Just want to make sure I have this 4k stuff correct

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
So I just purchased a new LG OLED 4k TV. Should be here some time next week. I currently have a HR-54 in the room where my new 4k TV will go and a C51 on HDTV in another room. So to get live 4k tv I would have to move the HR-54 to the room with the HDTV and then either get the C51 swapped for a C61 or use the RVU on the new tv correct?

So I just purchased a new LG OLED 4k TV. Should be here some time next week. I currently have a HR-54 in the room where my new 4k TV will go and a C51 on HDTV in another room. So to get live 4k tv I would have to move the HR-54 to the room with the HDTV and then either get the C51 swapped for a C61 or use the RVU on the new tv correct?
Yes, and when linear 4k channels start, you will also need a reverse band lnb.

Should I request the reverse band lnb or will they just add it when they come to swap receivers?

Also does anyone know if my TV is RVU capable? I looked on DirecTV's website and they list all the 2016 LG OLED models but not any of the 2017 models. I got a 65 inch B7 coming.

IMHO, just get the C61K client and forget using RVU, at least based on using it on three different Samsung TV's. Mainly because DIRECTV will then own the entire signal path and not be able to blame LG for any issues. Plus if LG acts like Samsung, once the next model year TV's come out they tend to stop providing software updates for the TV. Lastly, DIRECTV is going to charge you $7 per month either way.

Reactions: harshness
Should I request the reverse band lnb or will they just add it when they come to swap receivers?

Also does anyone know if my TV is RVU capable? I looked on DirecTV's website and they list all the 2016 LG OLED models but not any of the 2017 models. I got a 65 inch B7 coming.

I’ve got the 2016 model and it is RVU capable. I assume yours will be too (it appears as an app in their webos App Store). That being said, I agree that you should just go with the c61k (which is what I did). I hear it is faster and more responsive than the RVU, and you don’t save any money going with the RVU.

By the way, the LG OLED is by far the best tv purchase I’ve ever made. Worth every penny (and it was a lot of pennies). Enjoy!

Reactions: caseyf57
LG RVUS have had an issue after the last software update, theres a thread on the att/directv forums

go with a c61k, or you may have to wait for lg tp update the firmware

Ah. I always forget that it’s up to the TV manufacturers to do software updates for RVU, not Directv. I will just get the C61.

And yes I’m very excited about my new TV. I have an OLED that’s only HDTV. And it’s amazing. I always said that I was going to save up so that when I made the jump to 4K it would be another OLED. They’re spendy but amazing.

Last edited:
The rb lnb is part of the upgrade to an HR54.

Yes, and when linear 4k channels start, you will also need a reverse band lnb.
Actually 4K linear channels have already long begun (on chs. 104-106).

But the RB capable LNBs will be needed when 4K linear channel broadcasting moves from the Ka band where it is now temporarily, to the RB scheduled for sometime in late '18.

Actually 4K linear channels have already long begun (on chs. 104-106).

But the RB capable LNBs will be needed when 4K linear channel broadcasting moves from the Ka band where it is now temporarily, to the RB scheduled for sometime in late '18.
I don't know the real definition, but I've never considered 104-106 to be linear channels. You are of course correct about the move to the rb band.

I've always thought linear channels had to be full time.

104 is full time, at least from what I can tell from when the 4K stuff shows up on my HR44 like it is now. 105 is PPV and 106 is the Events channel. Linear channels to me have program data in the guide vs. just on-demand stuff. None of the 4K is worth it to me to pay for a second receiver, loose the ESPN app, and have to deal with the horrible Directv client system.

I've always thought linear channels had to be full time.

104 is full time, at least from what I can tell from when the 4K stuff shows up on my HR44 like it is now. 105 is PPV and 106 is the Events channel. Linear channels to me have program data in the guide vs. just on-demand stuff. None of the 4K is worth it to me to pay for a second receiver, loose the ESPN app, and have to deal with the horrible Directv client system.
104 is full time, but it shows the same thing over and over.

If the content isn't that good I might just wait for now and let the TV upscale. Use my Fire TV and PS 4 Pro for 4k content. It will depend on how much Directv is going to charge me to change out receivers.

If the content isn't that good I might just wait for now and let the TV upscale. Use my Fire TV and PS 4 Pro for 4k content. It will depend on how much Directv is going to charge me to change out receivers.
Not to be a "wet blanket" on 4K, but what you say is what I would do in your situation ...

To me DIRECTV's 4K equipment solution based on thier client system performance is up-and-down.

And even if it did work well, there's just no real movement on the 4K content front either to make it worthwhile at this point ...

Solid Signal Blog - SHORTEST ARTICLE EVER: Will we see more DIRECTV 4K channels this year?

I wonder if 104 105 and 106 will still be what they are in a few years. It was just a few years ago that they were 3D. I don't think that people outside forums like these care about 4K too much, especially with the limited content. And the client system isn't worth it. I had a client before and will never again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts