Just signed on with DirecTV from DISH and have Distand Network HD question??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yukon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Just signed on with DirecTV from DISH and have Distant Network HD question??

Hey guys newcomer here from DISH. They are supposed to install my system tomorrow morning, and I was wondering since I live in an area 70 miles away from the TV stations and can't get anything over an OTA antenna are they gonna give me the distants in HD??? thanks in advance!!

hd

You should be able to get the distant networks. You'll have to call d* and ask for the hd department. They will try to get you waivers so you can get the networks in hd. Your closest locals will not come in hd only the distant channels via la or ny. Good luck

steve

thats what I'm hoping for!! Thanks so much... Got fed up with DISH and switched... hope its worth it!!!

Well nothing really major. With Dish to get OLN i had to subscribe to their top pack, and with DirecTV its in their minimal pack. Just little stuff like that, but everytime I call them they try give me the runaround and crap, but i know thats with both services. I've been with Dish for 4 years and just ready for change. Hopefully DirecTV is not bad. Plus Dish argued with me on a promo they was running and I put it on paper and know I was right, but they was determined they was, and it was over three friggin dollars... No big deal on the money, its just the point of it all. Charlie can kiss me goodbye.. Direct installer will be at my home in the morning. Hopefully I won't regret it. But anyway sure you can't go wrong with either. Just have to buy my time and see.. Good Luck to whatever you decide!!!

I posted this in another tread (Avoid Directv HD tax) but its relevant here:

The "local" stations can (and likely will) deny you a waver to receive the national feeds in HD unless you are truely way out in the sticks. I think you have to be pretty far away for them to bless you. I'm in the process of groveling at the feet of a local station that has my entire chance of seeing Fox HD in their hands. I'm 90 miles from their city and at least 50 miles away from their nearest commercial sponser. I wouldn't drive that far to buy their products if they were giving them away. I hate that they have that control over my HD fate.

BTW, I believe Directv automatically applies to your locals for your waivers when you sign up. I got a post card announcing my denials (3 out of 4 stations) in about a month.

Well the CSR has applied for me, I just hope it don't take 45 days like he said it would. How long did it take you to get your denials back??? But all in all I like DirecTV so far from my weekend experience.. Like it way better than dish.

Yukon,

Welcome to the D* side. I think you will find that many of the current D* subs on this site are currently a bit irritable with the current lack of HD channels and the pending system swap out due to MPEG4 conversion. Hence tossing around the idea of moving to Dish.

I think you will enjoy D*.

I know that if they deny you waivers, and you ask to have a signal test done, if they can't get a signal for your locals then you qualify for the distants then.

Trust me Dish's HD ain't nothing special. The only Dish HD station I miss is the TNTHD. Other than that. The VOOM package on Dish sux. I had it for couple of weeks and never watched any of the channels. I know its opinion, but for me I like Directv better so far. Only had since the weekend though :)

And I will definitely tell em to come out and signal test, cause I can promise they ain't getting anything from my neck of the woods :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)