Random Thoughts (10,000th Post!)

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I was going to wait until after the Divisional Playoff Round to post this.

We haven't had Random Thoughts in a while- plus, it's my 1000th post on here (but I still have some catching up to do with others).

1. The Jets-Chargers game was an absolute shocker for me in terms of how unlikely an upset this was. The last time I was this stunned about a non-Super Bowl playoff game- Jaguars 30, Broncos 27 in January 1997.

2. The Jets a win from the Super Bowl, Ohio State football ending their BCS woes (and the conference's as well), their basketball team beating a high-ranked Purdue team- Sandra's teams have been en fuego since she went to Cabo! I call this "The Reverse Tony Romo Situation." Going to Cabo didn't end well for him a few years back- but it sure has for Sandy so far.

3. After seeing all the key missed field goals these playoffs, I now understand why Adam Vinatieri was so crucial to the Patriots during their Super Bowl runs.

4. Brett Favre, that magnificent graybeard, is getting stronger down the stretch. He played well in the Bears' Monday Night game (defense let them down) and the regular-season finale against the Giants. Today- 4 touchdowns (an Al Bundy, as I like to call it).

5. The Saints-Cardinals game reminded me of the 2008 Texas Tech-Oklahoma two prolific offenses in a highly anticipated game, but turned out to be very lopsided.

6. Storylines for next week's conference title games- Saints-Vikings in the "Something has to Give game" where a team will make their first Super Bowl appearance ever or their first since 1977.

7. In the AFC- the now-infamous week 16 game (that helped the Jets get into the playoffs, where they have wreaked havoc) will be brought up ad nauseum. Also- will a team that "Defense Wins Championshipss" believers continue the trend or will the mold be broken?

8. After Arizona made it to the title game last year with a 9-7 record, I'm not shocked that history might repeats itself. (The team they beat to get there, Philly, was 9-6-1.)

9. The Chargers are starting to remind me of the Atlanta Braves of the 1990s.

10. Rex Ryan has walked the walk. This guy has done in one season that Mangini and Herman Edwards couldn't in 8 combined.

11. This is the first time the Jets won twice in the same postseason since 1982 (I know they reached an AFC Title game under Bill Parcells, but they were a #2 seed and had a first-round bye)

12. What do you think would be the best Super Bowl matchup?

1 - AFL 50th Anny, and note this for the "final four". Minnesota, where the owners, who had signed with the AFL, were given a team in an attempt to sink the AFL. Jets, whose survival and signing of star players like Broadway Joe made the league and thus the merger in the only Super Bowl rematch possible in the post-season outside the big game itself, Jets-Colts in the ultra-important Super Bowl III. And New Orleans, which was given a team by the NFL over the objections of the players because the two Louisiana senators got the NFL an anti-trust exemption permiting the merger. The AFL, which would probably have expanded to NO rather than Cincinnati or Miami, but backed off after the outright racism its players faced when there for an All-Star Game. With Dallas, the other team added to the NFL in 1960 in an attempt to kill the AFL, eliminated in the round of eight.

2 - I would like to go to Cabo.

3 - If I had a son, I would let him practice this skill from an early age. At worst, you are looking at a college scholly. At best you are looking at millions.

4 - I still say Farve lets the Vikings down as he let down the Jets. I would not be surprised to see him carried off the field early in New Orleans.

5 - Yep.

6 - I'm just sorry the Super Bowl is not in New Orleans this year. You know, that has never happened (home team in the Super Bowl). You would think it would have just by luck over the years.

10 - This guy is fun. If he can stay on track and interesting, he could be great.

12 - New Orleans and New York. Who want to see Manning or Farve?

Congrats on the 10K.

1. The Jets-Chargers game was an absolute shocker for me in terms of how unlikely an upset this was. The last time I was this stunned about a non-Super Bowl playoff game- Jaguars 30, Broncos 27 in January 1997.

Wow, you have some memory. How do you remember all these games? :)

2. The Jets a win from the Super Bowl, Ohio State football ending their BCS woes (and the conference's as well), their basketball team beating a high-ranked Purdue team- Sandra's teams have been en fuego since she went to Cabo! I call this "The Reverse Tony Romo Situation." Going to Cabo didn't end well for him a few years back- but it sure has for Sandy so far.

I agree with Jimbo, this is just going to have to be an annual pilgrimmage. Actually, my fiance has kept in touch with the Australian maniacs we watched the Buckeyes with and surfed with, something just tells me our next holiday vacation could be Down Under. (Cue the infantile jokes) :rolleyes:

3. After seeing all the key missed field goals these playoffs, I now understand why Adam Vinatieri was so crucial to the Patriots during their Super Bowl runs.

Rex Ryan just huffs and puffs and blows those footballs wide! :D

4. Brett Favre, that magnificent graybeard, is getting stronger down the stretch. He played well in the Bears' Monday Night game (defense let them down) and the regular-season finale against the Giants. Today- 4 touchdowns (an Al Bundy, as I like to call it).

Haven't liked Favre since he started the Will I-Won't I thing every off season with the Packers, but I have to give him credit for playing very well.

5. The Saints-Cardinals game reminded me of the 2008 Texas Tech-Oklahoma two prolific offenses in a highly anticipated game, but turned out to be very lopsided.

Is that the Michael Crabtree game?

7. In the AFC- the now-infamous week 16 game (that helped the Jets get into the playoffs, where they have wreaked havoc) will be brought up ad nauseum. Also- will a team that "Defense Wins Championshipss" believers continue the trend or will the mold be broken?

The Colts have a very good defense too.

8. After Arizona made it to the title game last year with a 9-7 record, I'm not shocked that history might repeats itself. (The team they beat to get there, Philly, was 9-6-1.)

The Jets are 9-7 but other than that I don't see much connection. The Cardinals had a Hall of Fame QB and a normal coach, the Jets have a rookie QB and Rex Ryan.

9. The Chargers are starting to remind me of the Atlanta Braves of the 1990s.

That connection I do see.

10. Rex Ryan has walked the walk. This guy has done in one season that Mangini and Herman Edwards couldn't in 8 combined.

Annoy the crap out of the entire league...;)

But I agree although he talked the talk before he walked the walk...he did ultimately walk the walk.

12. What do you think would be the best Super Bowl matchup?

There are no bad matchups.

On one side you either have arguably the greatest QB of all time trying to cement that status, or an upstart team from New York that will draw comparisons to the Joe Namath Jets, since Buddy Ryan was an assistant for that team.

On the other side you either have media magnet Brett Favre or a team trying to put a ribbon on the city's comeback from Katrina.

Sandra

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts