Just ordered Vip722k DVR

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
So I decided to get the DVR technology and all that goes with it. I'm curious about the EHD. What is the largest amount of drive space you can use? I know there are specs but are they firm? Can you plug in an EHD with videos stored from a pc, and use this like a media player? I have 12tb of media on EHDs of one kind or another. I don't need the DVR to be a media player but might be nice. I guess what made me step up to the deal is the VOD services and the occasional 1080p movie I might watch.

You can't access anything on one of your EHDs. When u plug it in to your 722k it will reformat it therefore erasing everything previously on there. Dish says up to 1TB but I have a 2TB that works great.

I too have a 2TB drive on my 722k .. formatted it comes up as 1.8 TB. I did attempt to put that drive on a 211k, it formatted and then told me the drive was too large. My 2TB is a Seagate, bought at Costco, the 1TB for the 211k is a WD also bought at Costco.

The 211K has a 1TB limit, 2TB for the other VIP receivers.
I know.. but it never hurts to try... :) I thought I'd won when it didn't complain up front about it being too large.. but no... saw my trick and pulled the "not gonna happen" sign from the depths of its repertoire and smacked me with it.. :)

Got thew new DVR and set it up last night. Everyhing is good until I go in the bedroom and try to watch Sat Tuner 2. I can't get it to respond to the remote at all. I even enabled IR and it still won't respond. I tried the remote #2 from the VIP222k and it doesn't respond. I see the screen saver but it won't turn on. What's the trick?

Magic Static said:
Got thew new DVR and set it up last night. Everyhing is good until I go in the bedroom and try to watch Sat Tuner 2. I can't get it to respond to the remote at all. I even enabled IR and it still won't respond. I tried the remote #2 from the VIP222k and it doesn't respond. I see the screen saver but it won't turn on. What's the trick?

Make sure the code setting on your remote matches the code on the receiver for TV2. Set the remote to UHF if the receiver is in another room. IR can't travel through walls.

Make sure cable going to your tv connects to tv2 output on receiver.

I installed a WD 1.5TB Element on my 722 ($89.99 @ Fry's) Plug it into the usb port. Your screen will tell you that the device is being formatted. When finished you can get to it by hitting your recorded stuff button. The EHD will be listed as as "send to device" or "manage device". It will take yo 60 seconds to get used to it.

Got it going, Thanks. It was a remote address problem. @KAB the new remotes have a little switch inside the battery cover to enable IR along with UHF. I read about it in the manual that came with the Vip722k. And sure enough there was the switch. But still needed the right remote address. BTW thanks for the diagram. I often wondered how you were supposed to use that attenuator the came with all the stuff.

The switch on the 21.0 remote is for if you want TV1 to be controlled via UHF, not IR for TV2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts