kinda miss the old days

I miss tech chat those two guys loved what they were doing and had a passion for making and writing the software for the new receivers. One night after watching them talking about a new two tuner receiver that ran on a Linux code that had to have two separate feeds from the dish to the receiver I was up rewiring the house . I couldn't believe I get two tuners in the same box.

Oh yes the 721pvr with dual tuners. Had three of them and they all crashed multiple times and had to be replaced over and over. But when they worked they were great. Now with the hopper 3 , I have 15 tuners for anything + 1 tuner for all 4 locals to record + 2 dual tuner ota dongle -when dual tuner is enabled =21 shows I can record at one time . . Now that is a lot of tuners.

The 721 keyboard is coming soon Dish just wants to make sure all the bugs are fixed. They are having a little trouble getting it to sink with the dishplayer . Last I heard Microsoft was going to give Charlie a free software patch . Soon everyone will have a free USB one. There is a rumor of mind blowing stuff called blue tooth but I don't think that will catch on .

The 721 keyboard is coming soon Dish just wants to make sure all the bugs are fixed. They are having a little trouble getting it to sink with the dishplayer . Last I heard Microsoft was going to give Charlie a free software patch . Soon everyone will have a free USB one. There is a rumor of mind blowing stuff called blue tooth but I don't think that will catch on .
Remember the Charlie Chat when John H won a 721.

I remember one thing about Charlie Chats that I can clearly still hear : Charlie saying uhhh.............. errrr............ over and over every time he spoke a sentence , which drove me crazy. That "verbal clutter" is something I learned in Public Speaking class in college you should eliminate if you want the viewer/listener to pay attention and comprehend what is said. It often would make me sleepy and then Jim Defranco would then laugh to break up the slow spots and I would wake back up. I really liked the tech chats a lot better ,because you learned all about the new tech and receivers, etc ,coming down the line.

Reactions: ewindowman
I don't remember the 721 giveaway but I remember this older couple Charlie had them on the set because he loved the way she would tell her husband to skip back .. Runner Back Charlie. Her and her Husband got a brand new Pvr 508 . I Also remember dish called them personal video recorders.

I self-installed a Dish basic package in Dec. '97. IIRC, I paid $299 for the kit that included 1 receiver, and the service was ~$25/mo. But what a change after 17 years of watching 2 weak OTA channels and struggling with the antenna to get anything else intermittently. What a lifestyle change the service brought...and not all was good!

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most!"
I installed mine in 1996........8 Receivers later--never had any major problems. If they didn't make it I made it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts