KJRH NBC Tulsa launches HD local news broadcasts

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Well for you guys that live here in Oklahoma if Dish would get the Tulsa Locals In HD added Channel 2 went HD. Heck I get the OKC channels and none of them have started do their news cast in HD this makes the 1st in the state..

KJRH launches high-definition local news broadcasts - KJRH.com

Tulsa's NBC affiliate, KJRH Channel 2, made history Monday night by becoming the first Oklahoma station to broadcast its local news in high definition.

The station unveiled its new format in its 10:00 p.m. broadcast, featuring anchors Russ McCaskey and Karen Larsen.

It will now broadcast all of its news programming in high definition, a total of 28 hours per week.

However, several stations have already begun broadcasting local news in "high def" or "HD," mostly in larger markets such as New York and Los Angeles.

Currently, only about 70 stations in 47 markets broadcast local news in HD.

The closest stations to Tulsa with HD local news are in Dallas.

“We have made this major investment in technology so that we could provide Green Country residents with the richest viewing experience possible,” said 2 News Vice-President & General Manager Michael Vrabac.

2 News’ Director of Engineering, Dale Vennes, said: "The planning and work behind the scenes to convert our newsroom, studio and control room was an all-consuming task, and we are proud our team of engineers and station staff are the first to serve Oklahoma viewers in HD."

Even consumers using a standard, analog television will notice an improvement in the clarity and quality of both the audio and video signal.

The switch also means that 2 News Meteorologists can take full advantage of state-of-the-art weather graphics and maps.

“The combination of Vipir 2HD and Double Doppler 2HD give us the ability to track possible tornadoes with the highest definition velocity data I've ever seen - giving us an unparalleled look inside the storms,” said Chief Meteorologist Dan Threlkeld. “Whenever any kind of weather affects Green Country, we'll be the only place for live HD weather”.

The combination of local and NBC programming in HD now means that the majority of the KJRH broadcast day will be in high definition.

Well for you guys that live here in Oklahoma if Dish would get the Tulsa Locals In HD added Channel 2 went HD. Heck I get the OKC channels and none of them have started do their news cast in HD this makes the 1st in the state..

KJRH launches high-definition local news broadcasts - KJRH.com

Tulsa's NBC affiliate, KJRH Channel 2, made history Monday night by becoming the first Oklahoma station to broadcast its local news in high definition.

The station unveiled its new format in its 10:00 p.m. broadcast, featuring anchors Russ McCaskey and Karen Larsen.

It will now broadcast all of its news programming in high definition, a total of 28 hours per week.

However, several stations have already begun broadcasting local news in "high def" or "HD," mostly in larger markets such as New York and Los Angeles.

Currently, only about 70 stations in 47 markets broadcast local news in HD.

The closest stations to Tulsa with HD local news are in Dallas.

“We have made this major investment in technology so that we could provide Green Country residents with the richest viewing experience possible,” said 2 News Vice-President & General Manager Michael Vrabac.

2 News’ Director of Engineering, Dale Vennes, said: "The planning and work behind the scenes to convert our newsroom, studio and control room was an all-consuming task, and we are proud our team of engineers and station staff are the first to serve Oklahoma viewers in HD."

Even consumers using a standard, analog television will notice an improvement in the clarity and quality of both the audio and video signal.

The switch also means that 2 News Meteorologists can take full advantage of state-of-the-art weather graphics and maps.

“The combination of Vipir 2HD and Double Doppler 2HD give us the ability to track possible tornadoes with the highest definition velocity data I've ever seen - giving us an unparalleled look inside the storms,” said Chief Meteorologist Dan Threlkeld. “Whenever any kind of weather affects Green Country, we'll be the only place for live HD weather”.

The combination of local and NBC programming in HD now means that the majority of the KJRH broadcast day will be in high definition.

It's a thing of beauty! I receive OTA locals from the Flint, MI DMA but am able to pick up the Detroit locals via OTA with the help of an outside antenna. Even though my wife doesn't approve, I will watch the Detroit local news just to be able to watch in HD! I know it's silly but I'd much rather watch the HD broadcast!!

I just wish, living here in Fayetteville AR, that we could select Tulsa for our locals. There's a whole lot more likelihood of them going HD way before Fayetteville/Fort Smith will.

I was watching 6 in the morning, 8 at 5pm and 23 at 10pm - now i have to find time to fit channel 2 into the mix somewhere ... it was my least fave for local news .. but as you say HD is indeed HD.

;)

6 won't be going HD until next summer when their new studios are constructed over around 1st and Greenwood in the Greenwood District. Which is when we will finally get CW in HD from Griffin also. They are building a state of the Art facility over there.

It's killing me not to have Tulsa locals in HD and now the channel we watch for news, switches their newscast to HD... Your killing me Dish......

OKC stations need to do the same. News9 has "Sky news9 HD", yet nothing is broadcast in HD. It does look like they renovated their studio a little bit ago and I'm assuming that they made it HD ready. KFOR's studio and graphics look straight out of the 1970's, so I doubt they'll be going HD any time soon. :D

Congrats guys, I'm jealous!

6 years after the first local HD newscast aired in the US, I don't see why all locals are not doing it. Even in the market with the first HD broadcast, only 2 stations (1 really as they are both owned by Capital Broadcasting) are doing HD newscasts. Slackers!

Ted

KFOR will allways be 100 steps backwards because look at the news dept and mike morgan putting up his sd weather maps all the time with puke green sd screen!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts