Ku analog?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
Is it possible to get with a 36" offset dish and standard LNBF?

I don't hear much talk about Ku analog, heard there is not much but feeds on it. I'm guessing if it was easily done I probably would have read about it here on the forums, but.....

I have a spare BJU 36" offset dish and just got a spare Toshiba TRX-1820 analog receiver, wouldn't mind setting it up out in the yard just to try it.

I guess one issue would be polarity switching on a voltage-controlled LNBF with the analog box.....what else is gonna shoot this idea down? :confused:

I got a Toshiba TRX-2220 Analog receiver last week and the only analog on the Ku band that I have seen so far are two color bar channels.

I have seen a few analog feeds (and regular channels) on C-Band with my 1.2 Meter dish.

My Coolsat controls the polarity and I have a DC-Block splitter connecting to the Analog receiver.

not much analog KU except maybe on Saturday's for College FB

AMC15 & H2 have some games once in a while

I got a Toshiba TRX-2220 Analog receiver last week and the only analog on the Ku band that I have seen so far are two color bar channels.

I have seen a few analog feeds (and regular channels) on C-Band with my 1.2 Meter dish.

My Coolsat controls the polarity and I have a DC-Block splitter connecting to the Analog receiver.

Thanks, qwert. Can you tell me how that is cabled?

Maybe:

LNBF ---> Coolsat LNB input ----> Coolsat Loopout ----> DC-block splitter ----> Toshiba Ku input?

Mine would be a fixed setup, so I would skew my LNB in the holder for whatever sat I pointed to. I have never used the Ku side of my Toshiba (had it for 13 years!) and don't think it has any sats programmed into it, can you select any Ku sat in the Toshiba's list as long as the H & V format is correct?

LNBF ---> Coolsat LNB input ----> Coolsat Loopout ----> DC-block splitter ----> Toshiba Ku input?
thats EXACTLY how mine is set up

Mine would be a fixed setup, so I would skew my LNB in the holder for whatever sat I pointed to. I have never used the Ku side of my Toshiba (had it for 13 years!) and don't think it has any sats programmed into it, can you select any Ku sat in the Toshiba's list as long as the H & V format is correct?

all you need is one. KU sats all use the same frequency pattern now. H2 (when it was SBS6) didnt have the same pattern but it does now. And since its slaved you only need one satellite programmed in. The Coolsat controls polarity

My setup is a bit more complicated because of my PC card and BLSA.

I have my Switch ---> Coolsat ---> Twinhan ---> [13 - 16 DB AMP] --->
[DC block / Power pass switch (homemade)] ---> Analog receiver / BLSA. :eek:

The AMP makes a HUGE difference for my BLSA and for my analog receiver.

The Analog color bars at 85.0°W AMC 16 Ku are always up.

AMC 16 has Ole Miss football on Ku analog. I dropped all of my Ku tiles from the 922. I figure if someone post something I am interested in, it will only take a few seconds to put one in that location.

KU sats all use the same frequency pattern now. H2 (when it was SBS6) didnt have the same pattern but it does now.

What is the frequency pattern? I've searched around but I haven't found it anywhere. I'm under the impression that they are in 20 MHz increments starting somewhere around 11720, but I might be completely off-base.

I originally started in FTA a few months ago with a Primestar 84e dish, a fortec star universal lnb, a DG380 motor, and a Lifetime Classic NA receiver. Tonight I wanted to watch the Iowa State game but it was on H2 analog (12080 H). I had a Pansat KR-400B receiver I picked up for a few bucks a few years ago at Goodwill on a whim, so I dug that out and managed to get it working (slaved to the NA) before the 2nd half started, a minor miracle since I had never used it before, I had no experience outside KU digital, and the KR-400B has no OSD and no manual.

The KR-400B 3-digit display scrolls the frequencies from 950 - 999, then 00.0 to 99.9, then 0.0.0 to 0.5.0 before starting back at the beginning. There's a slight pause transitioning between 0.5.0 and 950, so I know 950 is the low point and 0.5.0 is the high point. I'm guessing 00.0-99.9 corresponds with 1000-1999 and 0.0.0-0.5.0 corresponds with 2000-2050. The ISU game (12080 MHz) was on "48.0" (1480) and I also tuned in the Oregon game (11780 MHz) on "18.0" (1180).

I read on another thread in this forum that I shouldn't be able to tune 12080 analog on a universal lnb, so I'm not sure why I was able to do it successfully.

Last edited:
the frequency pattern is 20mhz on almost all the KU sats. You are correct. It starts at 11720 and goes up by 20 each channel

The analog box you describe will allow you to work with a LNBF (unlike most analog boxes). Think of it as a FTA box that can be used by itself and tunes analog :)

I had one like that. You could program it to work with any sat. Had diseqc options/22k etc. Like I say, a DVB box but it only did analog. Pain in the butt to program but it worked. Since you could change the LNB LO on it (I know mine did. It was programmable) so it would work fine with any LNB. Since its programmed by IF frequency the LNB makes the difference. As you noted above, you got the game on 1480 IF...10600+1480=12080

The older analog boxes have a set frequency limit (11720-12200) so if you shift the IF frequency 150 (as a Universal does..10600 vs 10750) the analog boxes cant go above 12200...the one you have (and I had) do allow it because you are changing the IF frequency

pic of mine (top box)

Attachments

• ANALOG 2.JPG
    ANALOG 2.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 124
Quick question: Do you need a DC block from the loop out of the FTA receiver to a analog input? Does it depend on the analog receiver? Thought that the LNB power from the analog rec didn't come from the coax.

I have a dc block on my analog box from the CS5000 by force of habit.

Does it hurt it if there isnt one? nah
ran a cable from the loop out on the Q to a blind scan box to blind scan a satellite and didnt have the dc block on it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)