Just Switched to BH from Dish. A few questions

jtrippe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Wetumpka, Alabama
BH is coming to install TV service this weekend (already have roadrunner). We are leaving Dish and saving some money but losing a bunch of HD channels. BH in my area (Wetumpka) only offers about 50 HD channels while in Birmingham it offers around 100. Why the big discrepancy? How do I find out when BH will add HD in my area? Also, any news on an Android app for BH? Thanks in advance.

First of all welcome to Bright House Networks we're glad to have you. I must admit I'm gonna need to review your offerings and make an inquiry or two and get back to you on this. May take a day or so if that's okay.... My name is Gary btw and if you need anything BHN related you let me know :)

First of all welcome to Bright House Networks we're glad to have you. I must admit I'm gonna need to review your offerings and make an inquiry or two and get back to you on this. May take a day or so if that's okay.... My name is Gary btw and if you need anything BHN related you let me know :)

Thanks! Let me know if you need more details. We'll have digital and HD service in Wetumpka, Alabama, Elmore County. I also signed us up for the Sports Pack and the HD Pack. The sports pack only had about 15 channels while the Birmingham market has over 50 including a ton of HD in its sports pack. It just seems kinda weird that BH Birmingham has double the HD channels as BH Wetumpka. I hope BH ups its offerings in Wetumpka soon.

Your system there south of town is a bit different than Birmingham. I'm checking into additional channels for your area...this will likely take a day or two.

Got installed this morning. A little disappointed at first because the tech showed up with a HD DVR without HDMI. I took the box back to the local office 5 miles away and switched it out with no problems. The tech's setup took 10 minutes as I already had everything ready for him. I setup the box with only one small issue. The digital channels were only 4:3. However, with the box off I pressed menu and changed the 4:3 override to stretch. Should I have set it to 480p instead? Is stretch the only way to get each digital or SD channel to fill the screen? My TV won't do it when I change its aspect ratio. Anyway, I was very happy to find two more HD channels that weren't listed online. MLB and local WIYC. I was really happy about MLB HD. My package has 50 HD channels and I could add three more if I added premiums. I asked the customer service lady at the local office if she knew of any HD channels coming but she was clueless. I'm hopeful BHNtechXpert reports back that more HD is coming.

About two years ago, I had the same issue where the installer showed up with a non HDMI box. How hard would it be to carry both in your truck in case you need it?

Oh, I see. Doubles inventory and we can't have that.

That may fix itself when the system "notices" your version is old.

I hope it updates. The interface is pretty plane. Any way to force an update? I've hooked it up to the internet but I don't know if it really does anything. The remote DVR is not available in my area. (It seems my area is very limited) Also, for some reason the 4:3 override had to be reset each time I turn on my TV through my Onkyo receiver. I run the HDMI through it. If I just turn on the TV and box it retains the setting. (I've got a through setting on the receiver)

BHNtechXpert said:
Your system there south of town is a bit different than Birmingham. I'm checking into additional channels for your area...this will likely take a day or two.

Were you able to find out anything? I hoping for good news :)

Unfortunately, I had to switch to BH when I moved recently. Too many trees for me to keep Dish. I hope they add many HD channels.

Do you live in the Wetumpka area as well?

Edit: Just saw that you are. I've been happy with BH Wetumpka so far. Yes, you are losing a bunch of HD channels and on demand coming from Dish. However, I've chatted with some guys on this site and a regional supervisor. Changes are coming! I was told by a local supervisor that 2012 would be a big year for upgrades to the system that covers our region. I don't know what those changes are yet but you will find them out here or at the local Montgomery area site (check your PM). I will say that the pictures quality seems better on BH. If you subscribe to everything, including premiums, BH Wetumpka has 53 HD channels. Hopefully we'll see 100 like their other locations soon. I also didn't like their set top box. You might not either coming from Dish. I went with a TIVO. Still, nothing compares to those Dish boxes.

Last edited:
Yep, the HD looks pretty good on BH. I subscribe to the HD without premiums or sports (if there is a sports HD package.) I don't watch anything thats not HD and they don't have but a couple of premium hd channels so I don't subscribe. Hopefully, your BH contact is right. I would like to see many more HDs soon.

Just an FYI, I just got a "pass " bundle added to my main bundle. Sports pass, movie pass and HD pack for $10. They are usually $7 each. Only adds 5 HD channels. I bet we get a good report back on new HD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)