Kiffin to USC!!!!

Hasn't left yet. There is a clown at LSU.:D
Hopefully he will fill the little clown car with better staff this off season...and maybe get him one of those giant clown clocks to help him manage the end of games. ;) :D

Miles might be a clown to some, but he's proving to be much more committed and loyal than Lane Kiffin. Comes with age and experience.

I'm still puzzled as to what the big draw to Lane Kiffin is.....it's not like he has a sparkling resume.

I'm wondering the same.

Plus, I don't get why Vols fans are rioting over a coach who won 7 games?! Seriously?

It's like a girlfriend that breaks up with you. But you wanted to end it long time ago. Still hurts.

I don't blame Lane Kiffin for leaving. If someone offered me my dream job, I'd be out the door too. I don't blame Tennessee fans for being upset. Some recruiting services had the 2010 class in the top 3 in the nation and four have already decommitted. I do blame Mike Hamilton for trying to make a hire that may or may not work out and selling the Tennessee faithful on it. He's been living on his Bruce Pearl success for way too long. I also blame Orgeron for calling Tennessee mid-term enrollees and telling them not to go to class and come to USC instead. If this situation hasn't proven that college football is the NFL minor leagues, I don't know what will.

I don't blame Lane Kiffin for leaving. If someone offered me my dream job, I'd be out the door too. I don't blame Tennessee fans for being upset. Some recruiting services had the 2010 class in the top 3 in the nation and four have already decommitted. I do blame Mike Hamilton for trying to make a hire that may or may not work out and selling the Tennessee faithful on it. He's been living on his Bruce Pearl success for way too long. I also blame Orgeron for calling Tennessee mid-term enrollees and telling them not to go to class and come to USC instead. If this situation hasn't proven that college football is the NFL minor leagues, I don't know what will.

good points!

I'm wondering the same.

Plus, I don't get why Vols fans are rioting over a coach who won 7 games?! Seriously?

It really isn't the 7 games that people are pissed about. It is the fact that we had a top 10 recruiting class going and things "felt" like they were going in the right direction. Now it is past the normal time of coaching changes so basically everyone that wants to move has moved. Our options are VERY limited. We have already lost 4 4 star recruits for this year and a top recruit for next year as well. It also has to do with the statements he made about building a program and just getting started. I guess what I'm saying is it really doesn't have much to do with the person, it has to do with the way it all went down.

There was no riot, there were just a bunch of students that found a reason to get out. No arrests and all the comments from the cops said the crowd was pretty well behaved.

...I do blame Mike Hamilton for trying to make a hire that may or may not work out and selling the Tennessee faithful on it...
Excellent point. I know filling a coaching vacancy quickly is important as far as recruiting goes, but it can set you back even further if it's a bad hire. Other than having USC linked to his name (an overrated connection it turns out), I never understood what sold Hamilton on someone as risky as Kiffin. Tennessee needs to regroup and make a good decision for their next coach. If it means biting the bullet the next couple of seasons, so be it.

... I guess what I'm saying is it really doesn't have much to do with the person, it has to do with the way it all went down...

:confused: People's poor, unethical decisions are what made things go down the way they did, didn't they?

Oh well, I'm done ventin' about this. Hopefully the Vols will have the program back to where they want it, and soon (LSU starts a home and home with them next season, so I won't mind if it takes a couple of years ;)).

All given at least 3 years, like I said, but that's beside the point. Who were the better people in your eyes after the way all this went down? The coaches. They fulfilled their commitments and stayed loyal to the job and the players. Much different people than Lane Kiffen. Again, proving my point of today's "me first" mentality.

I know some of you on here are of this generation, and I will never get through to you. I'm not however, and I think it's a shame what it's doing to sports today. Too much greed and selfishness, and not enough sportsmanship. Just my opinion.
Why blame football coaches for this behavior and the message it sends? I remember a Senator from Illinois that was in the Senate for all of 10 mins before he decided to run for President. What about his commitment to serve out his 6 year term?

DID you guys hear what this books store is doing with a bunch of Kiffin in Tennessee? IF you bought one, you can trade it in for another T-shirt get a 25% discount(or something like that) and they will send to Haiti....

I had never heard of this guy until this thread was started, but I recently read that under his contract, he had the option of buying himself out after just one year for $800,000, which he could pay in installments over 36 months, whereas if the school had fired him for other than cause, then he was going to get millions.

What does that tell me? That Tennessee took him knowing that he was not committing to them. I have no sympathy to the school administration, but the fall guys in this might be the students who picked Tennesse last year not realizing that he was basically being rented to stop the bleeding of Tennessee's football program.

From what I have read, he might be NCAA football's equivalent of John Calipari. That may have served Tennessee well. At UMass, they got a new stadium built that they might not have gotten if Coach Cal hadn't pumped up their program. I doubt that many administrators at UMass could honestly say that if they had it to do over again, that they would like to have passed on Calipari as head coach. I suspect that the same can be said of Kiffin at Tennessee.

Last edited:
ESPN is reporting that Air Force coach Troy Calhoun has called a team meeting this afternoon in Colorado Springs. Could Troy be the next coach at Tennessee?

Looks like the next coach is going to be Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun. Calhoun has called a meeting with his team at 5:50 this afternoon. Not a very big "splash" of a hire, but who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)