Just got VOOM, WOW!... couple of issues...

tbhausen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2004
I am very happy so far. Had initial DVI output problem on all non-HD, but now with new software all is well.

I see pixelaton when changing some channels--not a big deal.

SD looks really good compared to DirecTV.

Oddly enough, component looks a tad sharper than DVI to me... is this an unusual observation?

Also, SD pictures do not fill my screen vertically, even with overscan "off" or set to "zoom" (InFocus 7200 DLP fpj). I tried the horiz and vert position (-10/+10) in the Video menu, but I see no effects. My installer forgot to leave me the box's manual. Any ideas on this?

TIA,
Todd

tbhausen said:
Oddly enough, component looks a tad sharper than DVI to me... is this an unusual observation?
It isn't an unusual initial observation but with some tweaking you should be able to equal or slightly surpass the image quality on the component inputs with DVI. My DLP RP shipped with default settings that needed a bit of work to get the PQ to be optimized.

Yeah no way DVI is going to look "less sharp" IMO, it could be that the colors are TOO bright from DVI giving you that bloom effect. Oh yeah, welcome to the foruM!

I agree with you about component looking better. There is a DVI problem with VOOm and what you saw I have also experienced with the SD channels. I hope to go back to DVI but can't stand the poor fitting SD's. Also the component seems to be sharper to me as well. This shouldn't be but it does appear to my eyes that way as well. Welcome to the forum and be prepared for hot and heavy discussions. It is great.

Theoretically digitial DVI should give you better PQ than analog component. However, there are many factors that influence PQ on any given setup and the opposite may actually be experienced. It is easy to test both and choose the one that pleases your eyes more. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)