just got of the phone with a csr

jason1234

Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
I just talked to a csr(I know worth its weight in sh*#), but I am moving on the first of the month and wanted to know if voom wanted the box . Acording to him they will and I should make arrangements with him to pick it up at my new address.

Well lil Jimmy better make sure to bring his ladder and tools because he gonna repair my roof and take his dish with him.

patrickpiteo said:
Little Jimmy Dolan is going to go out and personally and pick up every single box for his Dad..
I MOST SINCERELY HOPE SO!!!! CAN'T WAIT 'TIL HE GETS TO MY PLACE!!!! And yes, I know I'm screaming!!!
costumed-smiley-056.gif
costumed-smiley-056.gif
costumed-smiley-056.gif
SaiyanSmilie_anim.gif
devil-smiley-033.gif
devil-smiley-029.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filing alleges Dolan's ally is fake

BY HARRY BERKOWITZ
STAFF WRITER

April 14, 2005

Even though the story of Voom seemed all but ended, a 43-page filing made public yesterday provides more evidence of how bizarre the battle over the satellite TV service has been between Cablevision and its chairman, Charles Dolan.

The joint filing with the Federal Communications Commission by Cablevision and satellite TV rival EchoStar Communications claims a consumer group that partnered with Dolan in trying to block the sale of Voom's sole satellite does not really exist. Also, a check of records indicates the president of the purported group -- the Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS (direct-broadcast satellite) Competition -- was tied to the former consulting firm of Voom's chief operating officer, Mickey Alpert.

Dolan and the association had told the FCC in a 53-page joint filing March 28 that Cablevision's deal to sell the satellite to EchoStar for $200 million would reduce competition and hurt consumers. Instead, they argued, Dolan should be able to buy the satellite to keep Voom alive.

Last week, the 15-member Cablevision board reconfirmed its decision to shut Voom rather than hand it over to Dolan, and this time the vote was unanimous, and included Dolan.

But that still left the requirement for Cablevision, which on March 29 disavowed Dolan's FCC filing, to elaborate on its argument that the filing should be ignored. Otherwise, Cablevision could face a lawsuit from EchoStar, which has called Dolan's filing perplexing.

Not only is Dolan's contention moot because of the Voom shutdown plan, Cablevision and EchoStar claim in their new filing, but "all available evidence strongly suggests that the association is a mere fiction, created by a single individual ... Jerome Sandler, for the sole purpose of filing the petition."

Sandler, 70, reached at his home in Rockville, Md., said, "What they say is not true," but he declined to comment on how many members the association had, or when it was formed and why.

A record in the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation identifies Sandler as having been the registered agent in the incorporation of Alpert & Associates. Sandler, a Voom subscriber since last May, declined to comment on that also, referring that matter to Alpert, who did not return a call.

The new filing by Cablevision and EchoStar also expands on the argument that EchoStar -- whose service Cablevision, the nation's sixth biggest cable operator, has mocked in advertisements -- should be strengthened to benefit consumers, especially in rural areas, which have been slower to gain access to high-definition television channels.

The unusual battle pitted Dolan against his chief executive son, James, a longtime opponent of Voom who signed the contract to sell the satellite.

According to the new filing, during the past six years Cablevision invested $1 billion in Jericho-based Voom, which stressed high-definition channels. But the service attracted only 40,000 customers, mainly in urban areas, and had less than $15 million in total revenue.

In contrast, EchoStar was gaining 40,000 customers every 10 days while Voom suffered "astoundingly high" customer dropout rates, suggesting a "low likelihood of viability," the filing states.

Dolan, who last month ousted three directors who had condoned the deal to sell the satellite, plans on Monday to drop three more, cutting the size of the board to 12, including nine who do not require approval by non-Dolan shareholders.

Cablevision spokesman Charles Schueler did not return a call seeking comment from the company or Dolan.
Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc

Dog6869...this is at least the third time you've posted yesterday's news in various threads here today...did you have anything else to say????? :confused: :confused: If not, why are you bothering? :rolleyes: Vicki

Vicki said:
Dog6869...this is at least the third time you've posted yesterday's news in various threads here today...did you have anything else to say????? :confused: :confused: If not, why are you bothering? :rolleyes: Vicki

I was thinking the same thing.

t

Dog6869 said:
Filing alleges Dolan's ally is fake
Just how many threads are you going to post this same story in?
You posted it twice this morning here and here .
The same article was also posted early this morning by danielle_s here ...
And of course there is the original article (with the bad headline) that was posted here .

Any need to post this again?
(Thanks for the others that chimed in while I was searching for the links.)

JL

patrickpiteo said:
Little Jimmy Dolan is going to go out and personally and pick up every single box for his Dad..

If Jimmy shows up in my house I'm giving him a heavy ignious rock of some kind.... who am I kidding, I'm going to HIT him with it! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really can not fathom why they would want to go to the expense of gathering up the leased boxes. They will essentially be boat anchors as of May 01.

It would make even less sense for them to incur the cost of paying service techs to come out and pick up the boxes. I will not just leave them on the porch, if the installer comes to pick them up they will have to sign for them just as I did. I can tell you that I will NOT make arrangements to be home during a 4 hour window so that maybe they will show up to get the equipment. A scheduled pick up will have to happen on MY schedule either AFTER I am home from work or on a weekend. If Comcast can install on a Sunday then Voom can pick up their equipment on a Saturday.

If they do want them back I imagine they will send some postage paid shipping boxes to your home. But why would they want them? So they can incur the shipping and then the disposal costs. Maybe Lil Jimmy plans to hand them out as Holiday gifts to the remaining CVC employees.

I will not accept receiving a postage-paid. If they think I'm going to stand in line for 30 minutes at my local Post Office, they're in for an unpleasant surprise. No, they need someone to come and pick it up and take the dish down, repairing any unsightly holes they leave. I paid good money for that service and will not be treated like a schmuck at the end.

Stuart-B said:
I will not accept receiving a postage-paid.

If they send me a postage paid cardboard box I'll never receive it because:

1. It won't fit in the mailbox.
2. If it doesn't fit in the box the carrier is too lazy to walk 20ft and leave a package on the portch (although he does it for eveyone else). Instead the carrier will leave a little slip of paper telling me to goto the post office and pick it up.
3. I don't drive and I'm not going to take a taxi to goto the post office just to pick up a carboard box.

Hope I don't accidentally put the broken widget that needs to go to acme service, in the Voom container and the Voom STB in the Acme box.

Iaccidently did that once before when a company sent me copier toner, and tried to bill me way too much, they asked me to return the toner.

But somehow the broken keyboard that was going back to Compaq for repair, ended up going to the toner company. then it was the whole hassle of them returning the keyboard, and trying to get the toner back from Compaq.

Now I don;t even remember if I ever got the toner returned to to the toner company, But I think I remember I did get the keyboard back.

Not long after that, the copier toner scam became far less common at my office.

Amphicar770 said:
I really can not fathom why they would want to go to the expense of gathering up the leased boxes. They will essentially be boat anchors as of May 01.
Actually Cablevision uses the exact same boxes for their digital cable. I wouls assume they use different software>

I talked with All Installs, the company that fixed my voom install, and they had a conference call yesterday with voom and they weren't being specific with the equipment. So it appears that the only equipment voom wanted/wants back was the equipment retailers & installers had.

Other than that they're not being specific on whether they want the eq back let alone how they want it back.

I could see wanting the equipment IF we can use the receiver for OTA.....but if it cant be used for OTA transmitions what are you going to do with the thing? I for one will want to get it out of my house. As for the dish....they arent going to want those back.

vinnyv07 said:
but if it cant be used for OTA transmitions what are you going to do with the thing?

Well, with VOOM it has become a Cult Religion so it will sit there in a VOOM shrine.

Also the electronics can be harvested. I have used electronics from a Primestar receiver, and several E* receivers as spare parts for some of my broadcast equipment at my stations. You never know when you might need this capacitor or this resistor or that one.

Amphicar770 said:

It would make even less sense for them to incur the cost of paying service techs to come out and pick up the boxes. I will not just leave them on the porch, if the installer comes to pick them up they will have to sign for them just as I did. I can tell you that I will NOT make arrangements to be home during a 4 hour window so that maybe they will show up to get the equipment. A scheduled pick up will have to happen on MY schedule either AFTER I am home from work or on a weekend. If Comcast can install on a Sunday then Voom can pick up their equipment on a Saturday.

If they do want them back I imagine they will send some postage paid shipping boxes to your home. But why would they want them? So they can incur the shipping and then the disposal costs. Maybe Lil Jimmy plans to hand them out as Holiday gifts to the remaining CVC employees.
Your da Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyv07
but if it cant be used for OTA transmitions what are you going to do with the thing?

I for one have two Voom STB's I purchased but are worthless never activated units that I will slip into the Mid Atlantic racks in place of the leased units I send back. I hate looking at an empty space in the rack because I feel compelled to go out and buy another toy to fill the void! Cheaper in the end to stare at the little Red light on the Voom STB's when it goes dark on the 1ST of May.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)