Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Am going to call this The Curse of Cyberham :mad:

Yesterday afternoon, I was fine tuning the dish. Everything and more came in except for the PBSs on 125w (12180 = 0%). Dropped the elevation down by a hair and Quality shot up to 70%. Rescanned AMC 21 and its all there. New full scan (58-125w) and lost 95% of the channels.

Re-adjusted on due south bird, rescanned and now am missing all PBS on both 87w and 125w

Prior to dropping the elevation, am positive I was 99.98% aimed right as even the SatMEx birds were coming in along w/ the 103w NBCs (just barely though). Am really scratching my head as to why 12180 improved on a different elevation then the rest.

Its the Curse of Cyberham.

Cheers, K

Am going to call this The Curse of Cyberham :mad:...
Probably your motor is, in fact, just very slightly off the arc. See attached image. When that close, especially with a motor installation, don't try to physically move the dish any more. Very slightly edit on your receiver the orbital position of 125W only and I'll bet you could get full signals from PBS and you won't affect any other satellites.

Attachments

• Motor Install Errors.jpg
    Motor Install Errors.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Makes sense. The motor is set to 43 degrees (same as my lat). I really dont feel like going up and down a latter for the next 2 weeks adjusting the motor 1 degree at a time.

Cheers, K

Don't edit your longitude configuration for your USALS on your receiver since that will affect all satellites. Only edit the 125W position in 0.2 degree increments in the Satellite List on your microHD.

Kraven mentioned he had to adjust the dish elevation. How will changing the sat's orbital position remedy his problem.
I've had similar issues in the past and the only thing that worked for me was to re-adjust the lat setting on the motor. The USALS STAB motor setup does not include any declination adjustment. The motor takes care of it but the motor has to be perfectly aligned.

Because his problem is only due to a miniscule error. In theory, you're correct. In reality, I'll bet it works. The reason is because changing the azimuth by a teensy amount changes the view of the satellite. That's my scientific analysis.

K says he is in Vt. 125 is far to the west for him. At that extreme, the dish should be changing elevation more than azimuth when rotating via the motor.

His azimuth to 125W is about 240~241 degrees. This means the motor would be 60~61 degrees west of due south. Not only can the motor do that, but probably even USALS should still work for 61 degrees off due south. Here my azimuth is 249 degrees to 125W. It is too far west for USALS, but the motor can crank the 69 degrees west of due south...just barely.

Another example: 116.8W Satmex 8 is 242 degrees azimuth for me. I use USALS to crank the 62 degrees to the west of due south and can catch Satmex8.

Last edited:
STB USALS calculations may be limited to +/-60 degrees depending on the firmware coding.

Motors can be driven to the mechanical limits as USALS and DiSEqC motor positions are simply a count number East or West from the "0" center reference point. All HH motors that I have ever tested drive to points below the horizon. Can't remember ever seeing a motor that had mechanical stops above the horizon

I've got a stab hh 90, and it will only rotate 60 degrees with usals and with diseq 1.2. It won't even drive 61 degrees. I can still get to 30w but I'm at 89.2w.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
LPB/PBS feeds on Ses2 (87w, 11808/h/11150). Anyone else lose these? Everything else is coming fine yet getting 0% on this trans.

Cheers, K

LPB/PBS feeds on Ses2 (87w, 11808/h/11150). Anyone else lose these? Everything else is coming fine yet getting 0% on this trans.

Cheers, K

They take it down anytime they are broadcasting a special event. They are currently using it for the Bama-LSU game on the same sat.

They take it down anytime they are broadcasting a special event. They are currently using it for the Bama-LSU game on the same sat.

Correct, and just as a side note, the LPB mux was up late last night (after the games were over) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts