Ku band LNB on a 18" DTV dish..can it work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Hi

I have a extra Ku band LNB, I have a extra DTV 18" dish and a extra DTV Direct way Dish (Pre Hughes net), also I have a adapter that would fit the LNB on a DTV 18" dish. I also have a extra FTA Ku Band receiver.

So can I use the 18" dish or the old "Direct Way" (Pre Hughes Net) dish with a Ku Band LNB with my Ku Band receiver ...or do I need to pick up another 76 cm Ku Band dish.... I would use it for Galaxy 19.

Lastly, does anyone know of any FTA satellite dealers near the Cincinnati/ Northern KY area? Closest I see is Columbus Ohio. If I did have to buy another 76 cm dish ... I'd like to pick it up myself.....

Thanks

I assume you have the white and very wide elliptical DirecWay dish.
The existing LNB on it is fine. LO = 10750
The feedhorn matches the dish quite well..
That would be a better solution than outfitting the dish with a 3rd party LNB (though that should work, too)

If you wanted a very strong FTA signal (there are a few), then a small dish with a linear LNB is passable.
Here's Whitesprings on a DirecTV Phase III dish, just for reference.
(not necessarily a recommendation) - :rolleyes:

You could try it, but an 18 inch dish will only work well on the strongest linear Ku transponders. You'll likely lose signal if there are any storm clouds around, and you won't get a hint of a signal on the weaker transponders.

Yes... The 18" DTV Dish works for me

You can receive a lot of the satellites in the North American arc with the 18x20 DTV dish. I use to use it all of the time for Galaxy 18. I only experienced rain fade a couple of times; it was mostly when there are black rain clouds in the area. Don’t expect to get strong quality reading and all of the transponders, but you can enough to make for interesting viewing.

I also used it for satellites that do not have a good LOS from the front of my house. I travel to a location that would have good LOS and use the DTV dish. Look at the pics, included is a pic of an experiment on finding the focal point by tuning the dish with the sun.

I just retired my 18” DTV because I bought a DN 500 off e-bay for 99 cents plus $10 shipping. I’m in the process of rebuilding my test setup.

Good Luck,
Mike Lib

Attachments

• 2009_0513_signals30001.JPG
    2009_0513_signals30001.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 1,685
  • 2009_0513_signals30002.JPG
    2009_0513_signals30002.JPG
    620.5 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 2009_0513_signals30003.JPG
    2009_0513_signals30003.JPG
    528.1 KB · Views: 531
  • 2009_0522_signals40002.JPG
    2009_0522_signals40002.JPG
    577.4 KB · Views: 510
Mike - looking forward to a thread with your Dish-500 antenna, in the future.
You know, some crazy SatGuy put one on a motor a while back. - :rolleyes:
Shouldn't be hard to search for.

As to your DirecTV dish, that appears to be the same 20" wide (18" tall) Phase III dish I used in my Whitesprings experiment (link above).
I was very careful to put the LNB mouth at the exact same location as the original LNB, and yours seems quite a bit more forward toward the dish.

As for the Dish500, I found their shorter LNB arm less convenient.
The dish width is about the same 20", which affects adjacent-bird suppression.
The 22" height just gives a little more gain.
Given optimum LNB location on both, I would be surprised at much difference in reception, and look forward to your future report.

Here is a picture to help locate the new LNB on any such dish.
I wish I'd had it when I did mine. - :rolleyes:

PS: If you stumble over a SuperDish (36" x 20"), or a newer DirecTv dish (22.5 x 32.5") with 30-some inch measurements, give one of those a try. - :up

Mike - looking forward to a thread with your Dish-500 antenna, in the future.

I will post my new test setup as I found out that a J pole is better then a straight PVC Pole. I will take pictures for your amusement.
You know, some crazy SatGuy put one on a motor a while back. -
Shouldn't be hard to search for.

Last month I was visiting my daughter in Charlotte, NC and I bring along the 18x20 DTV dish with a tripod and a motor. I motorized the dish and was able to get an arc from 72ºW to 123ºW.

As to your DirecTV dish, that appears to be the same 20" wide (18" tall) Phase III dish I used in my Whitesprings experiment (link above).
I was very careful to put the LNB mouth at the exact same location as the original LNB, and yours seems quite a bit more forward toward the dish.

Actually the LNB is in the original LNB spot. I used W1GHZ trick of taping a string from the top of the Dish to the DTV LNB and taping it to the bottom of the dish. If you observe the arm of the dish you will notice that there are 2 screw holes. (check sun experiment pic) There is approximately 3 holes each spot can be used for mounting the LNB bracket the hole closes to the reflector gives the best signal quality.

As for the Dish500, I found their shorter LNB arm less convenient.
The dish width is about the same 20", which affects adjacent-bird suppression.
The 22" height just gives a little more gain.
Given optimum LNB location on both, I would be surprised at much difference in reception, and look forward to your future report.

The 500 Dish performs well, it is much better than the 18x20. My most South sat H2 comes in at a 65 SQ on my Fortec Dynamic receiver.

Here is a picture to help locate the new LNB on any such dish.
I wish I'd had it when I did mine. -

Thanks I will print it out and keep in my files.

PS: If you stumble over a SuperDish (36" x 20"), or a newer DirecTv dish (22.5 x 32.5") with 30-some inch measurements, give one of those a try. -

I’m trying to stumble over one of those white dishes you see on gas station or a directway dish. You know it’s hard driving and looking for abandon gas station that still have the dish on the roof. :up

Bill -
Even though we were talking about using too-small dishes, I did say pretty clearly at the top of this thread, that your DirecWay dish was the way to go.
I hope you took that advice.
Here's good reading in a similar thread to encourage you along that path.

I agree with Anole. I would use your 18" dish for NASA, ION, or Angel One on 119W if you are interested in those channels. If you aren't I wouldn't even bother with using it for anything else since you have a Direcway dish you can use instead. I use an 18" for NASA and ION, but the only reason I do is b/c it was already on the house and aimed at 119W when I moved in.

Here are some more uses for an 18" dish:
How-To: Build a WiFi biquad dish antenna (I am actually in the process of making one of these. You can buy kits with all the required parts on ebay for $25. they have a few miles of range)
DIY Friday: Satellite Dish Bird Feeder | Really Rocket Science

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9f5hlBrqvg]YouTube - Food Series - Satellite Dish Solar Cooker[/ame]

ONN comes in "fairly" good with a 18" dish. Usually get around 60% until the rain comes. Then its just about nothing.

Lastly, does anyone know of any FTA satellite dealers near the Cincinnati/ Northern KY area? Closest I see is Columbus Ohio. If I did have to buy another 76 cm dish ... I'd like to pick it up myself.....

Thanks

Hi, you can call us at 1-888-519-9595 and ask for the phone # of Touba in Cincinnati. He is a dealer and buys dishes from us. Sorry I don't have his phone # with me and I am away from the office.

Followup

Here is a followup on my experimentation with a 18" Direct TV Dish with a Ku Band LNB and adapter bracket. I was able to get a 73 % level and 24 % quality. The TV signals breakup often but the radio side seems to be pretty stable.

I can't experiment with the Directway Dish due to the dish is in parts and the four nuts and the wedge and bolt needed to assemble it are missing.

But anyway...it was a interesting experiment...more later

Attachments

• DSCN0533.JPG
    DSCN0533.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCN0534.JPG
    DSCN0534.JPG
    649.5 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCN0535.JPG
    DSCN0535.JPG
    637.4 KB · Views: 294
Hi

I have a extra Ku band LNB, I have a extra DTV 18" dish and a extra DTV Direct way Dish (Pre Hughes net), also I have a adapter that would fit the LNB on a DTV 18" dish. I also have a extra FTA Ku Band receiver.

So can I use the 18" dish or the old "Direct Way" (Pre Hughes Net) dish with a Ku Band LNB with my Ku Band receiver ...or do I need to pick up another 76 cm Ku Band dish.... I would use it for Galaxy 19.

Thanks
Call this number and ask him but be carefull of him, he screwed me once about 8 years ago for $350 on a receiver

800 864 4046

Call Tom Taylor 859 356 9666 in KY a real good guy he will never screw you he's the the best and a great friend with a great heart

Or call Mike Kohl 608 546 2523 WI another great friend

DirecWay? Not a problem:

I can't experiment with the Directway Dish due to the dish is in parts and the four nuts and the wedge and bolt needed to assemble it are missing.
If you want to get it going, shoot us some good pictures of what ya got.
My bracket is currently in my bedroom, and I'll shoot you some pictures of a complete one, if it's necessary.
Otherwise, I'm sure we can come up with a hardware list to get you running!
Don't think any magical parts are needed... but if they are, I also have an industrial supplier who really is looking for business.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts