Just heard the newest Window update is cuasing people to BSOD

bigjohnok

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
BFE Flyover State
Just heard this on the news that M$ is telling people to uninstall the latest august update because its causing system crashes and the infamous BSOD.

Seriously Microsoft how many years have you been doing this? You would think they would have this down by now.

For all the press about this, in the many discussion forums for Windows, the number of those actually having an issue seems rather small.

I got the latest update on my Surface Pro, ASUS T100 and HP all-in-one touch desktop and haven't had any problem at all.

Reading between lots of lines, it seems that the ones most affected are those with slightly older hardware.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 update 1. RT included.

According to Microsoft's KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791 the following updates can be causing problems:

KB2982791
KB2970228
KB2975719
KB2975331

Here is the list of potential problems:

Known issue 1
After you install this security update, fonts that are installed in a location other than the default fonts directory (%windir%\fonts\) cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session. Attempts to change, replace, or delete these fonts will be blocked, and a "File in use" message will be presented.

Known issue 2
Microsoft is investigating behavior in which fonts do not render correctly after any of these updates are installed.

Known issue 3
Microsoft is investigating behavior in which systems may crash with a 0x50 Stop error message (bugcheck) after any of these updates are installed.

Status
Microsoft has removed the download links to these updates while these issues are being investigated.

Reactions: beavs2112
Hmm wonder if that is what has been causing SatelliteGuys Radio server issues... I will have to check if those are installed.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ah, THIS is the MicroSoft we all know and (don't) love!

Hopefully this will warn people off their phones and "tablets."

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Didn't even know about it until this thread, so safe to say that I've had zero issues on any of my machines running the update.

I've had updates pending for a few days, but haven't installed them yet because I have a lot of things running. I'll be sure to review the list before I do.

(Seems to me this isn't the first tiime MS has created a fiasco with updates... It wasn't too long ago that the XP updater would go into a busyloop every time I tried to update! That took me quite a while to fix...)

I called MS on Monday and they are sending me 8.1 pro disc.

If you upgraded windows 8 to 8.1, you can not use the original windows 8 media to repair 8.1. Big mistake!

I updated two machines (Vista&W7) this morning and discovered that the Bing auto hiding search bar stopped working on both of them. I then applied Microsoft's so called fix and still had the same issue on both. I then uninstalled all August updates and things are back to normal. I am not an Apple Fan Boy, but I wonder if Microsoft tests and uses their own software updates before they are rolled out to consumers. Must not have with the August updates. Tracey Pretorius needs her butt kicked!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2599...ate-but-still-recommends-a-registry-hack.html

We got bit at work by a Microsoft Windows Update from August that just took effect Sept. 9th. Microsoft pulled an Apple and IE disabled your Java ActiveX component if it isn't up-to-date. This affects connections to computers that are outside your IE Intranet and Trusted Zones. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2991000

All fine and good but the one application we moved into the Cloud is (of course) the one that broke and is (of coursed) used by Everybody That Needs It Fixed NOW. Turns out it caught the vendor flat-footed as well. Corporate IT hasn't issued a statement yet.

The ironic thing is we do Windows Updates testing, but since this particular update did not take effect until Sept. 9, it wasn't caught in August. Likewise, any beta users were not the ones who use the application, so testing this month's patches went smoothly. Likewise, the testing cycle for Java Runtime Environment is even worse as JRE updates come out whenever. Plus, once they are pronounced Good, Corporate needs to create a SCCM package which also needs to be tested. Once that is finished, Oracle has usually come out with Yet Another JRE version to correct the exploit that was found in the current version.

SOx SUx.

Got the update on two desktops, everything seems fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)