Just Out Of 2 Year Contract - Statement up 33% - Help

dangerousdave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Just after our two year contract expired, our new statement without a contract is up 33%. We've been with DISH for more than 5 years and prefer to stay with them for several reasons. That is despite the fact we can't watch our local MLB team (if play starts) because DISH has dropped Fox Sports South or Southeast since last July. Can anyone suggest what to say or how to go about asking customer service for a cheaper contract without dropping Top 200?

Service we have is Top 200 + local channels, 1 Hopper, 1 Joey, $5 credit for auto pay.

If you log into your mydish account online, you may see an option for the Preferred Customer Offer (or whatever they are calling it now). If you select that option and agree to a new two-year contract, that will give you whatever the current discount on Top 200 is, with a two-year price lock.

Otherwise, without dropping Top 200, the only other things you could cut would be dropping local channels and/or downgrading your Hopper to a Hopper Duo. Dropping locals would save you $12 per month. If you can get OTA reception, you could still add a dual-tuner OTA adapter to get the locals integrated into your guide that way. It is also possible to add and remove the satellite-delivered locals at will without any penalty. However, that may be too much of a hassle micro-managing your account online to add the locals every day you want to watch them, and then drop them again to save money. Downgrading to a Hopper Duo would save you $5 per month off the DVR fee. You could drop the Joey to save $7 per month, but then you would obviously lose service on your second TV. For a rarely-used TV, it may be a good idea to use a purchased Joey, so it could be added and removed at will, the same way that I mentioned about the satellite-delivered locals.

If you do not have any existing recordings from your Hopper that you absolutely need to save, the cheapest option would be to simply start over with a Wally. Adding an external hard drive and paying a one-time $40 fee would convert the Wally into a DVR with no monthly fee. Make it clear to Dish that you are making this change to try to save money, and you may be able to talk them into waiving that $40 fee. Add a purchased Wally for the second TV, and it can be deactivated and activated when needed, just like I mentioned about the Joey earlier. Keeping the second Wally activated full-time would cost the same $7 per month fee that the Joey currently costs. One drawback of the Wally system is that the Wally receivers do not integrate with each other, though. That means no watching recordings from one room in another room, unless you manually swap the external hard drive from one Wally to the other one.

Threatening to leave does not work anymore?

Threatening to leave does not work anymore?
I think it has to do with your history with Dish.
But in any case, especially now I could drop Dish completely. I'm tired of paying for TV channels and media outlets that go against my beliefs.
Most of the movies and TV shows on speciality channels such as Showtime and Starz suck big time. I'm not interested in viewing movies I've seen hundreds of times already. I think I'm just getting tired of TV in general.

Reactions: LisaA and HipKat
Just call loyalty and offer to sign another 2 yr agreement if they drop the bill back down, but you must specify to the person that answers that you want the Loyalty Department
Better yet, just call 1-888-496-1260
That will get you straight through to Loyalty, with a lot fewer button presses in their automated phone system, too. :)

I think it has to do with your history with Dish.
But in any case, especially now I could drop Dish completely. I'm tired of paying for TV channels and media outlets that go against my beliefs.
Most of the movies and TV shows on speciality channels such as Showtime and Starz suck big time. I'm not interested in viewing movies I've seen hundreds of times already. I think I'm just getting tired of TV in general.
I'm THIS close to dropping it. I've been using my Firestick more and more. Once I get caught up on my DVR and finish downloading the movies I've recorded that I want to keep in my library, it's going to be hard to resist giving up a $116.00 a month bill for something I almost never watch anymore

Reactions: ewindowman
I'm THIS close to dropping it. I've been using my Firestick more and more. Once I get caught up on my DVR and finish downloading the movies I've recorded that I want to keep in my library, it's going to be hard to resist giving up a $116.00 a month bill for something I almost never watch anymore

I only pay $50 for YTTV, but I would give it up in a second, it is not the costs since I could afford a Traditional Service, it is the value of service to me, there is just nothing on anymore that I cannot watch online at a latter date on a streaming service, OTA stuff I can save with my Tablo, but the biggest thing is there will not much new content any time soon because of the virus shutting productions down, Netflix and the likes have said they have enough new content to last until the end of the year or longer if they delay things a little.

Why have I not gotten rid of it......the wife, she likes the ease of service it has, she also records everything on Food Network since we have a unlimited DVR, and i mean everything.

Dvr and skipping commercials...
Until ALL streaming I want to watch can be commercial skipped, I'll pay for the dvr that lets me skip commercials

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I don’t stream a whole lot of programs, but I can’t think of any where I get stuck watching commercials

I need to save that number!
Yeah, it used to be that every time someone would post a "special" phone number here, Dish would quickly stop using that number, and switch to a different phone number instead. However, I have posted this particular number here many times, and it still works. I still have it on a scrap of paper I saved from the win-back offer Dish mailed me back in 2015, which is where I got the number. (Other members here also posted the same number even earlier than that.) So, this seems to be Dish's permanent phone number for this particular department. :)

Yeah, it used to be that every time someone would post a "special" phone number here, Dish would quickly stop using that number, and switch to a different phone number instead. However, I have posted this particular number here many times, and it still works. I still have it on a scrap of paper I saved from the win-back offer Dish mailed me back in 2015, which is where I got the number. (Other members here also posted the same number even earlier than that.) So, this seems to be Dish's permanent phone number for this particular department. :)
Speaking of phone numbers haven't seen or heard of the Dish team on this forum for a while.:cool::sleepy

Speaking of phone numbers haven't seen or heard of the Dish team on this forum for a while.:cool::sleepy
They are still around. Last post this morning.

They are still around. Last post this morning.
Well that involved a Hopper3 and Netflix so I skipped over it. You on the other hand see all.:D
:hail:eeek

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. For the moment, I have dropped from the 200 to the 120 package to preserve our recordings. We've subscribed to HULU + live + enhanced cloud and now can watch local baseball & soccer action. With HULU, we can also now watch our ABC affiliate WSB, that DISH has their most recent dispute with their provider Apollo. Next out the door is our DISH local channels.

DISH "loyalty" dept were kind however, said they would reduce our fees however, we of course have to sign another contract which we're not going to do. We'll likely drop DISH in the next few weeks. Sad as we've been with them for over 15 years.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. For the moment, I have dropped from the 200 to the 120 package to preserve our recordings. We've subscribed to HULU + live + enhanced cloud and now can watch local baseball & soccer action. With HULU, we can also now watch our ABC affiliate WSB, that DISH has their most recent dispute with their provider Apollo. Next out the door is our DISH local channels.

DISH "loyalty" dept were kind however, said they would reduce our fees however, we of course have to sign another contract which we're not going to do. We'll likely drop DISH in the next few weeks. Sad as we've been with them for over 15 years.
You should call back and ask again. If you cancel they will be contacting you, usually by mail, with offers to come back - almost immediately.

You should call back and ask again. If you cancel they will be contacting you, usually by mail, with offers to come back - almost immediately.
That is true. Like I said earlier in the thread, that is where I got the special phone number that I use for calling Dish, from a win-back offer that they mailed me. That phone number has come in very handy many times over the years since then. :)

Reactions: dangerousdave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts