Do light bars illuminate each time you turn you STB on?

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I'm having problems getting my Voom receiver to synch over DVI with my TV.

It didn't use to do this. Now, more times than not, I have to reboot the Voom receiver for it to synch with the TV.

What I'd like to know is does the light bars light up each time you turn the Voom receiver on?

Also, does the little satellite dish thingy on the far left of the Voom receiver show red or green when you're on a OTA channel?

I believe that anytime you power on the STB the orangish lights do flicker as part of the boot up process.

What I find weird is that when I power on my Panasonic TV with my Panasonic remote, the very top orange light on the STB flickers everytime I power my tv off/on. Wierd but no big issue really.

Whiteice

Jim, do you power on the stb BEFORE your TV? Some devices need the handshake ready when they look at the port.

DarrellP

I've tried it both ways thinking the same thing. Having the TV on before turning on the Voom receiver doesn't help.

I'm wondering if the light bars lighting up on turnon indicates the Voom receiver is initiating a handshake and the lack of the light bars lighting up is a sign that something is wrong with either Voom receiver or firmware.

When I reboot the receiver and it goes through some process that includes the light bars lighting up and it makes handshake with the TV, I've noticed that when I turn the TV off, the STB(Voom receiver) light bars will again light up(which might be its attempt to handshake when the signal from the TV is lost) Don't know if its the TV or the STB. I'm trying to narrow it down.

DVI is still having growing pains and unfortunately some boxes don't talk well with others. I have an issue once in awhile where my pj on powerup won't see my Component input but it will see the DVI so I have to press the reset button to make it see the input.

My Voom box is usually on 24/7 due to the need for recording. Until they fix the dumb Planner to default to power on I won't shut it off. :(

JimP,

I believe it's a known bug that sometimes when you tune to an OTA channel the dish icon is red (even though you can receive the signal). It happens to me all the time and my OTA signal quality is in the 90's. Most of the time it's green like it's supposed to be but sometimes it's red. Doesn't seem to affect anything, just weird behaviour.

JimP said:
What I'd like to know is does the light bars light up each time you turn the Voom receiver on?
Jim, I just tried switching the STB and the TV set off and on a few times. No, I don't get any bars light up. I do not loose the DVI sync, no matter in which sequence I do this. I am in 1080i-fixed mode and I also have component cables connected if it matters. Strange. The same TV set as you have, but a different behavior...

Also, does the little satellite dish thingy on the far left of the Voom receiver show red or green when you're on a OTA channel?
Not sure if this a bug or behavior by design, but here is how it works: when I turn the STB on, the icon is red initially. If I am on a satellite channel, it turns green in a couple of seconds. If I turn the STB on when it is on an OTA channel, the icon stays red until I switch to a satellite channel. After that it stays green.

Jim, I did more experiments. Here is an update for you: If I wait long enough (a minute or so) after turning the TV set off, I do get the upper bar light up! It happens when the cooling fan in my GWIII finally shuts off. I guess this is when the DVI finally drops the synchronization. When I turn the TV set on after that, I also get the upper bar for a second. That probably means the restored DVI signal. Now, if I turn off the TV set for less than a minute, then I guess, I do not loose DVI and the upper bar doesn't blink. The described behavior is the same whether the STB is on or off - doesn't seem to matter.

I hope this will help you. Let us know your findings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)