KBS World coming to Directv August 10 in the KoreanDirect Package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Visitor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
The Big Apple
I hadn't been paying attention that Directv is about to add KBS World to the KoreanDirect package. Previously it was available only on E* (and cable) and was my sole reason for still keeping a sub to E*. (Crazy, I know, but I needed it. Korean dramas are a big thing here.) I'm not sure if it's going to continue to stay on E* as well, but this move essentially removes the reason why I kept E* around (having subbed 11 years now) for so long even after joining Directv. In other words, I get to save an awful lot of money now that I no longer need E*.

I'm pretty sure this is uninteresting but I needed to shout my happiness over saving money from no longer having to have 2 satellite providers simultaneously. Thanks Directv.. :) This really has neutered E* Korean programming offerings... Directv now has all the major Korean networks... SBS, MBC, KBS.

KBS World will be on channel 2082 and some other channels in the KoreanDirect package are being moved.

From the website:

New channel numbers for Korean programming
Starting August 10, you'll find the following Korean TV channels at new channels numbers.

YTN: Ch.2083
EBS: Ch. 2087
National Geographic Channel Korea: Ch. 2090
CTS: Ch. 2092
Radio Korea: 2093

There will be NO interruptions to your programming. And your DVR and Favorite Channels settings should not be affected. Thank you for the continued opportunity to bring you the best in Korean TV entertainment.

KBS World Removed from Dish

A friend of ours has Dish Network and KBS World was removed. She's really PO'd and going to switch to DTV. I told her to use me as a referral before making any deals. :) I'm not sure why it was dropped since it was a PI channel and nearly everyone got it even if not subscribed to the Korea package. It would be real interesting to know the reason it was switched to DTV. IF it is still a PI channel, anyone with the international DTV dish should be able to get it even if they do not subscribe to the DTV Korean package. There will be a flood of Koreans switching to DTV over this as the other channels in DISH's Korean package are of little interest to most Korean programming watchers.

You do know it requires a minimum basic package to get the Korean channel, go to the Directv website for pricing info.

Its either Basic Choice for $15.99 or Preferred Choice for $19.99 for 12 months with free premium channels for 3 months promotion price apart from the $26.99 KoreanDirect package. Call 1-800-560-4388.

A friend of ours has Dish Network and KBS World was removed. She's really PO'd and going to switch to DTV. I told her to use me as a referral before making any deals. :) I'm not sure why it was dropped since it was a PI channel and nearly everyone got it even if not subscribed to the Korea package. It would be real interesting to know the reason it was switched to DTV. IF it is still a PI channel, anyone with the international DTV dish should be able to get it even if they do not subscribe to the DTV Korean package. There will be a flood of Koreans switching to DTV over this as the other channels in DISH's Korean package are of little interest to most Korean programming watchers.

I really found it interesting too. Even though it wasn't really a part of Dish's Korean package, it was really the only Korean channel they had that was worth watching... I don't count Arirang since that's primarily an English channel and it's available online. I had to subscribe to AT120 to get it. Interesting - this year Directv lost the Cantonese channels to Dish and now Directv took the last remaining major Korean network from Dish. I agree - if you want Korean programming, I have to imagine everyone is going to go to Directv now. Dueling Asian programming. lol

If you live in LA, SF, it is free on cable or OTA. Seattle, you can pay for it. Some cities carry limited KBS shows OTA station. Since KBS is no longer free, the OTA station in SF might be gone soon. LA still exist since MBC has a free OTA station airing programs 3-4 months old and SBS airs 3 hours of limited programming.

I really found it interesting too. Even though it wasn't really a part of Dish's Korean package, it was really the only Korean channel they had that was worth watching... I don't count Arirang since that's primarily an English channel and it's available online. I had to subscribe to AT120 to get it. Interesting - this year Directv lost the Cantonese channels to Dish and now Directv took the last remaining major Korean network from Dish. I agree - if you want Korean programming, I have to imagine everyone is going to go to Directv now. Dueling Asian programming. lol

Concur with comment about Arirang. Arirang TV, the only decent Korean channel Dish has IMHO, is available free by streaming if you have a Roku. You will have to activate the private channel "Nowhere TV" to get it, but there is no cost. However, the aspect ration is 3:4 rather than the preferred 9:16 but PQ is pretty good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts