Just Ordered 1TB My DVR Expander for HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Will let everyone know how it goes once I get it in, get the drive clean of shows, and hook the Expander up.

Will let everyone know how it goes once I get it in, get the drive clean of shows, and hook the Expander up.

If it doesn't look like it's gonna work when you set it up, don't give up, you'll probably get a error Diag. code of some sort, it will ask you to reboot to try to fix the error, give it a try, it will take a while to get this set up, so be patient.

If it still doesn't work, start over and try again, it took me a few trys to get it going, (I'm not using the same one you have, but thought you would want to know.)

Once I got it going, it has worked like a champ, thru regular and CE's and anything else.

I'm using a Seagate 1.5 TB Free Agent Extreme.

My point is, if it doesn't work right out of the box, keep trying.

If it doesn't look like it's gonna work when you set it up, don't give up, you'll probably get a error Diag. code of some sort, it will ask you to reboot to try to fix the error, give it a try, it will take a while to get this set up, so be patient.

If it still doesn't work, start over and try again, it took me a few trys to get it going, (I'm not using the same one you have, but thought you would want to know.)

Once I got it going, it has worked like a champ, thru regular and CE's and anything else.

I'm using a Seagate 1.5 TB Free Agent Extreme.

My point is, if it doesn't work right out of the box, keep trying.
I need a little help on this drive myself. I got the WDC 1 TB drive DirecTv recommends and just got the SWM upgrade. 1 time on the HR21-100 out of 20 trys I got a drive corrupt error but all of the other times I got the "checking drive for errors" stuck until I did give up. The new HR 24-500 sticks on the "checking for errors" and never sees the drive. Installing exactly as suggested and not giving up yet. Any advice? I already had to wipe one DVR of all contents so this one has a blank hard drive and I really could use the extra space.

You will love it I currently have 15 episodes of csi miami and another 15 of csi ny because life got busy and I wasn't able to watch them , the freedom of not worry to clear out the dvr so other shows can record is priceless. Plus you can keep soem HD films on it too. I am running and Antech mx-1 cooling enclosure with a seagate 1.5tb drive. It Rocks!!!

Yeah, Ive used them in the past with Dish, TiVo and Directv, but since I had two HR's and am adding MRV soon, I thought Id not want. With Summer activity, and my addiction to fball in the Fall, I'd rather not be tied down to needing to clear out room.

I'm gonna use the Liv room dvr, with the 1TB, to record all OTA duties, and the Bdroom dvr for sat channels and stuff my wife does not care about. That'll give me 100 hours of mpeg 4 and 120 of mpeg 2.

I need a little help on this drive myself. I got the WDC 1 TB drive DirecTv recommends and just got the SWM upgrade. 1 time on the HR21-100 out of 20 trys I got a drive corrupt error but all of the other times I got the "checking drive for errors" stuck until I did give up. The new HR 24-500 sticks on the "checking for errors" and never sees the drive. Installing exactly as suggested and not giving up yet. Any advice? I already had to wipe one DVR of all contents so this one has a blank hard drive and I really could use the extra space.

Just let it go, mine went for like 30 minutes or so, till I forgot about it, doing other stuff then when I cam e back into the room, it was good to go.

Was able to hook it up today. Powered the dvr down, plugged in the WD and powered it up, then powered up the HR24. Popped up during restart and said it was formatting the external drive, so hopefully everything went smoothly.

Read my post, don't give up and don't think it's not still working on doing it's thing.

You will love it I currently have 15 episodes of csi miami and another 15 of csi ny because life got busy and I wasn't able to watch them , the freedom of not worry to clear out the dvr so other shows can record is priceless. Plus you can keep soem HD films on it too. I am running and Antech mx-1 cooling enclosure with a seagate 1.5tb drive. It Rocks!!!

One word of caution , for those that fill up thier HD's with invaluable stuff.
Don't forget you cannot move them to a new DRV in most cases, what I'm getting at is,if it's something you REALLY NEED, I would move it to another medium ....
D* is not responsible for any shows that may get lost.

Was able to hook it up today. Powered the dvr down, plugged in the WD and powered it up, then powered up the HR24. Popped up during restart and said it was formatting the external drive, so hopefully everything went smoothly.

Are you there yet, or still working on it ? :D

Yeah, got my settings fixed and favorites back in. Recording HD news right now as a test. All went well, and worked try.

I've used both the USB and eSata version of these My DVR Expanders, and they've always worked great.

Working well so far. Recorded 2 hours of OTA HD and 4 hours of Sat HD, and it was showing 96% available.

Since installing it, I have seen my HR24 internal temp go from 109-111, to 115-117, which is odd.

Cool! Yeah at some point time might have to look into doing that.

Just wish they would let you use a USB Wireless Adapters. Thats something Dish and Direct need to do is to put in a built in wireless adapter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts