Just got my HR20...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

volntitan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
and I am a newbie here. So couple of quick questions...

1) The USB port on the front. Any good uses? Will it allow you to transfer saved programs?

2) How hard is it and is it worth it to add an external HD. Again, if you save shows to the external drive, can you take them off that drive to make discs or anything?

3) Any hints or tricks you might want to pass along?

4) Oh yeah! The Ethernet port. What do you hook that up for? Can you use an wireless reciever with that port?

Thanks!

i just got mine thursday. the installer told me the ethernet port was not functional at this time.

Typical. The ethernet port is enabled now and if you have a ViiV Intel/Windows system you can retrieve JPEG's and MP3's through the box. If you don't have ViiV there are third party software programs out there, like Twonkyvision, that let other systems get this functionality. Check over at www.dbstalk.com for more info on how to set this all up.

There's also a rumor that D* is now pulling some stats from network attached HR20's, some say they've received calls from D* about problems with their HR20 that they're seeing. Don't know how true that is or not.

I'm using the USB connection to power a laptop cooling fan which I placed (upside down) on top of the HR20. It dropped the temp about 18°! :)

thanks rad. the question came up when i asked if i could hook the port on the dvr to an ethernet port on the back of my vonage modem/router.....thinking, it would be useful for something.

I can't recc. Twonky stuff enough - it also works as a media server to XBox360's. I use it on my NAS, so no PC needed! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts