KBS World Channel 1993 Problem

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/packages/international/?Region=eastasia&lang=Korean#international

KBS World is still in the Tiger Pack.

$19.99/mo.

Channel Name Channel No.
ARIRANG TELEVISION (ARANG)
BTN (BTN)
GOLF CHANNEL (GOLF)
JSTV (JSTV)
KBS WORLD (KBS)
ONE WORLD SPORTS (ONE)

Have you actually recently tried to view KBS on Dish Network? I note that DirecTV has already updated their site regarding KBS being added to their Korean programming package. I read in another forum that it's also available to everyone with at least the Ultimate Pkg. See: http://www.directv.com/international/korean

not true, only Korean package

Interesting because Dish Network included KBS with all Tiers except the poorly advertised super basic tier (which may now be unavailable). The info that it was in the Ultimate and above tier came from a post in the DirecTV forum but not from an employee. So it was not exactly from an unimpeachable source. Since I have both the Korean package AND the Ultimate tier, I cannot tell if I would have gotten KBS without the K-Pack. BTW, I am dropping Dish Network since I do need it for KBS.

Interesting because Dish Network included KBS with all Tiers except the poorly advertised super basic tier (which may now be unavailable). The info that it was in the Ultimate and above tier came from a post in the DirecTV forum but not from an employee. So it was not exactly from an unimpeachable source. Since I have both the Korean package AND the Ultimate tier, I cannot tell if I would have gotten KBS without the K-Pack. BTW, I am dropping Dish Network since I do need it for KBS.

Just one clarification - KBS World when it was on Dish was available on AT120 and above, not the packages below. The reason I know this (it's been wrong on their website) is because just a little more than a month ago I downgraded from AT250 to Dish America and lost KBS World. I called a rep and was informed that the website was wrong and that it was only on AT120 and above.

Little did I know that just a month later it was going to be gone. The rep did waive my $5 programming change fee since I went from AT250 to Dish America to AT120 in the same day. Anyway, like you I will drop Dish... I already have Directv so it was a seamless switchover and now it's easy to get to KBS along with the other channels in the KoreanDirect package by just pushing channel up from MBC. All good now until the contracts are up again (which I hope for the other networks, not for at least a little bit).

It sounds like you and I had/have a similar setup.. Had both Directv and Dish - kept Dish for KBS World. lol

kbs world family

we have been with dish for over 9 years (directv prior to that) and with a house full of Korean females kbs world is a necessity. last Saturday I called and canceled dish to follow kbs to directv. dish offered some discounts and were obviously not used to dealing with a non-irate consumer, they just can't meet our needs. directv had an installer out the next day. if only things could be that simple... the installer didn't have a clue although according to him he was "the best", the one that "got all the difficult installations", and the one they called on to deal with "problem customers". Y'all know that guy, right? so he didn't know that to get the international package required an additional dish and in trying to cover his mistakes/ignorance the installation is now going on for more than 3 days. We do have signal and I am impressed with an obvious improvement in picture quality - I really didn't expect that. we're supposed to get an eta on the necessary equipment to complete the installation tomorrow. I am patient and wasn't too bothered by the guy's BS, but today when he tried to impose a $100 fee I blew a gasket. He offered to make it $80 since he could tell I was upset - directv and the two supervisors above him took care of the"fee"... and we're still waiting
not looking for advice, just relating my experience, other than Korean programming and picture quality I don't believe there's much difference between the two companies.

I know what you mean - this really just ended up with being that Dish not being able to provide what you need - so no amount of discount could keep you around. I've always generally have had positive experiences with the people I spoke to there, but in the end what can you do? KBS was the last straw for I decided to keep Dish around for KBS after they no longer carried my regional sports networks, but without that - I don't have anything else to warrant it. Oh well, who knows how these things end up. In a few years maybe all these networks go back to Dish.... then I'll be in a quandary having to figure it all out again! lol

we have been with dish for over 9 years (directv prior to that) and with a house full of Korean females kbs world is a necessity. last Saturday I called and canceled dish to follow kbs to directv. dish offered some discounts and were obviously not used to dealing with a non-irate consumer, they just can't meet our needs. directv had an installer out the next day. if only things could be that simple... the installer didn't have a clue although according to him he was "the best", the one that "got all the difficult installations", and the one they called on to deal with "problem customers". Y'all know that guy, right? so he didn't know that to get the international package required an additional dish and in trying to cover his mistakes/ignorance the installation is now going on for more than 3 days. We do have signal and I am impressed with an obvious improvement in picture quality - I really didn't expect that. we're supposed to get an eta on the necessary equipment to complete the installation tomorrow. I am patient and wasn't too bothered by the guy's BS, but today when he tried to impose a $100 fee I blew a gasket. He offered to make it $80 since he could tell I was upset - directv and the two supervisors above him took care of the"fee"... and we're still waiting
not looking for advice, just relating my experience, other than Korean programming and picture quality I don't believe there's much difference between the two companies.

When I signed up for DirecTV I had all kinds of problems getting someone to install the international dish. It was like it had never been done before. No apologies from DTV when I finally got someone from management to make arrangements. BTW
Arirang TV, the only decent Korean channel Dish has IMHO, is available free by streaming if you have a Roku. You will have to activate the private channel Nowhere TV to get it but there is no cost.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts