Just signed up for VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
OK, I bit the bullet and just signed up with VOOM. Install will allegedly take place on the 21st.

Even though I still have several months left on my commitment to E* I have decided to make the jump. I will simply keep minimal package on E* until contract runs out.

Yes, I realize that VOOM may go belly up. They may or may not deliver on their promise of more channels and a DVR in March. Reality is that even in they go dark, I will be $1 poorer. Given the current offer with only a 6 month commitment, I simply saw no reason to sit on the fence any longer.

I see VOOM as the underdog upstart that E* was a few years ago. They are offering more that anyone else in the realm of HD. I am fortunate in that I get over 20 OTA digital channels including all the networks. Thus, I figure why not do my part to help them succeed.

No way on earth I would buy the equipment at this point but the lease option is a no lose proposition.

Question if anyone reads this far. I have a BIG channelmaster up on my roof with rotator and preamp. Will the installer tie this in as I am sure it pulls a much better signal than whatever they will bring. Can the output from the preamp feed into the diplexer or whatever they will use. Besides, given the height and pitch of my roof, I doubt he will want to climb up there to install another antenna!

Welcome aboard. I read the entire post, and if I was the installer and you had a good, working antenna in place, I would definitely do what I could to have you continue to use it when Voom is installed. Common sense would dictate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy. Just tell the installer you'd like to continue to use your existing OTA and I'm sure they can work with it. Good luck on the 21st. The Stone Man will be hoping for zero errors for you.

i'm no expert but i would use the one you have. not sure about using the preamp with the diplexor. i'm sure someone will square you away with that problem. good luck with your install. 20 ota stations...you're lucky, i get 6 and i feel fortunate.

I think this in part would depend on how its wired into your current system.

If it's wired thorugh a diplexor with your E* system, it might not be that simple.

Does the OTA antenna have its own wiring to the receiver, or is it combined and then diplexed?

Jim,

At the moment it is a dedicated coax from the antenna to the pre-amp to TV #1. It is not diplexed into the E* system. Of course I would like the antenna ultimately to feed all 3 TV's which will have the VOOM boxes.

Thanks.

I was installed yesterday and also had my own antenna w/preamp which was used for analog and digital tuners through a passive splitter installed in the line after the preamp power supply. The installer suggested we use my existing coax from the OTA antenna and I politely declined, as I wanted separate coax runs for OTA and satellite to avoid using a diplexer.

The Voom OTA tuner seems to be a good one, as I actually got a couple more stations on the scan I either hadn't looked for or had just come on the air using my Samsung ATSC tuner - it found 31 channels (many of them subs) on the scan.

I'd suggest using what you have and ask for them to run new coax for the dish. It is part of the install after all, and for those of us who have existing OTA setups, we're just saving Voom some money - as well as potential problems by fixing something that already works as Stone Man indicated.

Good luck on your install. I'm sure you'll like the service.

Doug

Amphicar770 said:
Jim,

At the moment it is a dedicated coax from the antenna to the pre-amp to TV #1. It is not diplexed into the E* system. Of course I would like the antenna ultimately to feed all 3 TV's which will have the VOOM boxes.

Thanks.

How you wire it really depends on either how capable you are or how much you are willing to pay the installer. You can connect into a diplexing multiswitch on the downside of the pre-amp (the installer's cheapest way, and the one that will give you the most problems) or use a passive splitter (still on the downside of the pre-amp) and run separate coax to each receiver (this is the more expensive route unless you are capable of doing that work yourself).
I have my Voom installation scheduled for Wed (19th), that is if they decide to show this time around. I already have the entire system pre-wired and dish mast in place (I install D*, and knew how I did & did not want things done, so best to do as much as possible myself).
I know one thing for sure, if the OTA antenna they install doesn't do the job, I will not waste time begging & pleading with Voom to upgrade it, I'll just install a better antenna myself.
Good luck and let us know how evewrything comes out.

I suspect I will have them install their antenna and feed that to the bedromm sets. I will leave my antenna for the big TV. If the VOOM antenna works then great, if not I can later split out my own antenna with seperate coax runs.

New Guy Desideing

dougmcbride said:
and for those of us who have existing OTA setups, we're just saving Voom some money - as well as potential problems by fixing something that already works as
Doug

I'm currently a Dish customer, I have a dish (Dish) for the locals...is that considered OTA setup?

CPT Mike. OTA (Over The Air) refers to picking up your channels using a traditional antenna. DISH locals are provided (poorly in terms of PQ) via satellite. If you were getting OTA HD channels the difference from what you are seeing on DISH would be mind boggling!

Amphicar770 said:
OK, I bit the bullet and just signed up with VOOM.
Yes, I realize that VOOM may go belly up. They may or may not deliver on their promise of more channels and a DVR in March. Reality is that even if they go dark, I will be $1 poorer. Given the current offer with only a 6 month commitment, I simply saw no reason to sit on the fence any longer.

This is why I joined VOOM . I wanted some fresh HD . I've been wanting to get VOOM for awhile now . But because of the continuous issues /w lockups and such I thought it wouldn't be a good idea since I have 4 kids and a wife that would rather have "simplicity" .
But hell for a dollar (and 6month comm.) it's so worth the shot . I live for this S@&t so I'll take as I see it and enjoy it as it is .
I'll keep DirectTV for awhile until things get stable /w VOOM .

Hopefully there will be more people like us and jump on the wagon . It's sure would help VOOM in it's financial situation and give them some hope ...
Wishful thinking ??? I hope not ............we'll see ;)

,,...............................nuclearmeltdown2046

neuclear

I was reading your post a little too fast and thought it said 4 wives and a kid. lol

No wonder you want HD and plenty of it. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)