"Knock down" dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
I just purchased a new sami 10 foot mesh c/ku dish.
I was on the superior antenna website and they mention a "knock down" type of dish.

What is that? Is it some type of quick deployment folding reflector?
I didn't understand the difference.

someone please clue me in.
Thanks
Trucker

That means the dish is broken down to be UPS shippable. You have to assemble the ribs and center hub and install the mesh between the ribs.
A lot more work than bolting four pre-assembled pie shaped pieces together.

Knockdown refers to models CKD-8.5, CKD-10 and CKD-12, which are descendents of former KTI (Kaul-tronics) antenna models, which SAMI manufactured under contract during KTI's last months of operation, and continue to make under their own brand name.

The knockdown style may be a bit more difficult to put together, but is a far better antenna in terms of being able to ship in a smaller package with less expense in freight charges. Not being pre-assembled minimizes the danger of damage in shipment common to four-panel antenna sections. We no longer sell the four piece design for this very reason---too many freight claims caused by rough handling, including spearing by fork lift tongs. Those considering knockdown versus sectional should also consider the eventual need to replace parts. If you try to repair a sectional antenna, it involves a tricky procedure of drilling out or otherwise removing the preassembled screws, and installing new mesh pieces to replace a damaged section. This is not always mechanically sound, because of the larger hole remaining when you get done---your choices to make a better mechanical connection include the use of Lock-Tite, a larger sheet metal screw, or to drill a new hole. If you have to replace an entire quarter panel, it ships in a huge box that is NOT shippable via UPS due to dimensional limits, and is therefore required to be sent via Motor Freight---usually with a high minimum shipment charge that can be close to the same price to ship an entire antenna.

The alternative is the CKD knockdown series. Individual panels can be purchased (rolled up in a small package that even the Post Office will ship) and shipped cheaply. Or you can cut the same from a rectangle of mesh that is shipped via a similar method and cost. Only the damaged panel needs to be removed from the antenna, and carefully replaced---meaning a much easier and cheaper repair job should the occasion arise.

FAQ quality info

Thanks Mike.

That sort of enlightening info needs to be saved in a FAQ somewhere.
That's just GOLD ! - :eek:

I'm sure other old-timers know such secrets, but it's always good to write 'em down once in a while, and share with the masses!

Thanks again ! - :up

Blair Alper and I will be doing at least a one hour segment on ACCESS AMERICA radio network this Sunday evening (10pm EST, 9pm Central,
8pm Mountain, 7pm Pacific) on Galaxy 25, 12115 MHz vertical 22.425

He needs to set up a basic T5 Ku-band system, and we're going to start from scratch, assuming nothing. Every silly detail that I can imagine to check will be done...so that he can do it himself.

If this works, we will continue to do Sunday evening shows, replacing the Friday night hour that I had been doing with Tom & Darryl for several months (they took an extended vacation after New Year's Day).

Anybody listening....we would love to hear feedback on anything that you would like to have covered on future shows, as well as questions about the satellite industry in general. Drop an Email to the usual address.

Thanks Mike,
That should maybe be a sticky in the c-band forum
It's amazing that I never really knew anything about what that meant.
I thought knockdown meant some type of sng uplink capable dish that would fold out. LOL

When I moved from AZ back to TX, dis-assembled 10" mesh and put back together. As I recall it was a total of 47 pieces. Not that hard to do, just large area to scatter stuff, several beers, and some time. The only difficulty in reassembly was retention of the outer portion (s) of the mesh. It would not fit flush back into the groove. That problem was solved by slicing a piece of 3/4" heater hose lengthwise, then riveting it around the perimeter of the dish.
Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts