KBS World...GONE

sbsi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
What happen to KBS World, the korean station with English sub?

I was watching the station this morning until 11:00AM and it disappear.

I search the entire TV guide and no KBS World on any of the channel lineup.

I don't think you need a new Dish, call Dish or go to online chat and explain the situation, they should come and re-point your 148 dish to 61.5 for free. 148 is becoming defunct anyways.

i just called customer service and they gave me two options.....

1-Dish 500+ for free if I agree to a 24 month commitment
2-Pay Dish 500+ for $200+

but, they never offer something "free" to me.

i even told them this is the station i watch every day and reason why i keep dish network (unless it moves to Direct TV or gone for good).

will this cost cheaper if I buy the dish protection plan???

how long will this station be on 61.5 (what do you think) if i tell them to move the angle?

You could get the DHPP and call them to re point it for $29... or tell them your having signal issues and they'll come out for free, then tell the tech just to point at 61.5.

if they throw in a DISH 1000 instead of DISH 500+, i might agree.

any other suggestions?????

btw, what dish does the new customer get Dish 500, 500+, 1000, 100+ (either one) if they subscribe to the packages???

New customers in the east get the Eastern Arc (61.5,72,77), and in the west they get Western Arc (110,119,129). Now if you're wondering what I have, I have the Eastern Arc and the 1000+ :D, my setup includes 61.5,77,110,118,119. I was originally supposed to get the 500+, when the installer came out, I talked him into making it a 1000+.

I am going to call customer service and see can they throw in a 1000+. I worry if get a 500+, what happens when Dish Network decides to switch signals again in 6 months.

When those installers come to replace the dish, do you think they can fix one other problem. One of my tvs, the picture has too many pixals. When the loudsy installer fix my dish years years ago, he done a very bad job installing that tv.

Dish will only upgrade for FREE if the channels you subscribe to, as in pay for--NOT Public Interest Channels, and KBS is ALSO considered one of Dish's freebie public interest channels-- if that sub was already a subscriber to internationals that will be migrated to a new slot.

For example, I have been a sub of TV5 for years. Dish was moving TV5 from 148 to 118.7. So, Dish provided all equipment and labor with NO ADDITIONAL COMMITMENT so that I could continue to receive all the same services across all my STB's as I did at the time they sent out my FREE upgrade notice. I had a Dish 500 for 110, 119; a Dish 500 for 129; and a Dish 500 looking at 148. They changed all that out for a Dish 1000Plus with all new LNBF's and cables, almost an entirely fresh install . If necessary they will upgrade STB's--WHATEVER IT TAKES to provide you with the same services at the time you are approved for the upgrade on all your STB's at ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE AND NO ADDITIONAL COMMITMENTS--IF you are already paying for that channel, even if that channel is not an international.

I believe your problem is that you were not a subscriber (paying subscriber) to any of the internationals, otherwise you would have been notified and Dish would have made the upgrade for free. Just because you had access to an open (meaning all subs can view it, no matter what tier) "Public Service" channel, KBS, does not qualify you for the free upgrade.

So, in your case it is correct that the 2 options provided by Dish are proper (otherwise it would have come up on the computer that you are an international sub who does qualify for the free upgrade). It is too late to subscribe to any internationals still left at 148 (less than 10 left, I think) as Dish stopped installing internationals for 148 over a year ago and 118.7 is the only international install they make, now, for quite some time, now. Sorry, it will cost you money. But if you are a DYIer you could get the parts together and save some money and install yourself.

Please keep in mind that the internationals (and LIL at this slot) satellite at 118.7 is an FSS Ku band satellite, NOT a DBS satellite. Therefore, none of the legacy or DishPro LNBF's can receive this sat. Dish uses a special combination LNBF that receives both 119 and 118.7 in one LNBF. Also, a larger Dish in needed to receive 118.7 because as a FSS Ku sat, it operates at a lower power than DBS and a larger dish is needed to get sufficient signal strength to receive the channels on that sat.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution.

most likely i will take the 24 month agreement for them to install what they offer is DISH 500+. i asked them how come it is not DISH 1000+ and they told me I don't need 129 signal stations. i request for a higher dish just incase dish decides to move this station to 129 in 6 months.

for some reason, dish cannot answer the following questions..

i told them the two current dish i have is install high high. for the new dish, can they install it to a lower position (if that lower position) can get the signal?? as you know, if i cancel one day, they request the lnbs and other stuff. and, negociating with some loudsy and unlucky customer service staffs can be difficult like i did a few minutes ago (who refuse to read what has already been written on my account and take longer time to answer the question).

Qualifying programming for KBS world includes 100 pack and up, and latino and up. It didn't require an international sub other than it is on 61.5, 118, 121, and formerly at 148.

Qualifying programming for KBS world includes 100 pack and up, and latino and up. It didn't require an international sub other than it is on 61.5, 118, 121, and formerly at 148.

Correct, but keep in mind that Dish has put KBS in the same status at its "Public Access" channels, so access to this channel is not provided as a free upgrade because of migration from the wings. Now, if someone wants to subscribe to the Korean channels, they need to look at 118.7, and they are going to get KBS, anyway, so that completes the Korean channels. Anybody looking at 118.7 can receive KBS, as do I, as Dish considers it one of its freebie "Public Interest" type channels.

Last edited:
most likely i will take the 24 month agreement for them to install what they offer is DISH 500+. i asked them how come it is not DISH 1000+ and they told me I don't need 129 signal stations. i request for a higher dish just incase dish decides to move this station to 129 in 6 months.

for some reason, dish cannot answer the following questions..

i told them the two current dish i have is install high high. for the new dish, can they install it to a lower position (if that lower position) can get the signal?? as you know, if i cancel one day, they request the lnbs and other stuff. and, negociating with some loudsy and unlucky customer service staffs can be difficult like i did a few minutes ago (who refuse to read what has already been written on my account and take longer time to answer the question).

Dish won't be moving KBS for a really looonnnggg time. 118.7 is the new home for all internationals and will be for years.

129 is primarily for High Definition services, and since you are not an HD subscriber, you don't need to receive 129. Now, may be a good time for you to upgrade to HD since you have to make a commitment, anyway. Otherwise, you'll have to wait at least a year after this one upgrade.

Dish, and just about anyone else out there, will only upgrade for the services that you need or will subscribe to. They aren't going to increase their cost of the upgrade to an additional satellite that you don't need to see if you aren't going to subscribe to services on that sat.

For HD, I wait until more HD channels or almost all the cable network station convert into HD. That is the time I will consider getting HD.

I even look at the international packages, but no deals going on right now where I subscribe and they will fix something at a low cost or possibly, free.

A while ago, there was an offer for International channels where they will set up a new dish for free with no commitment. Not sure was this on Dish Network website or some ad on a spanish newspaper.

Dish won't be moving KBS for a really looonnnggg time. 118.7 is the new home for all internationals and will be for years.

129 is primarily for High Definition services, and since you are not an HD subscriber, you don't need to receive 129. Now, may be a good time for you to upgrade to HD since you have to make a commitment, anyway. Otherwise, you'll have to wait at least a year after this one upgrade.

Dish, and just about anyone else out there, will only upgrade for the services that you need or will subscribe to. They aren't going to increase their cost of the upgrade to an additional satellite that you don't need to see if you aren't going to subscribe to services on that sat.

None of those other Korean stations look appealing. I know someone who subscribes to the Chinese packages and tell me it is not worth $30. They keep repeating the old programming over and over. Every week, every month, then every other or few months.....

I already got the MBC station from Digital.

My friend got the SBS channels for free on Direct TV for atleast 1-2 years until recently, Direct took it away. Not sure was this a mistake or they did it on purpose. SBS use to be on Dish Network back in 2003/2004 and they took it away. That is when KBS became a free station.

Correct, but keep in mind that Dish has put KBS in the same status at its "Public Access" channels, so access to this channel is not provided as a free upgrade because of migration from the wings. Now, if someone wants to subscribe to the Korean channels, they need to look at 118.7, and they are going to get KBS, anyway, so that completes the Korean channels. Anybody looking at 118.7 can receive KBS, as do I, as Dish considers it one of its freebie "Public Interest" type channels.

Some local stations still not on HD and waiting for some Digital stations added onto the local lineup.