Just went with Exede

LTE service around here is HEAVILY capped Verizon & AT&T wireless home broadband service. The message to rural customers is clear, if you want good quality internet service that you can afford, MOVE.

Reactions: Troch77
Yep!

We have two iphones we can set to hotspot mode and I have a newer VZW LTE hotspot for when we travel. I can connect to it at the house, with 3-4 bars of signal, and I only get like 9 down and 1-2 up.

Well, it figures, after holding onto the crap DSL for so long and then switching, Mediacom has now trenched our yards and laid cable LOL.

I can get 100mbps down with a 999gb cap for $49/month for the first year. As much as I like Exede, that would be 1/3 the price so I will be paying the $300 out fee ASAP.

I have satellite internet here also. No DSL, no cable. We do have a wireless ISP here, but there tower is too spoty with the trees. I get great 4G LTE cell coverage, but yeah right that would be crazy for home internet.
Anyway, when they get fiber here I will do the same. They are running it out. May be a year before they are finished and it is live. I have Hughesnet and really like it for what it is, but the fiber here will be $49.99 for 60Mbps down. The cap here is very large too, something I would never go over.

At&t announced a very long time ago they were getting out of the DSL business in many places, in fact where they can they are getting out of the wire line business. They tried to get others to take over, and Frontier did in some areas. Verizon ended all new subscribers to DSL where I am in Florida and it was harder and harder to get problems fixed. Wire line is on the verge of becoming a thing of the past for communications or at the least in some areas.

At&t announced a very long time ago they were getting out of the DSL business in many places, in fact where they can they are getting out of the wire line business. They tried to get others to take over, and Frontier did in some areas. Verizon ended all new subscribers to DSL where I am in Florida and it was harder and harder to get problems fixed. Wire line is on the verge of becoming a thing of the past for communications or at the least in some areas.

Verizon sold out to Frontier in fla

Well, I will soon pay my out with exede. With the money saved every month it will pay for the $$$ in 3 months, and then Ill be saving about $100/month. Mediacom finally trenched my street and set it up, and I now have 999gb's of cap.

F8qJPG.jpg

I was afraid I was gonna have to do the exede thing but came across a company called DSLExtreme who resells uverse. I'm in the boonies so I thought what the heck I will give them a try. Unlike uverse who could only do 6 megs down and a 300 gig cap DSLExtreme got me 12 meg down with no data caps. Deep in the boonies I will gladly take it.

My area is finally getting Exede Freedom for $100.00 per month(plus Boost 25 for $10.00) extra. AT&T's wireless home phone & internet is the same price for 50GB, phone, & warrenty plan. While neither plan is ideal compared to cable broadband, I'll take it, especially Exede Freedom.

My area is finally getting Exede Freedom for $100.00 per month(plus Boost 25 for $10.00) extra. AT&T's wireless home phone & internet is the same price for 50GB, phone, & warrenty plan. While neither plan is ideal compared to cable broadband, I'll take it, especially Exede Freedom.
50 GB under my AT&T plan is Over $400 a month.
Not sure how you get that for $100.
My 7GB shared plan with a 20% discount is $75 on the first line.

Or does the Home LTE get a bigger discount?

50 GB under my AT&T plan is Over $400 a month.
Not sure how you get that for $100.
My 7GB shared plan with a 20% discount is $75 on the first line.

Or does the Home LTE get a bigger discount?
You get it by itself, just the wireless internet box. You can get it for "free(the internet box)" with a two year contract, or you can pay $200.00 upfront for no contract. It's $80.00 for the 50GB, $20.00 for the phone service that you can't opt out of, & up to $10.00 for the warranty. You get this deal if you sign up by PC, laptop, or laptop connected by WiFi. If you try yp order by cellphone, it must assume that you want to add cellphone coverage too, & you end up with the price you quoted. If you have DirecTV & AT&T wireless together on one account(with no data limits), you have to order the wireless home phone & internet on a completely separate account.

You get it by itself, just the wireless internet box. You can get it for "free(the internet box)" with a two year contract, or you can pay $200.00 upfront for no contract. It's $80.00 for the 50GB, $20.00 for the phone service that you can't opt out of, & up to $10.00 for the warranty. You get this deal if you sign up by PC, laptop, or laptop connected by WiFi. If you try yp order by cellphone, it must assume that you want to add cellphone coverage too, & you end up with the price you quoted. If you have DirecTV & AT&T wireless together on one account(with no data limits), you have to order the wireless home phone & internet on a completely separate account.
Okay so its home LTE, we don't have that here.
Verizon offers it in my area but not AT&T.

I was back to considering satellite internet again as a back up to my cable service for working from home and I pulled the trigger with HughesNet. Install is in a few weeks. I visited a local retailer that sells and installs both HughesNet and Excede and I went there a few weeks ago to demo both services, performance was not as bad as I thought. I opted for HughesNet, but man Exede seems to have some very good plans (relatively speaking) depending on your area.

In my area it's

$60 for 10 GB
$100 for 18 GB
$150 for 30 GB

Which is absolutely insane. Typing in an NYC area zip code I get

$50 for 12 GB
$70 for 18 GB
$100 for 150 GB

With the option to upgrade to 25 Mbps for $10 extra. Honestly, given that this is satellite, and how traditionally stingy satellite has been with both speeds and data allowance, that is not bad at all.

HughesNet is

$50 for 5 GB anytime at 5/1
$60 for 10 GB anytime at 10/1
$80 for 15 GB anytime at 10/2
$130 for 20 GB anytime at 15/2

For me, it only makes perfect sense that I go with HughesNet PrimePlus $60 for 10 GB anytime at 10/1 plus the 50 GB late night data which should work fine if I'm trapped at home for a few days due to snow and the cable goes out. I wish the second best plan with the 2 Mb upload was $20 more then the basic service instead of $30. My employer will only reimburse me cost up to the standard level of service so I'll be paying $10 out of pocket, which I don't really care about. I maybe could justify an extra $20, but definitely not $30. If the better Exede plans were offered in my area, I most definitely could justify $20 out of pocket for 18 gigs with a 3Mb upload speed and I'd have Exede scheduled to be installed, not HughesNet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)