Just tried vod and WOW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

McVey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I tried vod for the first time today and I am really impressed. As soon as I clicked on a movie to download i was able to watch it as it downloaded. It only took about an hour to download a 2 and a half hour movie. As far as title's go there are tons of movies way more then cable. Now that Directv has vod they are smashing cable in every aspect!!.

Its being slowly rolled oout across the country, if you dont have it now you will get it in a few weeks. :)

It is worth the wait!

Scott:

ON all versions of the HR20 box?

What is this vod that you are talking about? Where is it?

VoD = DoD = Video on Demand (aka DirecTV on Demand) I also prefer to say VoD as DoD is the Department of Defense and VoD is the LONG STANDING & usual vernacular!

Scott:

ON all versions of the HR20 box?

VoD = DoD = Video on Demand (aka DirecTV on Demand) I also prefer to say Vod as DoD is the Department of Defense!
Currently the national rollout has it only on the HR20-700, the HR20-100 can get it only via the CE software process.

Yes, you must be connected; preferably @ high-speed (I a going to say at least 1.5Mbps).

It is particular video selections in an "on demand" format; similar to what is available in most hotels. Use to call their's SpectraVision and later OnCommand Video.

Can you explain it to me. What is it? Do I need my receiver connected to the internet? I do have the HR-20 700.

Video on Demand. Many call it Directv on Demand (DOD). You have to have you receiver connected to the internet as it uses your broadband connection to download the show or movie. It is almost like what the cable companies have for VOD service. Once you start the downloading process you can begin watching after a few seconds (depending on internet connection speeds).

I didn't hear anything about this until reading it here. Has Directv advertised this or will they? Is this only for the HR receivers? Also, do you have to have it hard wired to the Internet or can you use wireless? If so, how would you hook it up? Also, what is the pricing on this dod/vod?

I didn't hear anything about this until reading it here. Has Directv advertised this or will they? Is this only for the HR receivers? Also, do you have to have it hard wired to the Internet or can you use wireless? If so, how would you hook it up? Also, what is the pricing on this dod/vod?

Since D* is labeling the on demand service "Beta" I suspect that they won't advertise it until they remove the "Beta" tag.

How come it has to have high speed internet? Why can't I start some downloads via satellite before I go to bed?

Too slow? Well that would be the price I would pay for not having high speed internet, but I should have the option.

How come it has to have high speed internet? Why can't I start some downloads via satellite before I go to bed?

Too slow? Well that would be the price I would pay for not having high speed internet, but I should have the option.
Far too slow. Ever tried downloading music at dial up speed? about 100 times worse
And its not offered for download via the sat signal

Far too slow. Ever tried downloading music at dial up speed? about 100 times worse
And its not offered for download via the sat signal

Yea but Sat speed has to be better than dial up, right?

If not I see your point, I just figured it would be at least twice that of 56K.

It was originally noted that Directv On Demand would have some programming available via sat. That method of delivery would not work with the new On Demand interface. The interface is one of the great selling points of this new service.

You may see some "pushed" (popular) programming in your playlist in the future

Most of the content is free so far. You can use a wireless bridge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)