KBS World Launching as PI Channel

What is interesting is that Dish magazine lists KBS at 704/652, I've got it at 9850 (on 121). Seoul 1945 (which I have been watching lately) is one of the best series on TV. I'd be annoyed if it were taken from 121 without being added to 61.5 I believe that there is an HD version of KBS, maybe Dish is waiting to add that as a national HD channel (just kidding).

Also interesting, the Dish version of the channel switches between KBS America logo and the KBS world one.

I do know that there was an agreement in place to add KBS to more subscribers, but I don't know which group of subscribers. I wrote KBS but have not heard anything. Doesn't Dish need to provide PIs on each of its satellites and aren't they behind in their numbers?

I still think that Dish should put together a package of public stations with substantial English content from around the world. I'd certainly pay for such a package if it were reasonably priced.

Isn't it terrific Charlie can manage to get all these foreign channels up but can't seem to find the will or the way to finish getting the rest of the local network affiliates up linked. I realize that 90 some percent of the USA has the locals, but there are still thousands of us rural subscribers that have not had their local channels loaded up yet and with the loss of DNS two weeks away, I'm starting to get pissed.

minnow said:
Isn't it terrific Charlie can manage to get all these foreign channels up but can't seem to find the will or the way to finish getting the rest of the local network affiliates up linked. I realize that 90 some percent of the USA has the locals, but there are still thousands of us rural subscribers that have not had their local channels loaded up yet and with the loss of DNS two weeks away, I'm starting to get pissed.

DISH says that they have most of the stations in agreement to provide carriage should they get the injunction to pull the plug on DNS as they qualify subs now. So, with the exception of FOX not reaching an agreement I think, you might be able to continue to get DNS stations. Some customers will lose them completely.

As to this topic of free KBS, I think Scott was fed some wrong information. That email was obviously censored throughout E* that it didn't even make it to the Press Releases or other departments that I have contacts with (contacts I've built when they lost that SBS channel). When KBS was made free on the SuperDISH, there was a press release from KBS and from DISH, albeit DISH's came many months late.

I noticed that the current channel card list KBS as free to those with qualifying programming and a Dish 500+ or 1000+, does it mean it is free on 118?

I can confirm that I get it on 121...

I get KBS off of 121 (Superdish) on 9850 with my AT120 subscription. I had the Dish 500 and I specifically upgraded to the superdish so I could get KBS and drop the $24.99/MOnth Korean package which is a complete ripoff with SBS gone.

I have not gotten confirmation from anyone that it is available as a "free" PI off of any other bird. In fact... this is causing me a great deal of grief. My HD upgrade is on hold indefinately since there are no DP44 switches available in the Northeast (so says Dish). I need the DP44 since I need to point to 110, 119, 61.5 AND 121. Had I been able to get KBS off of 61.5 as a PI channel... I'd be watching HD right now...

BTW... KBS World does have some excellent programming and almost all of it is subtitled. My neighbor who is not Korean was addicted last year to the historical dram "The immortal Yi Soon Shin". Apparently he wasn't the only one.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/07/the_immortal_yi.html

Seoul 1945 is fun to watch but twists the facts in such a lopsided manner it's hard to take serious.

Last edited:
I missed the first of the two shows this week (I was watching the TVGC channel:) ).

Last week they tied the gal in prison up to a telephone pole to shoot her. Does anybody know if they shot her? Or maybe her hero got to the prison in time?

Scott Greczkowski said:
It is a PI channel, its just on 61.5 or 148. Don't know why and cant get an answer.

I have 61.5 and 148 and it is not in my channel listing. Maybe I should swing one of those dishes to 121. Is there anything else I would gain by doing that?

Or, better yet, I have found a few few free dish network dishes, I could just put up a fourth dish. But then I don't know what I would need for switches or if that is even possible (to have four dishes).

I don't really ever watch CBS-W HD but I have it anyway since it was free and the installer put up a dish on 61.5 and 148 (apparently he hasn't done many HD installs).

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is a PI on 118. I'd like to change out my 121 Dish for a 500+ if it is going free on 118, though I'd prefer that it be added to 61.5.

Who would have thought that a thread about Korean public television would get almost 1800 views?

It's PI on 118.7 as well as on 121. No word on when the PI version on 121 will cease to exist. You can read the uplink reports from maybe 3 weeks back that will tell you that Ch. 9850 on 118.7 went live.

AdamGott said:
I have 61.5 and 148 and it is not in my channel listing. Maybe I should swing one of those dishes to 121. Is there anything else I would gain by doing that?

Or, better yet, I have found a few few free dish network dishes, I could just put up a fourth dish. But then I don't know what I would need for switches or if that is even possible (to have four dishes).

I don't really ever watch CBS-W HD but I have it anyway since it was free and the installer put up a dish on 61.5 and 148 (apparently he hasn't done many HD installs).

So far as I can tell... 121 is primarily the internationals... I got the superdish 121 just so I could get KBS America for "free"... no other reason.

Update:

KBS World is now on the wings on 61.5/148! Tune to Ch. 652 to see for yourself.

Scott, your contact was late in delivering KBS but hey, better late than never! I didn't hear anything from my contacts that KBS was going to be made available to subs today. I better have a chat with that person tomorrow. :D

Well this information has certainly made one member of my family happy this morning, now if they would just provide a little more detailed information in the program guide as to actual program content it would be perfect.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)