kansas city spotbeam "moving" question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trackside13

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Just made the switch from E to D. I live in central nebraska but had "moved" to kc when I was with E and it worked perfect for local hd. Ive been reading here that there is a chance it might not work with D-does anyone know if there is a way to find out for sure other than just calling up and doin it? My other option would be Denver but the timezones would be messed up. Thanks for any info

Trust me - just delete your post now and run away. You'll thank me later....

And if you don't know what I'm talking about, just check some of the other "moving" threads on this forum.

haha-yeah it looks like the question of whether or not I'm goin to hell is already determined by giving a false address to get some hd.

For the record, I'm one of those who doesn't agree with the concept of "moving," although I to TRY not to get all fire-and-brimstone about it... most of the time.

I think the problem you're going to run into with D* is the famous "spot beam." They only beam locals to the geographical area that's supposed to get them. If you're outside of it, which you probably are, it's not physically possible to get them.

Your only option is probably to try and get the NY or LA feed, if you're in an area that qualifies for DNS, but if you get HD locals from anywhere with D*, you won't qualify. Check here to see if you do....

For the record, I'm one of those who doesn't agree with the concept of "moving," although I to TRY not to get all fire-and-brimstone about it... most of the time.

I think the problem you're going to run into with D* is the famous "spot beam." They only beam locals to the geographical area that's supposed to get them. If you're outside of it, which you probably are, it's not physically possible to get them.

Your only option is probably to try and get the NY or LA feed, if you're in an area that qualifies for DNS, but if you get HD locals from anywhere with D*, you won't qualify. Check here to see if you do....

I'm confused as to what qualifies you for the waivers. I do receive SD locals for DirecTV, but not HD. I technically live close enough for OTA, but because the way my home is situated (blocked by a hill) I cannot receive a signal.

I already have a waiver for CBS and FOX. I received these back before the SD locals were offered, but I was recently denied for NBC and ABC.

not eligible for that or ota-I guess my ? is what's the furthest someone has tried and succeeded or failed

not eligible for that or ota-I guess my ? is what's the furthest someone has tried and succeeded or failed

I know of some folks around my parts that "moved" to New Orleans with D* to get the HD LiL. About 70 miles from here.

If you can find someone in that DMA with the HD LiL and can figure out what transponder it is on, then check the signal strength at your location. The only thing you won't know is if it is the correct spotbeam or a different one.

I have just read the long and sometimes humorous previous thread on moving. And I would like to say some things, but I want to say up front, it is possible I could wrong.

As I recall in 1998 or 1999, the problem with locals was people were receiving the ones NATIONALLY and that was causing concern for the local affiliates. I didn't have a dish back then, but with the absence of locals at the time I would assume the the percentage of dish subscribers in various cities who also subbed to these national networks were in the very high 90's. Why wouldn't it be? They had no other alternative that was convenient or cheaper. So, the percentage of people who subbed to a Dish service was probably also roughly the same percentage who DID NOT watch local affiliate programming for much if anything. Now, in 2007, it is still illegal obviously to have local affiliates from elsewhere and move, but the problem is probably not going to register real high on the FCC priority list because the overwhelming majority of people with locals offered to them, have theirs and truthfully, know nothing about "moving" and wouldn't dream of doing it anyway.

Where Dish's problems were was handing out the distant networks like they were candy to most anyone who would ask. That also goes back to the national channels issue.

For the people who "move" somewhere else it is mainly a local channel issue. No less illegal, but because it happens in such small numbers, I really don't think the FCC is going to go after it that hard when there are bigger issues going on in the world of telecommunications.

I could be wrong. I could be wrong about everything I just wrote, facts and all. But it seems like that is how I remember it happening anyway.

As far as me, I finally felt guilty enough to "move" back to where I live in Jacksonville. The only reason I "moved" away is most of the programming I watch is on CBS, and the local CBS affiliate here is horrible and unreliable.

I get my internet through cable and also subscribe to the basic channels so I already recieve my locals its just nice to be able to watch the office, sports, etc when it actually looks good-locals over the satellite are just terrible especially on the projector. Im gonna be about 200 miles away from both kc and denver though so Im prolly screwed. Are there any updated spotbeam maps that anyone knows of.

I don't know about any maps, but I'm guessing you're out of luck if you're 200 miles out... the spotbeams sometimes have problems reaching the outer edges of the areas they're supposed to cover.

As a previous post suggested, best thing to do is to see if you can find out what TP those locals are on and check the signal strengths on your box. Or just move and see if you can get the channels to come in. If not, move back.

It does seem strange that you can't qualify for DNS or a waiver if you're in an area with no locals...

not that this will help you but I am over 200 miles (air) from Cleveland and i am getting thier sd and hd locals. As others have mentioned you will have to find out others signal strengths on 103 or 99 (i am not sure which bird the kc locals are on) Generally those in KC will have 85+ on the tp that carry the locals. If you get a good signal on those you should be good to go. I am getting 83-88 on the cleveland spotbeams.

Z

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)