Just Starting Out with BUD System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amppress

Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Hi folks. I'm just starting out with BUD and am in the early research stages. I am reading everything I can. Is there a definitive source of info - possibly a book, magazine, web site. I need to get through the whole process of knowing what to buy. So far I seem to have learned that I should go with a 10 foot dish and I should get 4dtv. Is the 920 4dtv still an acceptable technology? Another quick question. I don't want any xxx material. If you don't order any such material, is there other stuff you have to block and can you block it? Thanks for whatever advice and help you guys can provide!

Hello amppress,
Here is a link ya might want to look at
http://www.geo-orbit.org/

The 920 is acceptable, but does not have some of the features of the 922, specifically it does not output analog signal it recieves as S Video, just the digital signal. There are a couple of xxx channels that you will want to block as sometimes they broadcast "in the clear" previews.

I definately recommend a solid 10' dish or a 10' mesh dish with holes in the mesh that are no larger than 1/8th". Smaller mesh holes = better KU reception
You will also want a dual band feedhorn, so you can recieve both c-band and ku band channels.
enjoy

Thanks I'm checking it out right now! There seems to be so much to know. I want to make sure I get what I really need. In addition, I'd rather spend a few hundred more and be happier with the result than save a few bucks.

In the 4dtv forum look at the swap and shop section to get great deals. I would go for a 922 you will need a VCII+ board and a cheap dvb unit is good, c/ku with all this also and then you will have a fullview system, if you need HD grab a HDD 200.

QUOTE: "Is there a definitive source of info?"

The standard reference for all this is

"Home Satellite TV Installation and Troubleshooting Manual" by Frank Baylin, F Baylin, Brent Gale, Ron Long.

Paperback
EAN: 9780917893315
ISBN: 091789331X
Number Of Pages: 309
Publication Date: December 01, 1995
Publisher: Baylin/Gale Productions

You can buy this for about $30 at the usual places. Also available for free at many local public libraries.

A bit dated in some details, but the general information is excellent. I'd recommend checking your local library first. If they don't have it they may be able to get a copy through inter-library loan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.