Kiffin to USC!!!!

I would go after Kevin Sumlin. I watched Houston play several times this year and was impressed. He just does not have the defensive personal. He would have it at Tennessee.

Edit: Just read Sumlin signed an extension yesterday. Oh well.

Another thought. Suck it up, let Brown take over for one year and then go after a big splash.
Bob Stoops at OU would love to have Kevin Sumlin back. Sumlin will go on to bigger and better things soon enough.

A good job? he is 17-20 in his three seasons with 1 bowl appearance. I would hardly call that good. I'm very unimpressed with this guy.

He is good coach and will put a bandaid on a very big cut. He will do fine. Once UT fans emotion settle down, you will feel the same.

Famous coaching dad?
Derek Dooley - check (Vince Dooley)
Lane Kiffin - check (Monte Kiffin)

Famous coaching mentor?
Derek Dooley - check (Nick Saban)
Lane Kiffin - check (Pete Caroll)

Losing head coaching record?
Derek Dooley - check
Lane Kiffin - check

Son with a name tied to Tennessee?
Derek Dooley - check (Peyton)
Lane Kiffin - check (Knox)

This is looking suspiciously like the last hire.

ESPN reporting that it is not a done deal..........yet.

Sumlin still in the mix.

Both are good but I think Sumlin would be better for a faster start because of the offense IMO.

Here is the Tennessee press room before Kiffin came in to do his "press conference" on why he was leaving. He requested nothing to be broadcasted live and only wanted 30 seconds of video that could be played later. This video is of the press trying to decide whether or not they wanted to agree to the terms.

[youtube]7dbNBd4S8II[/youtube]

Charles Barkley on Lane Kiffin: "He has to have pictures of someone having sex with a monkey. He's had three really good jobs and did not deserve any of the three. He has to have pictures of someone having sex with a monkey, there's no doubt in my mind." ...

http://www.sportsnipe.com/main_sport...on-kiffin.html

:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha

Yep. He said it. LOL

Charles was on our local sports talk show and said it. When I was listening to it I wasn't sure where he was going with it. LOL

Charles Barkley on Lane Kiffin: "He has to have pictures of someone having sex with a monkey. He's had three really good jobs and did not deserve any of the three. He has to have pictures of someone having sex with a monkey, there's no doubt in my mind." ...

http://www.sportsnipe.com/main_sport...on-kiffin.html

:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha

Barkley is a character. That is one of the funnier quotes I've heard in a long time. Side story - I was in the MGM Grand during the 99 NCAA Football National Championship Game and Barkley was at the table right next to my group. He had some serious hotties there with him and spent A LOT of money. Was a great time.

weaselkiffinsig.jpg

Not really any different than any other place that looses a coach to another team before his contract is up.
I think it is. You don't often see a coach do something like this after only a year into his contract. He made a respectful school seem like his pawn, whether he planned it or not. His lack of class handling this makes all others who left schools after several years for better positions seem respectful.

Regardless, Tennessee is much better off with Dooley, who isn't as bad a choice as some of you have said. Here's a good article by an SEC reporter for LSU that sheds a nice little light on the guy....

TigerRag - GUILBEAU: Behind the SEC scenes

Enter Derek Dooley, alias Gary Cooper, from the small town of Ruston. He was only 17-20 at Louisiana Tech, but he stayed for three seasons - or 36 months as Kiffin would say - and did the heavy lifting that Lane’s Pa seems to always do for him. He was also athletic director. Would you give Kiffin the keys to your athletic department? What’s the record for NCAA violations for one man?

Dooley has lived off his father Vince Dooley - the classy and successful Georgia coach from 1961 through 1986 - somewhat. The name does help, but Derek does not bring him along on the job interview. How hot a hire would Lane Kiffin had been to Tennessee a year ago without Pa - the NFL defensive guru - coming along for the ride?

Dooley has done his time and paid his dues. Kiffin never really has. Even during his offensive coordinator tutelage at USC, there were so many good coaches and players around he never had to do any heavy lifting.

...Kiffin also could not have handled working for Saban. Dooley’s “tour of duty,” which is how Jimbo Fisher described his Saban time, at Camp Saban was seven years - the longest consecutive run by any assistant Saban has ever had. Dooley should have gotten an assistant coach of the year award for that alone...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)