Ku-Band EPG?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DapOrp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
I'm curious, I haven't been able to get an EPG what-so-ever from any of the FTA Ku birds i've locked on to. I can understand a station not offering a complete EPG for everything from now until next week, but I do recall eons ago when my friend had a C-Band setup that it would actually display what each channel was showing when he'd tune to it, as well as give the option for what was next and how much time was left, etc.

Do FTA channels just not do this or what?

EPG is mainly used in Europe and Asia. Remember most of the FTA channels in this country are not for public consumption, hence very few satellites in this country have any EPG info. I have come across some on the DBS satellites!

Yeah but there's nothing good on the DBS satellites. ;)

And yeah I guess you're right. FTA is mostly unheard of in the US.
Guess if it was more popular more things would probably be encrypted due to corporate america's rediculous obsession with squeezing every possible cent out of everything.
Which is really absurd, because then when the economy collapses and the country is bankrupt, they'll be in the same boat as the rest of us...
Anyway, that's not satellite related.. hehe. So I'll shut up now. ;)

Another reason I think EPG doesn't show on FTA channels is that they are free in the first place and adding that feature would cost them time and money, I guess. So, I figured I can't just receive their programming for free and then complain that something is missing. Unlike paid satellite service where you can view programming for a week to come, FTA comes to us in a take-it-or-leave-it-as-is format. :)

Although the content itself is and would (hopefully) remain free, some savvy businessperson could probably make a bit of money by providing and uplinking the EPG info to the various satellites. Especially if they could figure out a way to make it available only to persons who had subscribed to such a service.

I would guess however that there are probably not enough of us, not to mention enough willing to pay, to justify the cost of doing it.

That and our recievers don't store the guide they get.

The few times I've seen the guide show up, it was gone as soon as I changed sats. I guess the DBS providers don't have that problem ;).

What is the teli-text for? Would you get it on a conventional set top box?

It resembles the display on the 3270 emulator I use at work ;).

Shawn

It's a electronic newspaper inside of your FTA satellite reciever!

I was in England back in the early 1980's it's was so cool to play with it, and it's a shame here in the country did not catch on. :(

TeleText is an electronic newspaper which will broadcasted on the top of the image. On DVB it has its own PID and will be transmitted to the TV set with tv-images.

N5XZS said:
It's a electronic newspaper inside of your FTA satellite reciever!
Not only with your FTA receiver. In Europe with every satellite receiver ... also the paytv receivers of our paytv providers (e.g. Premiere Germany, Canal+ France, Digital+ Spain etc.). Only SKY Digital (UK) and the BBC (UK) have a newer version of TeleText ... it's called "SKYactive" with much better graphics, videotapes and audiotapes. And our german main channels ARD and ZDF have started their own new service ... called "MHP" (Multimedia Home Platform) ... also with video and audio.

N5XZS said:
I was in England back in the early 1980's it's was so cool to play with it, and it's a shame here in the country did not catch on. :(
yes, the BBC was the very first provider with TeleText. It was called "CeeFax".
Today most of the german channels have TeleText services.

Here I have TeleText services of some european channels:

ARD - Das Erste (ARD - The First - Germany)

ORF 1 (Austria)

BVN (Best van Nederland - The Netherlands)

MTV Central (Germany & Austria)

N24 (news-channel of ProSiebenSat1 Media - Germany)

n-tv (news-channel of the RTL Group - Germany)

I enjoyed TeleText as well. It was especially cool in pre internet times as a quick and easy way to get up to date info.

Directv had a failed attempt at a similar service with Directv Interactive. Does/did Dish Network have anything similar?

I personally love my Video On Demand on digital cable and depending how often they update it (and as the content library grows) it could be a considered like a derivative of Teletext :)

Dish Network has a form of text. It's called Dish Home, and includes Reuters news, sports info, entertainment news, accu-weather, etc. It's a bit slow, and I only use it occasionally for weather.

They do have something interesting tonight (9/24)... on the home page recently they've gone to a split screen with 6 channels. Tonight, they're showing the Arizona State vs. Oregon State game from TBS. One picture is the TBS feed... then they have 5 others... cameras identified as high end zone, goal post, reverse slash, cart camera, low end zone.

jh98 said:
They do have something interesting tonight (9/24)... on the home page recently they've gone to a split screen with 6 channels. Tonight, they're showing the Arizona State vs. Oregon State game from TBS. One picture is the TBS feed... then they have 5 others... cameras identified as high end zone, goal post, reverse slash, cart camera, low end zone.

Its the TBS Saturday game. Dish subscribers can flip screens (its on like 472-477 on a Dish receiver) and see full screen views :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)