KMCI relocation barker channel

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
KMCI is running a .4 barker channel announcing the need to rescan as of this Monday, 2/11 at 10 AM. The message states they will be operating at reduced power while they make transmitter modifications. They will return to full power in April.

6EBF2AB8-950C-4AC3-829A-83F193087505.png

As a matter of fact, they've already lit up their new RF channel 25. If their power has been reduced, they could have fooled me... it's booming in 100% at a full 19mbps :)

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Not that I recall, but refresh my memory
The reason that tuners make for poor signal level measuring devices is that they have electronics in them that optimize the signal level (AGC) for the tuner's purposes. Only when the signal falls below the tuner's ability to compensate for low levels will you see much of a drop.

The reason that tuners make for poor signal level measuring devices is that they have electronics in them that optimize the signal level (AGC) for the tuner's purposes. Only when the signal falls below the tuner's ability to compensate for low levels will you see much of a drop.

I'm not certain that the HD Homerun tuners have AGC capabilities, however I do have a rather powerful preamp in the mix so I'm sure that helps.

I'm not certain that the HD Homerun tuners have AGC capabilities, however I do have a rather powerful preamp in the mix so I'm sure that helps.
Most all TV tuners built in the last 40+ years have AGC. The technology (as applied to TV) goes back to the early '70s.

AGC is how they insure that putting a pre-amp on a strong station doesn't overload the tuner.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Whether it has AGC in it or not, the signal strength meter does not reflect the use of AGC. I've compared it against my spectrum analyzer, and it shows 100% for any value over 0dBmV.

- Trip

Reactions: comfortably_numb
How many people will be looking at the new location?

They're running the crawler on the old channel occasionally, so I'm sure most OTA viewers will know to rescan tomorrow morning.

KMCI's parent, KSHB (NBC) has also lit up its new RF Channel 36 and will be moving there permanently tomorrow morning as well.

The Sub Channel also move to but doesn't effect Cable Systems.
The magic of subchannels is that, by definition, they follow the main channel. If you tune one, you've pretty much tuned them all. The channel numbers are uniquely a matter of the PSIP data and have no necessary relation to the RF channel.

Cable TV has been translating for years and that's why you might see OTA channel 2 on cable channel 702 on cable (my local Comcast puts all the OTA main feeds at 700+channel -- I don't know what they do if there are multiple HD channels).

Fortunately, this is an OTA forum and we don't have to concern ourselves with the vagaries of cable TV.

Reactions: twhy08
The magic of subchannels is that, by definition, they follow the main channel. If you tune one, you've pretty much tuned them all. The channel numbers are uniquely a matter of the PSIP data and have no necessary relation to the RF channel.

Cable TV has been translating for years and that's why you might see OTA channel 2 on cable channel 702 on cable (my local Comcast puts all the OTA main feeds at 700+channel -- I don't know what they do if there are multiple HD channels).

Fortunately, this is an OTA forum and we don't have to concern ourselves with the vagaries of cable TV.
Unfortunately the cable and dish systems here in Milwaukee don't carry all subchannels but they do carry half or little more of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Unfortunately the cable and dish systems here in Milwaukee don't carry all subchannels but they do carry half or little more of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Very few DMAs carry everything (do any?) Milwaukee isn't too bad in comparison. I suppose it depends on whether or not they are carrying the one channel you want.