill online to see what I am getting charged for

Thanks for the skip commercial tips.

You should be able to view "recent activity" with your online account to see what the charges are before the bill is actually available.

1 - After googling HR22 slow - many complaints going back to 2008 about this. Apparantely this has been an issue forever. Looks like Ill have to just deal with it. Seems by disabling scrolling and hitting reset button fixes it sometimes

4 - I signed up everything online. The only rebate was for $199 for the HR22 - but it was instant. There were no rebates where I had to wait for. It looks like Im going to have to call them to see why my bill is $90+. I also had to enroll in 'paperless' in order to just view my bill which is ridiculous. So I have to wait until they allow me to 'view' my bill online to see what I am getting charged for

Thanks for the skip commercial tips.

Hang in there w/ the DVR . It's pro's totally outweigh the cons IMO.

The rebate I was refering to is the discounted rate for the first year. If you register online before activation the rebate is on your first bill. If you wait till after you, will have to submit form and pay a regular bill or two before your disconunt(or rebate) kicks in.

I signed up online to begin with. It said I do not need to 'submit any forms' or anything. It was the 50% off promo. Then about a week later they installed it.

When you say 'register online', what exactly do you mean? I already had an account setup with my username and password before they installed it.

There is no 'recent activity' link. There is also no 'rebate' tab either. Below is all I got:

My Account
look for rebate tab at very BOTTOM of screen>>tabs go across not down>>look again you should see it.

Found it. Unreal. Its all the way on bottom totally away from the account settings. Now It says I have to wait 6-8 weeks. Unreal. Ill tell ya,. Same old. Same old. All these TV companies always are the same. Well, looks like Ill have to eat it and deal with the cons. Time Warner still has never credited my account when I signed up with them in the Promo. Atleast DirecTV has it on their website. Lets see if they actually credit me. Hold my breath.

Pending $21 Monthly Bill Credit for 12 Months
(allow 6 to 8 weeks)​
Pending
(allow 6 to 8 weeks)$5 Monthly Bill Credit for 12 Months

Thanks for your help!

There is no 'recent activity' link. There is also no 'rebate' tab either. Below is all I got:

My Account
SHould be under account details, but seems like you found the info that you needed anyway.

1) HR22 - It is slower to respond than the standard receivers. I hit guide, takes few seconds, then pops up. Whats really bothersome is Ill hit channel 295 (kids) and it will take me to the Game channel. Sometimes it just stays at this Game station. It seems to get . I already adjusted settings in the menu (turned off scrolling/banner delay set to 2 sec, etc), but still same.

Confused and slow is normal for an HR22.

Found it. Unreal. Its all the way on bottom totally away from the account settings. Now It says I have to wait 6-8 weeks. Unreal. Ill tell ya,. Same old. Same old. All these TV companies always are the same. Well, looks like Ill have to eat it and deal with the cons. Time Warner still has never credited my account when I signed up with them in the Promo. Atleast DirecTV has it on their website. Lets see if they actually credit me. Hold my breath.

Pending $21 Monthly Bill Credit for 12 Months

(allow 6 to 8 weeks)​

Pending
(allow 6 to 8 weeks)$5 Monthly Bill Credit for 12 Months

Thanks for your help!

I have said before that choosing a subscription TV service is like voting....Chossing the lesser of the evils.

If you follow the instuctions it should be on your bill by the 3rd cycle. Also pay attetion that those free movie channels are being billed then credited back..after 3 months the credit drops off and you will need to remove them or be charged. I hate all that fine print!!...As a sales rep/installer for local retailer I avoid alot of this confusion by making sure that rebates are applied before activation.
In the end it is the same difference. And on the bright side you get to see what your bill runs after the year of discounts are over.

How do I cancel the FREE Showtime and STARS now? Since I now have to pay for them for the next 6-8 weeks, I rather cancel it now. Unreal. Is that even possible? I even tried to refuse the free showtime online - but it would not even let me uncheck the box.

How do I cancel the FREE Showtime and STARS now? Since I now have to pay for them for the next 6-8 weeks, I rather cancel it now. Unreal. Is that even possible? I even tried to refuse the free showtime online - but it would not even let me uncheck the box.

I looked at my account online, and this is the message I get when trying to remove the free promotion:

To remove this premium channel, please call
1-800-531-5000 and ask to remove this channel
when prompted.

Thanks for directions on how to cancel Promo. I noticed they did credit me $24 for Showtime/Stars. So I set a reminder to in MAY to remind me to call in and cancel it then..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)