Just Joined

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottnmelissa2006

Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Hi All we just bought a coolsat 8000 and have never used a sat before is it going to be real diffucult to set up? By the way love the site we just paid to be members. Thanks for the help!

What other equipment did you get with your 8000?
Dish, LNB, motor, etc...
Where (nearest major city) do you live?
What programming are you wanting to get?
I assume you've looked over the satellite lists at:
FTAlist.com
Global-CM.net

Only the reciever so far, Any recommendations as far as dish, as far as programming I have no clue what i am looking for. I have a nice theater setup so I thought this would be a nice addition. I live about 2 miles outside of Charlotte,NC and yes I have looked at the lists just can not truly understand everything till I get it hooked up. Which I think I will have a better chance of my teenager actually listening to me then I have of hooking this thing up problem free lol.

The best bet for now, is read read read these forums, cause there is sooo much information. Plus, there are some gold sponsors on this site that have a LOT of dishes, switches and all LNB's necessary.

31" dish will suffice, but if you want maximum signal, go for a nice 1.2 meter (48 inch) dish. Depending on your expenses at home, either package will work for you.

Make sure you get yourself a good LNB with a LO (local oscillator) freq. of 10.750 Ghz.

Quad polar LNBs are nice too, considering you can get some FTE material in Hi Def on some Echostar birds.

Plus, a motor will let you scan the entire arc of satellites.

Quad polar LNBs are nice too, considering you can get some FTE material in Hi Def on some Echostar birds.

the Coolsat 8000 WILL NOT get the Dish HD stuff even if it is in the clear. Dish uses 8PSK encoding and the Coolsat 8000 will only work with QPSK (like PBS HD)

Welcome to the Forum Scott n Mellissa.

For the price of the dish and shipping I believe a 90cm dish is the best bang for the buck.

You definitely have to do some homework reading , when I setup my dish I used our sponsor Sadoun as reference for the motor setup, I really learned alot reading FAQ's and other info on the Sadoun site.

Also important is how you setup your receiver once you get the rest of your dish , Lnb , and motor (and yes a motor will optimize your viewing since you will not be limited to one satellite), once you have those items forum members will be ready to give you a hand and answer your questions .

Good Luck and enjoy FTA.

What type of dish should I get size and kind?
You might look in the FTA review section for some info on dishes and LNBs.
Generally, the 36's cost a little more than the 30's, but no more to ship.
Once you get to 39", the dish needs a bigger box and the shippers charge a lot more.
UPS/FedEx/et al get cranky when the box gets too big.
So, in general, the 36" dishes are a sweet spot for many buyers.
Note box differences between 80cm (31"), 90cm (36"), and 100cm (39") dishes in this picture.

What's funny about the above statement, is that it'll bring comments out of the woodwork from folks using expensive 30" dishes who think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
And others will comment on the virtues of surplus 40..48" dishes.
I won't argue with any of them - you decide what's good for you.
Just remember that if you get too big, you'll have to spend extra money on a bigger motor.

For LNBs, I guess any of the top-rated units with 0.3 or 0.4db noise figure would be hard to argue with.
I know a lot of folks will suggest some Cadillac linear+circular LNBs from Invacom.
I have other entertainment choices so the piddly extra channels one might find circular are useless to me.
I did get a nice Invacom SNH-031.
There are a couple of other well-reviewed LNBs in the FTA Review section, and any of them would be fine.

People seem to get more rabid over their motors than anything.
Read the forum pages, discussions, and reviews.
All take about the same effort to install and align, since they all do basically the same thing.
I got a STAB HH-90, but if you get a 4-foot dish, an HH-120 might be necessary.
If you live under four feet of snow all year around, pay more attention to comments by the Canadians.
If you live in Florida and put up with the torrential rains, maybe advice from fellow Floridians might be more useful.
I live in a desert, with clear skies and low winds all year, so my requirements are modest. :cool:

Some of our advertizers (see the top of this page) have bundle deals where you get dish+LNB or dish+LNB+motor for a discount.
I saved quite a bit, that way.

So anybody what is this PBS thing? By the way you all are great with the answers I thank you, Wow do we have alot to learn!

What's funny about the above statement, is that it'll bring comments out of the woodwork from folks using expensive 30" dishes who think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
I have had a winegard 76cm for 3 years and it has performed very well for most FTA applications. While not the best dish for g10 or other weaker sats if you are located in a "fringe" area (read the satellite footprints ;) ), it is still a very well built dish that has better performance than larger dish's that are not built to the same high quality standards.
[/quote]
And others will comment on the virtues of surplus 40..48" dishes.
We comment on these dishs because they are excellant performers and can be had for little or no cost.

A Primestar dish is usually a very cheap option - just look for them in someones yard and they will prolly give it to you :)

I second the Primestar, I use two of them , a 1M Primestar motorized with a Sg2100, and a fixed 84e oval parked on SBS6. Read here a lot, also it helps to have a little mechanical inclination to do this, but not absolutely necessary. Ask questions, the knowledge here is immense. IMO FTA is not sit and watch TV kind of hobby, it is a get out and tinker with the equipment kind of hobby, with some good TV as a nice side benefit.

So anybody what is this PBS thing?

Public Broadcasting System (PBS) is on the AMC-3 satellite (87deg West) about 9 feeds plus the "Create" channel. They all are transmitted in Dolby 5.1 known as AC3. You will need a surround sound system to decrypt the sound that is passed through the satellite receiver, other wise you will have video but no sound.
Bob

Well the reciever that I have is the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSI so I am sure the decoding is not a issue, I am starting to feel like the 8000 is a waste and I should have settled with a different one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts