Just got rid of malware on the computer again.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Just got rid of malware on the computer again.

The message said my computer had a virus and then this other message that says something about a "Antivirus Security Suite" and 'scan your computer now' shows up at the same time...wow what a coincidence....

(By the way I use Firefox and use AVG free)

Malware is technically not a virus...it is a serious of rouge programs that try to scam you into buying their own antivirus...it ends up by blocking your internet access and interferes with normal computer functions if you don't buy their product. Their antivirus causes the problems so that you buy the 'cure' from them.

If this happens to you...look for "rkill" from a legitimate site like bleepingcomputer.com ...download it and run it.... (It stops the offending malware from running but doesn't eliminate it) .

Then download MALWAREBYTES Anti-Malware and update it and let it do a quick scan, it will find the malware. Then follow the prompts to delete the malware from your computer and it will have to restart the computer.

After restart...(no matter what browser you use) check internet options under Internet Explorer ...under LAN...see if proxy is checked...uncheck it and you should be good to go... This extra step is sometimes needed because the programs usually engage a proxy to prevent Internet Explorer and sometimes other browsers from working properly.

I have rid of my computers of this crap more than once...

Make sure you have the latest version of adobe flash loaded on your pc and this should help avoid this issue.

Yesterday at work 3 machines got nailed by this all of them by viewing the yahoo.com homepage.

Make sure you have the latest version of adobe flash loaded on your pc and this should help avoid this issue.

Yesterday at work 3 machines got nailed by this all of them by viewing the yahoo.com homepage.

Thanks Scott.

Edit

I had 10,0,XXXXXX
I now have 10,1,53,64 installed

At first it would not download, then saw I had to change exceptions in Firefox...I also had to uninstall adobe and then was able to install the new edition...I guess I need to do this on my other computers as well...I'm running Windows XP SP3

Thanks again....

Last edited:
I recommend the add on "adblock plus". It will speed up your surfing and weed out some of the links which will result in infection. I prefer avast over avg. Malwarebytes is an excellent program.

Try the just updated (beta) MSE all-in-one
Beta for Next Version of Microsoft Security Essentials Now Available

I haven't used MWB since first MSE install, i.e. middle last year.
And it has fewer false positives...

This beta installs on servers, too.

DIogen.

None of the above will stop the ad based fake antivirus malware. Turn off pop-ups for all sites, limit javascript and make sure your profile does not have admin rights and this will almost eliminate any issues with these banner ad based infections.

I hate this malware crap. A bunch of people at work got infected with it (maybe now they'll finally upgrade to Windows 7 as only XP users got hit) and my best friend's Vista computer got nailed. Luckily, it was isolated to just one profile, so right now his mom's profile is under "quarantine."

i have found a good addblocker helps, but isnt perfect
block all adds, not just pop up
i am still looking for one for 1e8 though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts