Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
See ksl.com - DIRECTV Suspends Transmission of Utah Jazz Games

"December 31, 2008 (Salt Lake City) --A retransmission agreement between DIRECTV, a national satellite TV provider, and KJZZ-TV, a local independent TV station that carries the Jazz basketball games, local sports and syndicated programming, will be suspended at midnight tonight. Viewers who want to see the Utah Jazz games carried on DIRECTV again should contact DIRECTV at 1-800-531-5000.

According to Chris Baum, General Manager of KJZZ-TV, "DIRECTV has denied KJZZ TV a retransmission consent agreement. They have deemed that the 16 premiere Jazz games produced in High Definition and aired by KJZZ are of no value to their customers. Although DIRECTV profits from KJZZ programming by way of monthly satellite fees to their subscribers, it has never paid for programming created or provided by KJZZ. We have established fair and reasonable agreements with the other satellite providers as well as many local cable companies. We are shocked by their decision."

Title incorrect, I've asked a mod to correct it. Sorry

----------

UPDATE 2/11/09:

DirecTV reached a transmission agreement with KJZZ for 2009, so it is back on the satellite, including Utah Jazz games.

Last edited by a moderator:
After they lost the My Network affiliation to KSCG (or KCSG I forget) St George maybe DirecTv thought "why carry another independent station" ;)

Next question is, "Will KJZZ still be available via the AM21?" Guess I'll find out in the morning.

IF your receiving the channel OTA I would see NO reason why it would not still be available to you in the AM.
Basically your receiving the channel and adding it to your D* rec and the rec is placing it in the guide , so YES, you should be able to get it the same way you have always got it.
I use OTA for my locals and it has always worked like you stated.
It will NOT work if you just get it thru D* though.

Jimbo

Last edited:
IF your receiving the channel OTS I would see NO reason why it would not still be available to you in the AM.
Basically your receiving the channel and adding it to your D* rec and the rec is placing it in the guide , so YES, you should be able to get it the same way you have always got it.
I use OTA for my locals and it has always worked like you stated.
It will NOT work if you just get it thru D* though.

Jimbo
My question is more related to D*s database, though. If a local channel isn't in their database, the AM21 doesn't even know it's there so it can't tune to it. With D no longer carrying KJZZ, will it continue to be in their database?

My question is more related to D*s database, though. If a local channel isn't in their database, the AM21 doesn't even know it's there so it can't tune to it. With D no longer carrying KJZZ, will it continue to be in their database?

IF you already have it tuned in, then yes it should still be there.

Jimbo

Well, at ~12:30AM, it was still there, but by 8:00 it was no longer available. Pretty stupid if the decision to suspend retransmission involves KUSG, as the cities are 325 miles apart.

W Pretty stupid if the decision to suspend retransmission involves KUSG, as the cities are 325 miles apart.

I think you mean KCSG as I noted above and I doubt that had anything to do with it. Its a retrans disagreement and the only reason I posted KCSG in the thread is when KJZZ decided to drop My Network TV KCSG picked it up. So now KJZZ is just "another" Independent station. :)

While KCSG may have a minor network affiliation, it's footprint is only in the southwest corner of the state; KJZZ is statewide, as well as southern Idaho, eastern Nevada, and western Wyoming.

Not to mention all the SMATVs around the state who are now without KJZZ and the Jazz games. I have a couple of them myself that I have to find a way to get KJZZ to.

I dont think you are understanding what I am saying. KCSG has NOTHING (nada, zip, zero) to do with KJZZ being pulled. DirecTv & KJZZ cant come up with an amount for retransmission so DirecTv pulled it.

and if we are talking satellite, both have the same footprint ;)
OTA, cable, etc has nothing to do with this

Not to mention all the SMATVs around the state who are now without KJZZ and the Jazz games
What does that have to do with anything? I know KJZZ uses translator stations across their area so unless the SMATV's are using DirecTv to get KJZZ they dont see any difference

I dont think you are understanding what I am saying. KCSG has NOTHING (nada, zip, zero) to do with KJZZ being pulled. DirecTv & KJZZ cant come up with an amount for retransmission so DirecTv pulled it.

and if we are talking satellite, both have the same footprint ;)
OTA, cable, etc has nothing to do with this

What does that have to do with anything? I know KJZZ uses translator stations across their area so unless the SMATV's are using DirecTv to get KJZZ they dont see any difference
Yes, I do understand what you are saying. I didn't say anything to suggest that I didn't. KCSG in and of itself had nothing to do with KJZZ going away. What I'm saying is that it was stupid for DirecTV to drop a station who has a much bigger viewership.

There will be people who will switch from D* to E* in order to be able to continue watching their favorite basketball team, just as there will be people who, when looking to subscribe to a satellite service, will go with E* because a channel they have been watching for 20 years isn't available on D*. E*'s lack of KTVXHD was a contributing factor in my going with DirecTV (that and the fact that I hate it that all of E*s equipment is proprietary).

Some SMATVs get their local programming OTA, some get it via D*. There are many who have been getting them OTA, but because of the DTV transition are switching to D* because of the equipment cost. (Buydown D*receivers cost $9. Digital demodulators cost ~$200) Now, they have to deal with the additional expense of the equipment to keep that channel on their system.

most of these retrans disagreements last a couple days. Dish's last one with Young Broadcasting lasted I think 3 days

Why does the FCC assign the same call letters to multiple stations? KJZZ is also a FM station in Phoenix.

There has always been overlapping call letters across different types of stations. However, they are usually because they are owned by the same company and request it. Like, up in Flagstaff, we have KAFF-AM and KAFF-FM, but they play different music.

A Phoenix-guy should know that...remember KTAR and KOOL? TV and radio.

DirecTV speaks on this issue, DIRECTV Statement on KJZZ

"DIRECTV continues to be interested in reaching an agreement with KJZZ, but to date, KJZZ's economic demands have been outrageous. Historically, the channel has made its signal available to DIRECTV at no charge and is also free over the air. Now KJZZ is requesting a significant fee for its programming and in this extremely difficult economic climate, these demands represent a potential burden on our customers. Though we did not want to take the station down, DIRECTV was notified by KJZZ that it would have to stop broadcasting its signal imminently if we did not give in to their demands. We remain willing to carry the channel while both parties negotiate in good faith."

Sounds like this was writted by a Dish PR person;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)