Kobe agrees to play in Italy

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
And from here, if he is treated well...will start the domino effect of defections to the European leagues.

Bryant agrees to play in Italy during NBA lockout

By ANDREW DAMPF, AP Sports Writer
14 minutes ago

ROME (AP)—Italian club Virtus Bologna said it has reached a verbal agreement with Kobe Bryant(notes) for the Los Angeles Lakers star to play in Italy during the NBA lockout.

“We have reached an economic deal,” Virtus president Claudio Sabatini told a local radio station. “There’s still some things to arrange but at this point I’m very optimistic. I would say it’s 95 percent done.”

A person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press on Friday that the sides have settled on a $3 million contract for the opening 40 days of the Italian league season. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal has still not been signed.

Bryant, who spent much of his childhood in Italy, was in the country for sponsor appearances over the past two days but was flying back to the U.S. for labor talks with the NBA on Friday.

Bryant is expected to get a work visa and return to Italy next week.

“Kobe should be in Bologna by Wednesday or Thursday with his visa in hand for medical visits and then we can deposit the contract with the league,” Sabatini said. “I want to make clear that right now there are still no signatures. We’ve got to write the contract, which will then be read over and over again.”

Bryant agrees to play in Italy during NBA lockout - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Time will tell. The NHL had a ton of players who spent the entire 2005-2006 season in Europe. It did not help settle the strike and the season was cancelled.

Sandra

Time will tell. The NHL had a ton of players who spent the entire 2005-2006 season in Europe. It did not help settle the strike and the season was cancelled.

Sandra

I don't think he is doing this to help settle the strike. I think he wants to play in Italy and keep the skills fresh. I think other than the obvious of the money, the fact that he can return as soon as the strike is settle is also a huge if not the main factor. The will be an absolute with any NBA player that may sign in Europe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)