Just got off chat with tech support on $5 fee...

doogie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I need help from someone out there who is smarter than I... which shouldn't be too hard.

Here is my situation:

Receiver #1: VIP722 downstairs next to my computer and TV.
Receiver #2: 625 upstairs in a bedroom.

Problem:

Receiver #1: VIP722 easily connected to broadband - its right next to my router.

Receiver #2: 625 is nowhere near a phone line and in a remote part of the house, so I can't get it to call in to Dish. I've tried 2 different wireless phone jack things and neither one worked well enough to communicate when it dials up... it always fails. I've tried several different locations for the sender and reciever unit... just doesn't work. So, I just accept the $5 charge per month on that reciever.

here is where I need your help:

I read in the new pricing changes that the PRIMARY receiver no longer needs to be hooked up to call in (broadband or phoneline) -- only additional receivers need to be... so, I got online with tech support and asked them if they would swap my primary and secondary reciever in their system so that I won't be charged the $5 fee for no phone line.... the rep told me I was totally mistaken and that all recievers wil still have to be connected to call in or I will be charged the $5 fee...

Am I misreading this or something? I need your input!

From what I understand (which is not much), if you only have one dual tuner receiver (Feb 1st), you won't be charged, but if you have more than one, all of them must be connected. Regardless, your CSR hasn't been informed yet.

It is not your ideal way to go, but if you upgrade your 625 to a 722, a second phone line is not needed. The DishCOMM is a wireless adapter of sorts. It is intigrated into all of the VIP HD receivers. You only need one VIP receiver hooked up to a phone line or ethernet cable.

From what I understand (which is not much), if you only have one dual tuner receiver (Feb 1st), you won't be charged, but if you have more than one, all of them must be connected. Regardless, your CSR hasn't been informed yet.

This is not correct. From what Scott posted:

"Note that starting on February 1st on your first dual tuner receiver there is no additional $5 a month fee if the box is not hooked up to a phone line or broadband, however the fee remains on all other dual tuners in the house if they are not hooked to a phoneline or broadband."

If you have more than one DVR, the fee will be waived for the first receiver and yes it does start on Feb. 1st not before.

Just to add to what RandallA posted:
I have not seen anything that says the 'first' receiver means your 'primary' receiver. I doubt Dish wants their call centers flooded with calls from people wanting to change the order of their receivers.

I am currently running a vip722 in the living room/master bedroom and a VIP22 family room and 2nd bedroom. I have no home phone and don't plan on it anytime soon. The vip722 is hooked up by ethernet to the internet, is the vip222 able to do this yet? Last I was told it wasn't enabled to use the ethernet port.

It might not mean anything, but I disconnected our phone a while back, and every day the 622 had the "hook up your phone" message when I turned on the TV for the first time every day. Since the beginning of the year, that message has gone away. We haven't been charged for either tuner since anyway, but just throwing that out there.

I am currently running a vip722 in the living room/master bedroom and a VIP22 family room and 2nd bedroom. I have no home phone and don't plan on it anytime soon. The vip722 is hooked up by ethernet to the internet, is the vip222 able to do this yet? Last I was told it wasn't enabled to use the ethernet port.

The ethernet port is enabled on the 222. :up

This is not correct. From what Scott posted:

"Note that starting on February 1st on your first dual tuner receiver there is no additional $5 a month fee if the box is not hooked up to a phone line or broadband, however the fee remains on all other dual tuners in the house if they are not hooked to a phoneline or broadband."

I understand what Scott said, but if E* does it that way, it leaves a lot of room for cheaters to propagate. Knowing E* though, they probably will shoot themselves in the foot. :D

OK... so - based on this statement:

If you have more than one DVR, the fee will be waived for the first receiver and yes it does start on Feb. 1st not before."

On Feb 1st I will have two dual tuner receivers... primary NOT hooked up to dial in or broadband - but the secondardy WILL be hooked up to broadband... I should have no $5 fee??

OK... so - based on this statement:

If you have more than one DVR, the fee will be waived for the first receiver and yes it does start on Feb. 1st not before."

On Feb 1st I will have two dual tuner receivers... primary NOT hooked up to dial in or broadband - but the secondardy WILL be hooked up to broadband... I should have no $5 fee??

Based on what they said in the chat, you should have NO $5.00 fee. We'll find out if on Feb. 1st for sure. :)

That's it!!

Don't worry. All the CSRs will be informed about 10 seconds before they start their shifts on the day this goes into effect.:D

Hi all,
I currently have a 622 or 625 dual turner HD dvr and I am charged a Leased reciever fee of $7? Since I only have 1, does that mean I will not be charged this fee on Feb 1st? or is this a totally different fee? Thanks for your time.

Hi all,
I currently have a 622 or 625 dual turner HD dvr and I am charged a Leased reciever fee of $7? Since I only have 1, does that mean I will not be charged this fee on Feb 1st? or is this a totally different fee?
Different fee.

I think the new policy makes sense. I was so angry when I came to know that I have been paying this fees for last 11 months on my single 722 receiver. Anyway, I hooked up a powerline ethernet adapter to get rid of the fee. Alas!, they finally decided to scrap this 'Yes_we_can_charge_whatever_fee_we_like' crap. Thank god!!

Enable DishComm. DishCOmm will "find" the other receiver and it's all set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts