Kiss off Dish!

If the PQ issues were really happening we wuld be flooded with posts about it (as we have been in the past) while the PQ from Dish (and DirecTV) are not perfect, they are not too bad.

I also say they will get better in time. (especialy when they move to all MPEG4.)
I have gotten tired of posting screen grabs of all of the PQ problems on D*. If you are not getting complaints it is because the Vets have moved on or are tired of it and the newbies do not know any better. What you are left with are fan boys and newbies who attack anyone even when proof is shown to them. D* has not had decent HD PQ in about 3- 4 years, whatever the first year of partial ST HD games was. IT went right in the sh*tter and has gotten worse since..

Update: FIOS in in the house. :D
Since I've been a FIOS Internet/phone customer for two years, my router was replaced. This required the running of coax to my loft where my office/computer is, because that's where the CAT5 run from the OT box ends. Other than that, the install was fairly smooth although it seems to me that it takes a loooooong time for all channels/program guide to load into the receivers.

(I find it interesting that the program guide is sent via CAT5, processed in the router, and then sent out via coax to the receivers. What advantage does this provide?)

Bottom line: My expectations as to picture quality have been surpassed WOOHOO.
SD: What a difference from the washed out blur provided by Dish! HD: equal to OTA quality. I did side-by-side comparisons with a local HD news broadcast. On both my 34" HD direct view Sony CRT and the 8' 1080p 004 in the theater, I simply could not tell a difference between the FIOS rebroadcast and OTA. And I'm picky (DUH!)

The interface is different, and will take some getting use to. The program grid is weaker than Dish's and the Favorites implementation is poor. But the remote is well laid out, and bright and colorful. In due time, Dish's very slight advantage in this area will be forgotten as I watch one of the best pictures available today.

BTW, the tech from Dish (sub) today removed my two dishes from my roof, removed all connected coax, and hauled it away. He smiled when I told him I have FIOS installed. "Everyone wants it," he said with a wink. Dish is sending me a box to return my 622. I'll try to sell the 501 (real cheap), and the one dish with the dual horns.
My friend says the same thing about his FIOS PQ. I have signed up today.

Verizon copper cutoff traps customers
By DEBORAH YAO, AP Business Writer
Sun Jul 8, 7:32 AM ET
When Henry Powderly II ordered Verizon Communications Inc.'s FiOS fiber-optic service, he knew he was about to be connected to the future of telecommunications. He also got unplugged from its past. Which meant that while Powderly was gaining features, he was losing some telecommunications options.
Verizon's installer — without warning, Powderly says — removed the copper wires that used to carry his phone calls. For most of the world, copper still links homes and businesses, as it has for a century.
Verizon's new high-bandwidth fiber lines are fully capable of carrying not only calls but also Internet data and television with room to grow. But once the copper is pulled, it's difficult to switch back to the traditional phone system or less expensive Digital Subscriber Line service. And Verizon isn't required, in most instances, to lease fiber to rival phone companies, as it is with the copper infrastructure.
What's more, anyone who owns Powderly's house in the future will face higher bills with FiOS than another home with copper. Right now, for instance, Verizon's DSL plans cost as little as $15 a month. FiOS Internet starts at $30 a month.
"I was not given an option," said Powderly, a 30-year-old Long Island, N.Y. resident.
As it hooks up homes and businesses to its fiber network, Verizon has been routinely disconnecting the copper and, many subscribers say, not telling them upfront or giving them a choice. More than 1 million customers have signed up for a FiOS service, which is offered mainly in the suburban areas of 16 states.
Verizon copper cutoff traps customers - Yahoo! News

I have both Dish and Direct. PQ on Dish is much better than Direct. I really have had no complaints in 11 years with Dish except the fact they no longer carry MLBEI, which is why I have Direct. I am waiting to see how Direct deals with their new programming this fall to decide which one I will keep. To each their own on what they percieve as the best. Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is the PQ and quality of performance. All large corporations are the same and they only really look out for themselves.

HDMI on 622

........"My 622 has been a PITA since day one - actually, make that day 24, when the HDMI connection broke. I contacted Dish a couple of times and got nothing but grief."

I have 2 VIP-622s now with no problems. However, back when I had one VIP-622, the HDMI output just stopped working (while the component output continued to work fine). Maybe I'm just lucky but the tech that I called immediately had a replacement VIP-622 sent to me and I sent back the defective one in the same box used for the replacement. The replacement has given me no problems so I added a new VIP-622 giving me 2 problem-free (knock on wood) VIP-622 (also extending creating a new 18 month obligation to remain with Dish). My only issue with Dish was a substandard installation (on a sunny day) such that the dish pointing at the 61.5 satellite always gives signal strengths in the high 90s to 104 for all transponders but the dish pointed at the 110 and 119 satellites never gave me signal strengths above 65 (even on sunny days). Since I did not know how to check on signal strengths until later (and there was a decent picture on all channels on installation day). I did not complain until later (needless to say when I noticed that stations depending on the 110 and 119 satellites were far more prone to rain fade than those depending on the 61.5 satellites. What ticked me off was that I was charged for the visit to get right (correctly aim the dish) what should have been gotten right on day one. Fortunately it was only a $29.99 charge. Now I have signals in the 90s on all transponders (in good weather) and less rain fade issues. I am surrounded by Verizon FIOS here in Baltimore City (the counties of Howard, Anne Arundel, Prince Georges, Montgomery and in the fall even Baltimore County). Does not look like they will be set up in Baltimore City by Aug. 2009 when I am free of my contract though.
Wayne

I wish Verizon would come to the chicago marketplace, if for no other reason to get rid of the overpriced Comcrap HSI...Its funny how they have stayed out of most major market areas up to this point, and only focused on some of the smaller ones..

I wish Verizon would come to the chicago marketplace, if for no other reason to get rid of the overpriced Comcrap HSI...Its funny how they have stayed out of most major market areas up to this point, and only focused on some of the smaller ones..

When you compare Comcast's HSI pricing against AT&T's DSL pricing for the same speeds it's not that far out of wack.

yes, compared to DSL, It isnt that far out of wack..unless you can get the 10 bucks a month for 768k ATT dsl promo..
But, compared to FIOS, which I believe gives you a 15 meg d/l for 39 bucks, Comcasts pricing BLOWS; I pay 55 bucks a month for 8 meg speed, and my service goes down at least twice a month, if not more..Plus, I have their Digital Voice service, which has gone down about 6 times the first year, and have had the VOIP modem replaced twice, and they get 40 bucks a month for that, and that doesnt include their overpriced, un-reliable video service.

If FIOS comes here, I will drop Comcrap hsi/DV service in a hearbeat; and, since I am getting Dish installed tomorrow, hopefully my lousy PQ will soon be just a bad memory..

IMHO, it will be a LOOOOOONG time before Verizon starts to build FIOS systems outside their service area, they have enough places within their service area that haven't been touched yet that need upgrading. So you probably should get used to Comcast pricing.

I have been used to it for almost 10 years now; when I signed up, my bill was 1/2 of what it is now..
Still hoping Verizon comes here, especially since we just passed a new law opening up the cable/telecom business here to EVERYONE, in the hope competition breeds better pricing/service..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)