Just laid down $1800, now I have a question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robsadler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Charleston, WV
Well I finally did it, ordered a JVC 56in HDILA yesterday. I will be using a OTA antenna for my locals since D* told me to look for local HD service by July of this year (which we all know that means sometime in early 2008). I am not going to upgrade to an H20 or HR20 till my local HD service starts (60% of my television watching is local networks). To make a long story short, how does SD D* service look on a HDTV? I know most of you will say I should go ahead and upgrade to HD service but I don't see it feasible at this point for me. Hopefully by the time HD locals are available for my DMA the cost of upgrading will go down. I just don't see the sence in spending $299 on a HD receiver if I'm not going to watch any of the HD package D* has to offer. I know I can hook up my OTA antenna to the HR20 and record but it's not worth it to me. I will be hooking up a R15 via S-cable to my new HDTV. I already have an DVD player that is upconverted. So how does the picture look on an hdtv. Thank you in advance for your input.

It will probably look like ass. OR it may not, it depends on the connection type used, the scaling ability [stretching] of the equipment, distance the picture is viewed from, and your optical acuity, etc.

Last edited:
D* sends out 480x480 SD-LITE at low bandwidth instead of the normal 640x480 SD

So how do you think it will look?

It will probably look like ass. OR it may not, it depends on the connection type used, the scaling ability [stretching] of the equipment, distance the picture is viewed from, and your optical acuity, etc.

Whatever you do, don't stretch the picture. It will make it look way worse, like zooming in.

Call D* and ask to speak to retention group. See if you can get free HR20 or H20 at best with free 6 months of HD package and/or HBO/Showtime. Take advantage of that new TV. Congrats BTW.

Hopefully by the time HD locals are available for my DMA the cost of upgrading will go down.

Based on what I have read on this and other boards about the new pricing for all packages, the price of HD will actually go up. Granted it will go from 9.99 to 10.99, but still. Definitely go the way of retention dept for any available deals and discounts. It might be worth it just to get full use of your HDTV until your locals are ready. DiscoveryHD always looks good (IMO) even if the subject isn't of personal interest. ;)

If you can get your locals OTA and you don't need to record in HD, there is no need to get the H20 or HR20 yet. I just got a 61" JVC 1080p last week, and the OTA HD shows are really nice. I don't even turn on my D* receiver when watching locals...I just use the built-in OTA tv tuner. I don't have D* HD locals yet, but I doubt they will be as clear as OTA locals. :)

If you can get your locals OTA and you don't need to record in HD, there is no need to get the H20 or HR20 yet. I just got a 61" JVC 1080p last week, and the OTA HD shows are really nice. I don't even turn on my D* receiver when watching locals...I just use the built-in OTA tv tuner. I don't have D* HD locals yet, but I doubt they will be as clear as OTA locals. :)

Your D* locals will not be as good as your OTA could be close, depending on your situation, but generally speaking, the OTA give you a better overall picture.

Jimbo

I will be hooking up a R15 via S-cable to my new HDTV. I already have an DVD player that is upconverted. So how does the picture look on an hdtv. Thank you in advance for your input.

First, Congrats on your new HDTV. I watch (and record) more network than anything as well, but I do watch the D* HD stuff too.

Q. Is this S-Video connection the BEST connection you have available ?
I don't have either the R-15 or a JVC TV, but you gotta do better with a Component connection at least.

Jimbo

My recommendation is to get a new Satellite Receiver with a component Video output to connect to the TV. I had a DirecTV Philips TV box connected to my 30" Toshiba CRT HDTV through composite inputs and the image looked grainy and the colors were a bit splotchy on some channels. This last Saturday, I had an HR20 installed with a component input and the SD channels look 10 times clearer and cleaner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts