Keep getting the black screen, and its getting old!

gb387

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
On my single room standard receiver I frequently (at least twice a week) get the black screen, I click guide and select another channel... still the black screen. So I hold the power button down and reset the receiver as you all know it takes a little time but it will 'boot' back up and function normally. Now I have exchanged receivers and I still have the same problem, I always turn the receiver off at night and I continue to have this problem continually. You know.... just sit down after a long day at work to watch TV and no picture, its starting to get a little old!

Any suggestions? Is this problem that common?

I have no trouble what so ever with my vip211 receiver.

"On my single room standard receiver I frequently (at least twice a week) get the black screen, I click guide and select another channel... still the black screen. So I hold the power button down and reset the receiver as you all know it takes a little time but it will 'boot' back up and function normally. Now I have exchanged receivers and I still have the same problem, I always turn the receiver off at night and I continue to have this problem continually. You know.... just sit down after a long day at work to watch TV and no picture, its starting to get a little old!

Any suggestions? Is this problem that common?"

What receiver model? If it's on a 311, yes it's common at least for me. I had 5 311s when I initially signed up with E* and all of them did the same thing you're describing. I've been slowly replacing all of them but the one 311 left, keeps doing it.

My 622 occasionally does exactly the same thing. I can't say how common it is but I can say that mine does it too.

My 510 does this since software version 3.36. Then two months ago, 3.69 made it a lot worse. Sometimes does it three times in an evening.
Black screen with program banners at the top- silence.
I hear they're working on it
I'm waiting it out because it seems a replacement receiver will get the same software problem.
I just wish it would reset from the remote!

I've had the same problem twice now since yesterday. I have the 622 4.05 release. I hear sound, no picture, unless you try PIP. You can see the channel you are stuck on in the PIP screen, but PIP swap doesn't work.
I called tech support and the CSR told me this has been reported as a compatibility problem with HDMI. Component connections are not supposed to have this problem. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Appears to be..

I've had the same problem twice now since yesterday. I have the 622 4.05 release. I hear sound, no picture, unless you try PIP. You can see the channel you are stuck on in the PIP screen, but PIP swap doesn't work.
I called tech support and the CSR told me this has been reported as a compatibility problem with HDMI. Component connections are not supposed to have this problem. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

There appears to be two different problems as it pertains to the BSOD (black screen of death). One is the HDMI problem and the other one is unknown to date. Personally I believe it is a S/W problem. I have been having the problem off and on and to varying degrees. I took my 622 off HDMI and switched it to component to see if it would correct the problem. But it did not:(. The problem really accelerated after the 4.05 release and I was getting them daily almost instead of once a week prior. Now with release 4.09 I haven't had any to date but it is surely to early to tell as it's only been since this past wednesday if I remember rightly.. Gerry

What receiver model? If it's on a 311, yes it's common at least for me. I had 5 311s when I initially signed up with E* and all of them did the same thing you're describing. I've been slowly replacing all of them but the one 311 left, keeps doing it.

Yes it is the 311... not sure on the other equipment but all is only about 8-9 months old.

All I know I sure hope the black screen gets fixed very soon!

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it is the 311... not sure on the other equipment but all is only about 8-9 months old.

All I know I sure hope the black screen gets fixed very soon!

Thanks for the replies.

It has to be a software issue and all we can do is wait until Engineering fixes it. I replaced lnbs, cables, connectors, switches, ground blocks, you name it, I replaced everything and the 311s kept doing it. I replaced the 311s with other models and the problem went away.

All I can say is don't bother troubleshooting, you'll just waste your time.

I've seen it discussed around the forums and I have had it on my H3s. Which seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

Running latest FW = H306 on both H3s.

I thought Moderators did spring cleaning and got rid of old threads!!
can'ttakeitanymoregiphy.gif
can'ttakeitanymoregiphy.gif

Reactions: Howard Simmons