Know This Has Been Discussed Before, But . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bronxiniowa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Iowa
So here's my situation:

I'm a DTV sub out of contract
I have four TVs, three in HD
I have whole home, with two HR-21s and an HR-22. They perform reasonably well.

I can probably get an equipment upgrade for little or nothing, which of course would lock me in for another two years. Not a problem, I'm probably not going anywhere because my cable system is primitive and I prefer DTV over DISH. But would it be worth it to upgrade to a Genie and minis? I can record on six channels simultaneously now, and if a receiver goes out, I still have service (and recorded programs) on the other two.

Thanks for y'all's advice.

upgrade to the Genie...keep the existing DVR's (or get of rid of 1 and just replace it with the Genie)
You will gain extra tuners, it wont cost any extra in receiver fees, and if the Genie goes out you still have programs on the other 2 DVR's
The minis will be useless if the Genie craps out

The only drawback is they will have to upgrade you to a SWM16 (you'll have 9 tuners if you drop one DVR). This requires 4 lines from the LNB to a switch

It would be if right now the OP only has one line from the dish to a SWM splitter since he is under 8 tuners

It would be if right now the OP only has one line from the dish to a SWM splitter since he is under 8 tuners
DIRECTV will install any additional hardware or cabling required as part of the Professional Installation so it doesn't have to be the TS's problem unless they go out of their way to make it so.

**sigh** thats not the point I'm getting at (but since you havent had Directv you wouldn't understand)

If the OP has only one cable coming from the dish to the splitter in the house and he upgrades to the Genie (and goes over 8 tuners) now you have to get 3 more lines into the house. For some folks it may be difficult to have 3 more lines run into the house. My parents for example have one line into the house. Their house has 24 inch concrete walls (its from the 1850's) so to get 3 more lines in (if they needed a SWM16) would be a pain in the ass.

Just quit while you're behind

Agree with harshness. DirecTV will install a new LNB, multiswitch etc as part of the installation.
It's also possible the OP is in one of the areas trialling the SWM13 LNB in which case only the LNB will need to be replaced.
If it's impossible to get the extra cables into the house the SWM16 is rated for outdoor installation (although of course the power inserter has to be indoors)

Wow. Interesting discussion.

We had 4 lines running into the house before we had whole-home, all feeding off a single splitter on the outside of the house. Guess I'll have to check to see what we have now, but all the lines appear to be coming in from outside. And yes, you're right -- we want no more holes in the house!

And would I be able to swap the non-HD DVR for the Genie, have them install it on our main-watched TV and put one of the existing HD DVRs where the non-HD was, getting all four TVs on the whole-home grid?

We had 4 lines running into the house before we had whole-home, all feeding off a single splitter on the outside of the house. Guess I'll have to check to see what we have now, but all the lines appear to be coming in from outside. And yes, you're right -- we want no more holes in the house!

And would I be able to swap the non-HD DVR for the Genie, have them install it on our main-watched TV and put one of the existing HD DVRs where the non-HD was, getting all four TVs on the whole-home grid?
sure you can do that. I have a large family and we have 6 receivers, 1 genie and 5 HD-DVRs, share 1 very large playlist, and since we have 15 tuners we usually don't have recording conflicts.

Yeah if you could let us know what you currently have from the dish to inside the house that would be great. But worst case Ontario is you will go back to 4 lines coming into the house.

yes. All HD receivers/DVR's will be on whole home since you already have it

Yeah if you could let us know what you currently have from the dish to inside the house that would be great. But worst case Ontario is you will go back to 4 lines coming into the house.

yes. All HD receivers/DVR's will be on whole home since you already have it

All you can have the SWiM16 on the outside of your home and just have two lines coming into your home.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)