Just installed 2TB My Book Mirror (RAID-1) on 722k

Your topic is misleading a little - Could you change it or add "1 TB DVR space".

Second and more important - your disk(s) could be in trouble - see in SMART those realloc/pending sectors counts - you got 1 bad sector already( your picture of SMART window is useless without current values and whole set of SMART ).

Title is fine, the name of the darn thing is " 2TB My Book Mirror".

Did not post the SMART to evaluate, I posted so they could see what I was talking about.

I have them add -1 ;)

Doing extended tests on both drives, will take about 250 minutes on each. Figure its best before putting it into full time service.

Thanks for your generosity. Royal habits are priceless.

[What about full pictures with all SMART values for each disk ? BTW, Alt+PrintSCRN will make a copy of focused window, so you could post it here without distortions after paste it into MSpaint and saving as JPG]

Last edited:
Ok,

Here is a pic of Drive A passing the extended sector test

DriveAExtended.jpg

SMART Info for Drive A

SMARTA1.jpg

SMARTA2.jpg

SMART Info for Drive B

SMARTB1.jpg

SMARTB2.jpg

Going to run extended test on Drive B while sleeping, if everything continues to look ok, then I'll just check info once per month to determine the RAID is still OK.

Those SMART tables are missed real values - Star/Stop Count cannot be 0.
I see right column with current values is missing. If the window is not resizable, please scroll it to right before making snapshot.

I dunno what to tell you, thats all their is for data. They both passed quick tests and a extended test.

The SMART info is reading something, because I was able to get temp changes on the drives.

This is the newest version of WinDLG, 4-2009.

Tried a few programs, none will read the RAID-1 device now that its been formatted by the dish dvr. I can used the WD tools that came with the drive, but they do not give details, just say "good" for Drive A and Drive B. If I connect and scan periodically, they are supposed to tell me three things:

If RAID is working properly
If Drive A has a impending failure
If Drive B has a impending failure

Guess that will have to be good enough. I may have checked the individual drives before the dish DVR formatted them, but its too late for that.

Thanks for the info. Since I'm assembling mine from separately bought parts, I won't have any diagnostics with the unit. I'll just have to rely on Windows for that, if I pull the drive and test it. Maybe Linux tools? Or look into Victoria?

The AMS DS-DS3RPRO RAID enclosure I bought does not have any s/w with it. And I have no idea if it even has lights to indicate functioning or trouble. But since the drives are WD, maybe I can dl DLGDIAG. Although I'd expect that s/w to be specific to the electronics of the WD enclosure.

I should know in a week.

You should experiment with DLDIAG before and after the format.

If it works before the format, go ahead and do the extended sector test (7-8 hours total) on each so you know they are good.

The let the ViP format the RAID drive and then reconnect it to the PC and see if DLDIAG works, hopefully it will.

I used it to sector scan a drive a built (Nexstar case and WD internal drive) and it worked fine.

WD Support > Downloads > My Book > My Book Mirror Edition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)